NEWS: Netflix reveals how viewing metrics determines a show's success

topgazza

Distinguished Member
As I watched the first 3, I think, series of Designated Survivor before it went all woke and obsessed with unbalanced loading of character types creating an unreal diversity and inclusivness aka BBC programs does this count as complete, watcher or just "got fed up and stopped watching a good program gone rotten"

Last edited:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
?

Explain please dante01

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The wording you used is often found within company mission statements and is what many observers suggest to be classic middle management speak (gobbldygook). A company is already obligated to respect and abide by laws relating to equality so the statement is pointless. Would omiting it have been a declaration of that companies wishes to be racially prejudice or its intentions to discriminate in some way? It is a box ticking excercise as opposed to being of any use to anyone reading it.

What are you suggesting be more appealing to your tastes, exclusive sameness?

By the way, I applaud the BBC for including eskmos on all its panel shows. Where else would they get such work if it were not for the BBC?

Last edited:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Ah, and the answer is no. But I get the irony :)

I was just making the point that when you stop watching a series, in this case because it has changed to much when Netflix have taken over the writing and spoiled it for my family by over compensating in "minority" characters, does that count as a watched or completed program.
But regardless of the reasons do they recognise when people start to drift away from a series as time to call a halt to making it ? In DS case I have read a few forums where the change of style in the program has probably meant a lot of people switching off. Again in this case at a clearly identified change in that style. I hope they do as they spend billions on programs and can't afford too many failures although I like the risks they take from time to time.
They must be able to collect data from streaming to measure popular and unpopular programs.

Last edited:

Jeek

This sounds like a gross over-simplification to me. I used to work for a TV Service Provider technology company and we had metrics for pretty much every type of behaviour you could think of, e.g. how many watched 1%, 2%, 3%..., when people would rewind or fast-forward, or pause etc. Netflix is know for being at the cutting edge of analytics and analysis of user behaviour so its odd that they suggest it boils down to only three metrics. I guess its a simpler message to content creators however. Or just trying to shut people up that keep asking.

As I watched the first 3, I think, series of Designated Survivor before it went all woke and obsessed with unbalanced loading of character types creating an unreal diversity and inclusivness aka BBC programs does this count as complete, watcher or just "got fed up and stopped watching a good program gone rotten"
I'd believe that each season is measured on its own metrics. So they'd be fully aware if most people watch the first 2 seasons then not the 3rd for example, or stop during the 3rd.

What's interesting these days in the streaming/binge watching world is that seasons by e.g. Netflix are commissioned and created in full before a single episode is released to the public. Bit different to broadcast shows that can be cancelled before the whole season has finished.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Over simplification at that high level yes. But as you say measuring which shows are dropping in streaming numbers during a run would provide the data to at least make an assumption of loss od popularity. It's always a shame when you enjoy a series to find it discontinued at the end and no ore being made. But then one man's poison etc etc

Top Bottom