NEWS: Netflix to add games as subscriptions slow

Would be great a they have some of the old classics like Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Space invaders and many more for us older generation. I don't seem to last long in these modern game these days.

Speaking as an old fart, it would not interest me at all.

If they asked me how they could improve my subscription, I'd say I want more films available and more films in 4k.

If they asked me about improvements to the service I'd say:
(1) A more complex pricing structure. I want 4k but I don't need extra users. There may be people who want more users but don't care about the quality.
(2) When on the home screen and it does the previews please lower the volume of the previews!
(3) They put a film on in 4k with Atmos (normally if it's new to Netflix) then six months later you fancy watching it again and it's in 1080 and 5.1. Keep them at the same level please.

Would be great a they have some of the old classics like Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Space invaders and many more for us older generation. I don't seem to last long in these modern game these days.

The last driving game I played, REVS on the BBC Micro, screenshot:
1626875626139.png

Gaming doesn’t really interest me. As above I’d prefer Netflix to review their pricing policy. I don’t mind paying a little bit more for 4K but when Disney and Amazon can do it for £7.99 per month with unlimited devices how can Netflix justify their pricing? To me at least, they can’t claim better content.

If they asked me how they could improve my subscription, I'd say I want more films available and more films in 4k.

(1) A more complex pricing structure. I want 4k but I don't need extra users. There may be people who want more users but don't care about the quality.
(2) When on the home screen and it does the previews please lower the volume of the previews!
(3) They put a film on in 4k with Atmos (normally if it's new to Netflix) then six months later you fancy watching it again and it's in 1080 and 5.1. Keep them at the same level please.
1) I agree
2) You can stop that yourself in the settings
3) I've never come accross that - d you have any examples? Cannot imagine why they would do that with their own content. Perhaps the Dolby vision 4k atmos icons were just not showing that day with some sort of error.. would not be the first time!

Hi flashf1, it's quite common. I think it's to try and reduce bandwidth usage.
I wonder if they have a limit on how much 4k content at any one time that they set themselves? Streaming services are criticised for bandwidth usage aren't they.

Yes but as soon as it proves popular, netflix will start to charge for it.

Most things these days are about sucking you in with freebies or promotions and then charging you later on for it.

I got my xbox for games, stick to what your good at Netflix, tv shows and movie content.

Why does every big company feel like they need to stick their fingers in every piece of the pie.

Can see it now, games added to service, 12 months later, price increase, despite a huge majority hardly using the service for the games.
But for Netflix its a reason to raise the prices, they got to keep the cash flow coming!

Profit/growth at all costs to appease shareholders and Wall Street is unsustainable, but that's the problem we have now, and all companies see is a hit to the share price and smaller/no dividend pay-outs to investors. We're in a bad place, and until there's a global culture change, we're stuffed. The pandemic led to massive growth for some businesses in a short space of time, and there's no way that's repeatable.

they need to start showing old classic films from the 50's, 60's, 70's, none of the streaming services seem to offer old classic movies, surely there is people like myself out there that would like that, as an above poster said, xbox and playstation are for games,

Its going slightly off-topic, but if they didn't take the mick with the pricing and hideous quality for anything outside of true 4K/HDR they would likely keep subscribers, and drive increased uptake.

Despite assurances their new image optimisation tech DOES have a significant impact to picture quality. 1080p on Netflix is an artefact mess compared to that of Prime/Disney +. Have a look at the actual bitrates and they are significantly worse than they have ever been.

Other than the fact they are now included in my Sky package, I would have promptly dropped it as oppose to pay £15 a month!

Hi flashf1, it's quite common. I think it's to try and reduce bandwidth usage.
I wonder if they have a limit on how much 4k content at any one time that they set themselves? Streaming services are criticised for bandwidth usage aren't they.
Can't be that common if I've never seen it. Again do you have any example of Netflix own 4k DV content suddenly not being 4K DV..?

Can't be that common if I've never seen it. Again do you have any example of Netflix own 4k DV content suddenly not being 4K DV..?
Apologies it was not you I was initially replying to! But the question still stands..

If this new Mike guy previously worked at Zynga, the only thing Netflix will be interested in is revenue from micro transactions from silly little farming/cooking games and hope enough kids rinse their parent’s stored credit cards. This isn’t to add value to what we already pay or retain subscribers.

I was good at playing PolePosition on the Atari 2600
View attachment 1544741

Not wishing to be picky, but that's a screenshot of the actual full arcade version.
This is the 2600 version. (Which I also bought and enjoyed playing when it 1st came out)

hqdefault.jpg

Whilst I'm not really into mobile gaming. Mostly due to all the horrid adverts and in-app purchases. I'm keen to see what Netflix is doing here.

In 10 years we will have 20 streaming platforms,bigest fragmentation of market ever.
Content is pure garbage across all streaming platforms now with couple exceptions.
Average grade for original streaming content is around 6/10
With games will be even worst.

These are all incremental things and wouldn't drive growth. They are minor "nice to haves".

This is part of a much bigger move to become the dominant OS for the living room. I posted elsewhere about this: NEWS: Netflix subscriptions overtakes pay TV for UK viewers

Road Rash on the N64 was a top game. Wouldn't want to play it on Netflix, though.

I have a PS4 (PS 5 once i can source one), a PC that can l play older games on, so not really interested in games. As i can connect anything i want to play games on onto my tv. And i have far more choice and quality than netflix can offer.

As others have said, more 4k and maybe improve things with quality over quantity.
And fix the pricing.

I dropped Netfllix, 14.99 is a rip off for 4k content, disney +, Prime and Apple do it for same base price. 79.99 for 12 months prime or 7.99 a month. You can have Prime and disney for cost of Netflix. (If you do an annual subscription)

That may be why subscriptions are slowing.

And apple tv is at 4.99 though not much content to subscribe each month, but I think Foundation will see me subscribe, trailer looks really good. And 40 meg stream so better quality.
if only Netflix could do this.

Had I not got Netflix via Sky for a fiver, I would’ve cancelled. £15 is way too expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom