NEWS: Netflix February price rise for UK customers

Currently have... Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube Premium, Apple TV, Disney+ and Now TV Entertainment & Movies.

I cancelled Now TV a few days ago and Apple TV won’t be renewed when the free trial ends - I’ll subscribe for a month and binge what I want to watch (currently just ‘The morning show’!).

Unless Amazon split their bundle, I suspect I’ll stick with Amazon, Netflix, Disney+, and YouTube. Still a fair whack every month or year though!

Been watching Cobra Kai on and off on YouTube. Internet suggests season 3 is a Netflix exclusive?

That's how they get you...

I've just downgraded mine to the HD 2 screen tariff because of this.
It's highly unlikely I'm going to be running more than two devices at once and my Shield upscales to 4k nicely anyway.

Thanks Netflix, you've saved me some money!

I subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix's HD package. Usually one or the other at a time, but at the moment I have both. A £1 a month increase doesn't even make me bat an eyelid as its still value for money. The £2 for ultra HD is a bit steep though.

Eek. Their pricing is really getting steep for what’s on there. Well worth it if you can grab it cheap through SKYQ

Subscription are up with worldwide stay in global pandemic with TV networks. This is just taking advantage to cash in cheerio Netflix shocking announcement. And to be upping the premium subscription with HDR & D Vision which is extremely limited is disgusting.

Last edited:
I think NetFlix is good value and will be sticking with it despite the price rise, but I'd like to see more films in 4K HDR, rather than just 1080p.

I've really surprised at how many people say they are happy to share their account details with friends and family members. I must be far more paranoid than most, but I would never, ever share any online account details with anyone.

Regards,
James.

It's a username and password. They're not able to access any financial information as the details are hidden.

With their access, they can see which Netflix account I have but they know this as they use it.
What my email address is, they already have that.
My telephone number, again, as above.
What I've been watching. It's not really that exciting.

The last 4 digits of my Credit Card.

If they weren't friends/family who I trusted, I wouldn't share it.

Aslong as it provides fantastic, meaningful, high quality content with awesome image and sound quality on demand, I'm happy to bite. Compared to the dross which Sky offered us for god knows how much, Netflix et al are a phenomenally good value proposition despite the price hikes.

Came expecting tears, was not disappointed! :D

download.gif

......really surprised at how many people say they are happy to share their account details with friends and family members. I must be far more paranoid than most, but I would never, ever share any online account details with anyone.

Regards,
James.

I feel exactly the same so there's at least two paranoids👍

I feel exactly the same so there's at least two paranoids👍

Do you work in IT per chance, as I do?
Honesty, the cavalier way many people manage their online accounts absolutely terrifies me 😲.
It's a username and password. They're not able to access any financial information as the details are hidden.

With their access, they can see which Netflix account I have but they know this as they use it.
What my email address is, they already have that.
My telephone number, again, as above.
What I've been watching. It's not really that exciting.

The last 4 digits of my Credit Card.

If they weren't friends/family who I trusted, I wouldn't share it.

That's enough information for a determined social engineer (hacker) to manipulate an unsuspecting employee, and before you know it, they've stolen your identity. It's absolutely amazing what social engineers can leverage with just small nuggets of personal information about you. By giving your account details to others, you have lost control of that data.

We all have different levels of risk that we're happy to live with - but I'd strongly advise against doing this.

Regards,
James.

That's enough information for a determined social engineer (hacker) to manipulate an unsuspecting employee, and before you know it, they've stolen your identity.

He's an accountant, not a computer wizard.

How is a hacker going to get the details off him any differently than they can get them off me?

It's a login and a password. He's not selling it on the Darknet, he uses it to log into an app on his TV. I doubt very much he's used it for anything other than that and quite possibly he doesn't even know what they are as I setup his TV for him.

Also, good luck to anyone that can socially engineer much from me.

Social media. This and a couple of other forums are as close as I get, different usernames, passwords etc. No Facebook, Twitter, Snappypants etc.
Google me, and depressingly you get nothing, you get a lot of other people, but not me.

Last edited:
I made a email alias just for setting up streaming accounts so I can share and trade them with friends and family.

I made a decision in 2008 that instead of getting SKY for £60 pm I would get Freesat and an Apple TV 1st gen and just rent the movies and TV shows that we wanted to watch. I still have that figure in mind for my monthly spend on streaming/rental etc but never used to get close spending it, but now my Apple TV 4K can deliver everything including ITV Hub, 4OD+, Prem League, US services, I’m probably at £50 but there is almost nothing I can’t view.
Is this a good thing? I’m not so sure, I definitely much more time on the sofa.

Oy Oy Savaloy! Is this ear where ya moneys might be going mate. How much of this price gouge is towards funding the Crown Prince and Princess to be financially independent (Ah bless, I feel warm and fuzzy all over), and you, the great british tax payer, are you potentially picking up the bill for it? Is this just coincidence? Here is what The Mercury Times had to say:

"The plot thickens with Harry and Meghan’s Netflix deal: Couple pitched personal videos for documentary, report says
To get their multimillion-dollar Netflix deal, Harry and Meghan had to offer up something more ‘commercial’ than just a desire to produce feature films and docuseries with ‘worthy’ messages, a report says."

"Various reports have said the deal could earn the couple $100 million or more, an amount that would help their goal of becoming financially independent from the royal family and give them a global platform from which to promote their personal brand and philanthropic causes."

The plot thickens with Harry and Meghan’s Netflix deal: Couple pitched personal videos for documentary, report says

Oh, and when is the next Spotify price hike coming? Who is up for a Royal podcast....... anyone, anyone?

Another increase... 🤨, well I suppose it was inevitable.

I only pay for Netflix, but share a Prime, Sky Go and Disney subscription from others.

Pretty glad I don’t have a TV Licence.

Love how people are shocked over this. Like wow, it's how the world moves. Try having a season rail ticket to feel like your being taken advantage of.

Sky goes up, Virgin goes up etc etc etc.

I do have Netflix via Sky mind you, so it's less half the price.

However, there are more than enough people and more than enough streaming services for the reality of overkill to start to take hold with all the price hikes. For the time being, none of them is going to allow an "umbrella" service, but this will change, because people will be forced to pick and choose and at some point, this is going to have a real effect on the subscription numbers. While making money of course matters, the boardroom always looks at growth

I should ask my boss (God bless you Charlotte as I only see you twice a year) for a 17% payrise......

She will have the look of "Marlon Brando (Apocalypse Now) The Horror" 😮

I think there has been a £4p/m price rise in the past year for the 4k package. Use the vpn method last month (took a few attempts as netflix have cottoned onto this now and you can only get it to work with certain vpns) but managed to use netflix brasil to get it now to £6.60p/m.

Do you work in IT per chance, as I do?
Honesty, the cavalier way many people manage their online accounts absolutely terrifies me 😲.

That's enough information for a determined social engineer (hacker) to manipulate an unsuspecting employee, and before you know it, they've stolen your identity. It's absolutely amazing what social engineers can leverage with just small nuggets of personal information about you. By giving your account details to others, you have lost control of that data.

We all have different levels of risk that we're happy to live with - but I'd strongly advise against doing this.

Regards,
James.
I too work in IT and don’t share my Netflix account details (but not for any specific reason). But to counter your argument, by not sharing your account details Netflix can build up a picture of you, your likes and habits. If you shared the account then the viewing habits of your friends / family would muddy the picture of you (assuming they don’t watch the same shows at the same time 😆)

I think I will part ways with Netflix. They did pioneer 4K DV and Dolby Atmos streaming, and, when they produced Marvel content, there was excellent stuff to watch. Now, more misses than hits with their programming, and too many cancellations of shows which had potential. I can see myself joining for a month at a time if something very good comes on the list (they can still do it), but this latest move feels like Netflix fleecing their existing subscribers to meet the demands of competition. Fair enough if the quality was there, but I don't think it is anymore. Unfortunate.

I cancelled my netflix sub when they edited out the suicide scene from 13 Reasons Why due to twitter cry babies.

I don't miss it at all really.........as I use my brothers and he uses our Amazon Prime!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom