NEWS: Netflix subscriptions overtakes pay TV for UK viewers

I’m not sure it’s that far down the road.

It seems like pretty much every other day someone else is launching their own streaming service to showcase their own content.

There’s only so much people will pay. There’ll come a point when people will say enough is enough, I’ll subscribe to a couple, maybe 3 and that’s that. And that’s ignoring the elephant in the room, that pretty much anyone these days can find everything for free with minimal effort.

Sky, Netflix, Prime, Apple TV+ for me and Prime is only for the deliveries. That’s my limit, I refuse to subscribe to any others.

It seems like pretty much every other day someone else is launching their own streaming service to showcase their own content.

There’s only so much people will pay. There’ll come a point when people will say enough is enough, I’ll subscribe to a couple, maybe 3 and that’s that. And that’s ignoring the elephant in the room, that pretty much anyone these days can find everything for free with minimal effort.

Sky, Netflix, Prime, Apple TV+ for me and Prime is only for the deliveries. That’s my limit, I refuse to subscribe to any others.

Yup I am going to agree with the above. I ditched Sky then took on Netflix, Disney+ and Prime so there is no room for anything else for now.

Maybe considering changing one of them for another subscription but my kiddo needs to get older faster before that happens LOL.

Sure, of course we can all sense some consumers are moving from streaming enthusiasm too streaming confusion / fatigue. But given the subscriber growth rates are still fairly well +ve, and there is much more +ve sub growth on a global basis to be had, its going to be a while before we move to the next phase.

That will entail either squeezing a bit more consolidation (of platforms), if the regulators allow it, and then the companies will need to go through a couple of years of subscribe stagnation / losses, during which they offer more granular pricing plans in an effort to retain subscribers.

Only then, once we have gone through those phases, will the platforms think about allowing Apple and their like to offer discounted bundles.

We've got a long way to go before we get there, if we ever do. This is not happening in the next 2-3 years, more like somewhere in the 5-8 year window from today. The industry is nowhere near mature enough for these developments to happen.

I think the major players will be fine, it's just the little ones, like Starz for instance that might struggle, they just aren't going to have enough content to keep subscribers year round, which is going to lead to a lot more subscribe for a month, maybe a couple of times a year and binge everything. Not sure how sustainable that is for their business model.

Netflix must have some concerns, if they're adding games, although I'm not sure how many new customers that's going to attract.

The margin is highly relevant - they sell highly priced hardware, and leverage the ecosystem to sell services (increasingly). Most of their hardware has short upgrade cycles, even if the phone upgrades have lengthened a bit. But low margin TVs with a replacement cycle of 5-7 years is of no interest to them.

Have to agree with this, Apple values high margin then anything else, you just need to take a pip at their annual statements.
It also wouldn't make sense for Apple and it's not the way they've operated since their success in 2000's.

What we have now is choice something we didn't have before, you got Sky or cable and you had to sign up for 12 months and have some hardware in your home. Now you open a app press cancel, open another app reactivate your account and bam you are good to go, no sales rep, no pressure tactics.

Being able to hope from service to service is already a massive game changer from just 7 or 8 years ago the industry has just had a major shake up with the advent of streaming and and now direct to consumer for the first time.

I do expect some of the smaller services to fall by the wayside or maybe even merge or align themselves with some of the other smaller players.

Heck even Sony are looking at Anime being their trump card with the acquisition of both Funimation and Crunyroll. But I expect the big guns like Netflix, Amazon, Disney to be around for a while and only Paramount (partnering with Sky) have announced any plans for Global expansion from the 3 other major players with WB and Peacock being US(ish) only for now.

Netflix must have some concerns, if they're adding games, although I'm not sure how many new customers that's going to attract.
I wouldn't say that says that at all, they are listed as a Technology company and not a Entertainment one. History is littered with companies that become complacent and fail to innovate and keep up with the latest trends and changes in the market place.

They have 200 million customers it only seems natural to leverage that direct to consumer relationship to see if there are any takers.

If you want to play games, I'd say you were more than covered on your phone/tablet/PC/console.

I get that you'll probably get some existing customers that might use it, if it was there, I just don't see it attracting new customers.

As to your point about having a choice, I wonder how long before any of them decide they don't like people dipping in and out a month at a time and make it a 12 month contract?

If you want to play games, I'd say you were more than covered on your phone/tablet/PC/console.

I get that you'll probably get some existing customers that might use it, if it was there, I just don't see it attracting new customers.

As to your point about having a choice, I wonder how long before any of them decide they don't like people dipping in and out a month at a time and make it a 12 month contract?

Havent Netflix already started trialling an admittedly soft clampdown / restriction on password sharing?

But yes, I agree, the current flexibility may well not endure for many more years. I'm pretty sure that fixed contracts, be they 6 or 12 months will be with us sooner rather than later.

TV, meaning traditional broadcasting TV (Freeview, Sat, Cable) has been shifting towards the internet for years. Indeed the process started years ago. But I'm not just talking about cable cutting, I'm also talking about linear TV moving onto the internet away from Freeview, Satellite and Cable. Its not a question of if it will happen but when.

Freeview have been saying for years that they were going to offer to work service via streaming and yet we are still waiting

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom