NEWS: Netflix February price rise for UK customers

That's unfortunate. Hopefully, for me, they don't reverse it.

Are these Turkish or other foreign country gift cards to enable cheaper membership?

If so, if it needs it, perhaps explain how to get it working for others.
Yes sorry. They are Turkish cards. I got mine from here:- https://www.g2a.com/en/netflix-gift-card-100-tl-turkey-i10000006307013

You don't need to be on a VPN to purchase the card. Then you do need to be on a VPN to redeem it. The way I got the redeem to work was open a new private browsing window whilst on a VPN. Login to your Netflix account. Then in a new tab in the InPrivate browsing session go to Netflix.com/gift and redeem the card against your account. Then you are done, you don't need to be on a VPN for anything after that.

I pay 41.99TL (Turkish Lire) pcm.

That's £4.16 at my time of posting.

Have Netflix stopped taking Revolut as a payment method?

I pay 41.99TL (Turkish Lire) pcm.

That's £4.16 at my time of posting.
Do you need to make sure there is enough balance on your revolut account, or does it go through anyway and then funds automatically transfer from your main bank to cover it? (like PayPal)

I don't use Revolut and never have.

I have a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions.

Well the VPN didn't work for me, despite using a VPN to get to Turkey and then using Revolut, it still took the full £13.99 from my old payment method 🤷

badsimian reported they couldn't get it to work on the previous page as well.

He also posted a workaround by buying Netflix Turkey Gift Cards.

I'm guessing they've figured out how to block it.

They don't know you're using a VPN but they do know the IP addresses of most the VPNs so they block those. Maybe a DNS service woud work better.

Just tried the Turkey method with Windscribe, comes up blocked :(

I got the email tonight. A £1 increase for the standard HD plan. I won't lose any sleep over it. Its the 4K plan increase which looks steep to me.

I finally got around to dropping Netflix after about 5 years. In our house, it has become the least watched service. The kids are getting older and tend to watch YouTube/Instagram/Disney+. The only services we have in our house are

• Amazon: Free via Vodafone Entertainment
  • Disney+ - signed up for the year. I will review what is on Star (? - the 14+ content coming at the end of February) and go from there
  • Tidal =- ~ £4 for Family HiFi via Turkey
The email comes one month before your February payment is due by the looks of it.

I will probably sign up again later in the year for a month or two via Turkey to binge. Interestingly, I requested a download of my data from Netflix (if you are curious, here is a link to a document outlining what they collect). They log every stream including device name, type, client, IP addresses, duration, etc. It makes me think if they wanted to block people signing up in other countries, they could but it is probably not in their interests to.

EDIT: fixed link

Last edited:
Just checked my account out of curiosity, the billing date is 9th February and I have had no notification of an increase, still shows £11.99. Could it be because I just joined in December and as a new member they do not want to frighten me off :rotfl:

Just checked my account out of curiosity, the billing date is 9th February and I have had no notification of an increase, still shows £11.99. Could it be because I just joined in December and as a new member they do not want to frighten me off :rotfl:
Don't think so - I've been a member for years, and I've seen no notification of an increase, and my next bill is still for 11.99, having logged in and checked.

It's odd, I've had no correspondence either and we're only a few days away from Feb (and my billing date is the 1st of each month). Yet they happily spam my emails with 'rate this show' and 'continue watching' messages.

I think Im going to cancel and switch to disney+ for the time being and watch a load of there new content coming soon, then I will cancel and switch back to Netflix when there new content interests me. Just keep doing that I think.

Save a bit of money while i'm not with Netflix then, as I have the 4k package.

Don't think so - I've been a member for years, and I've seen no notification of an increase, and my next bill is still for 11.99, having logged in and checked.

Same, mines 31st this month, no change yet.

I was going to cancel but I will wait until my disney + annual sub expires in March, and then switch between them every 2-3 months.

I had to change my Monzo card after a fraud alert so now I'm out of the Turkish sub :(

Managed to re-activate via Turkish gift card but I can't enter my new card for back up payment, with or without VPN.

Thinking of sticking with Netflix as other in the household like to watch it as well, im on the 4k package.

Has anyone dropped from the 4k to the £9.99 HD sub?

I see this covers two screens, so would be fine still, I doubt I would miss the 4k if im honest, have other services like apple/disney and UHD discs for that.

I dropped down from 4k to the middle package. There just wasn't enough 4K HDR content on there that I was interested in make it worthwhile. Besides, 4K disk quality has spoiled me, 4K streaming doesn't come close and the drop in quality from Netflix 4K to upscaling their 1080 isn't exactly night and day.

I dropped down from 4k to the middle package. There just wasn't enough 4K HDR content on there that I was interested in make it worthwhile. Besides, 4K disk quality has spoiled me, 4K streaming doesn't come close and the drop in quality from Netflix 4K to upscaling their 1080 isn't exactly night and day.

Just dropped to HD package.

As I want to sign up to Disney+ as well for the new content being added soon.

I do have too many subs really.

Amazon prime £7..99 (mainly for the delivery)
Netlfix £9.99
apple one £14.99
disney + £7.99 (I currently have an annual sub that expires soon)

I suppose thats not to bad, when you consider all the content you get, certainly cheaper than Sky/VM and so on.

Depends what you watch. It may be cheaper than Sky, but I watch way more on Sky then Netflix and Prime put together.

If it wasn’t for getting the cheap Netflix deal off Sky, I’d definitely have dropped down to the HD tier or cancelled.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom