NEWS: Netflix to Raise $2 Billion For New Original Content

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Aaron Macarthy Beards

Aaron Macarthy Beards
      Editorial Contributor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +47
    2. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,774
      Astounded to hear that Netflix are losing money, they must have a massive amount of customers by now.

They should stop making a new TV series every week that flops and only lasts one season, then buy in some old, decent programs/movies.

3. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +301
      Likely not going to happen unfortunately. Content makers seems increasingly concerned with holding onto their properties to launch on their own streaming services, so won't licence them to the competition. This is why Netflix spent so much to create their own content, so they are essentially their own network and didn't have to rely on licencing deals with others.

But they do need to cut back though, they have several Originals coming out every week it feels. I can't help but suspect that making less Originals, but putting more into the marketing of those, would boost their subscriber count. Right now they're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

4. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,774
      Less Originals would certainly help, most of the new series are junk anyway.
      Sure, there's the occasional gem like "Hill House", but for every one of those there seems to be dozens of dull derivative examples.

I'm not sure marketing is at fault, everyone's heard of Netflix and viewing figures are approaching those of SKY in the UK.

5. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +407
      I'd certainly want them to focus on quality over quantity, and gain more international rights for shows like Star Trek Discovery, DC Titans, etc.

6. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +301
      I give it one year before DC pull their stuff off Netflix for their DC Universe streaming channel.

7. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,445
      Give it a few years and Netflix are going to be in a very different position. Taking on this $2 billion debt is the start

8. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +981
      I think the counter argument to this is that they went went from niche/ derivative to near enough global dominance while dropping non-original content, so they are doing something right and hopefully they continue. I still consider it to be the best value service I have ever subscribed too. It's miles ahead of Prime for example

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    9. douki

douki

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +188
      I'm not bothered about old shows and movies on a streaming service. Netflix is awesome right now and hope it continues.

10. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +825
      Netflix are never going to outspend Amazon in the long-term, a company that has access to the world's cheapest capital. I get what Netflix is doing, but I'm not sure how this differentiates them from other big providers. HBO run on a fraction of the budget and produce better shows - a company that has cracked "scaling creativity." The future is going to consist of several streaming dominant providers. How does digging deeper in to debt every year secure your future? This is not a game with an end, it's an infinite game. Netflix just isn't sustainable, growth in subscribers has already slowed.

Going back to Amazon, they will clean up long-term and I wish regulators would break them up.