NEWS: Netflix February price rise for UK customers

£4-£4.50 from Turkey
This just demonstrates the inequalities of pricing around the globe for streaming services. There was a case sometime back about a pub streaming Sky from Greece to the UK. It created a lot of noise but, not sure what happened? I have some friends that are using VPN services to streaming from other (cheaper) places in the world. It sometimes works but, need to be careful about the payment method used as this can be tracked back.

That’s my sub cancelled then. I’ve been thinking about it for a while actually as Netflix had a poor 2020 for good, new content, and would have probably cancelled soon anyway. This will give me the final push to click that cancel tab. I'll still dip and out of it when there's some good stuff added but I wont keep it is a rolling subscription anymore.

Think I’ll switch to Disney+ in February when the new Star service is added.

Last edited:
Bye Bye Netflix, no time to watch it nowadays and most of the new programs don't interest me

This just demonstrates the inequalities of pricing around the globe for streaming services. There was a case sometime back about a pub streaming Sky from Greece to the UK. It created a lot of noise but, not sure what happened? I have some friends that are using VPN services to streaming from other (cheaper) places in the world. It sometimes works but, need to be careful about the payment method used as this can be tracked back.

Doing it "my" way, I only needed a free VPN to do the signup once I'd let my UK based one lapse.

Logged into Netflix Turkey, entered my details and the plan I wanted and within a few minutes I was back up and running, all the shows I was watching were still at the same place, it's all in English and i don't need a VPN to connect to stream or manage my account anymore.

Someday they'll probably stop it working but I've had it well over a year now @~£4.20 pcm for the 4K package.
If they do block it, I'll just go back to doing what I did before, stop it until there's a pile on things I want to catch up on, run it for a few months and cancel again.
With it being so cheap via Turkey I just let it run all the time.

Last edited:
Think I will drop to the HD plan then, 4K is nice to have, and I do find Netflix has enough content to justify the sub, but that's a steep increase. With only two of us in the house, we never use the extra streams, and only one TV is 4K anyway. l'll probably put that few quid towards Disney+ if the "Star" content is any good.

Which vpn is best to use to access signing up via Turkish Netflix.

Which vpn is best to use to access signing up via Turkish Netflix.

I honestly can't remember which one I used, it was free and an extension for Chrome.

I tried it without VPN and it didn't work.

Also, make sure your Credit or Debit Card doesn't charge for foreign currency transactions.

Think this will be a bad move for them IMO.

The Increase to £11.99 had me a little disgruntled, Especially when they then reduced the PQ.

I noticed over the last few months Amazon Prime have had pretty much all the same new films as Netflix, And over the last few weeks Amazon seems to have a lot more new content unless I am imagining this?

So this leads me to something others keep mentioning.....Why pay for netflix every month when you can just pay for 1 month and binge watch a few times a year!?!

I see prime video as a bargain really as we hammer amazon for delivery :laugh: Plenty of films readily available to stream and lots of 4K content too.

The kids live on youtube now so it's likely this is getting cancelled when they increase it, Just binged Cobra Kai and Discovery is almost over so not much on there I will be worried about for a few months I suspect.

I can see a now tv situation where they keep sending out offers if enough people cancel.....

Rule of life number 12: Never Pay for Streaming.

First they lure you in with low prices and good shows, but then they will fleece you, they will take away or censor your favourite movies, and then they will keep feeding you agenda-driven drivel forever.
We get:
Disney - free
AppleTV - free, never use it
Netflix - free, and even free seems too much considering 99% of Netflix originals are awful
Amazon Prime - okay, we pay $7.99/m for this, but share it with 3 other family members, and get free shipping on 'stuff' probably 2 times a week

That's the max we will pay for streaming.

No way I'm keeping the premium UHD package. I spend more time scrolling through Netflix than I do watching it. Whilst their original content has got a little better in recent times, the overwhelming majority is remarkably average. Netflix tend to excel at 'average'...

They can use whatever scapegoat they want for the price hikes, but it ultimately comes down to greed.

I also subscribe to NowTV and Prime and yet, more often than not, I still resort to putting a disc on, be it a film or a TV series. Maybe I'm just getting old...

I tried Netflix for a month a while back. What a waste of time, as is, in my opinion, Amazon Prime.
I tend to watch YouTube more than anything. Good excuse for a bit of music listening or a good book.
Oh and for those of you who do not know what a book is it consists of lots of paper sheets with words on sandwiched between two thicker bits of paper :rolleyes:

Will downgrade to Standard HD. 40% uplift in cost from £10 to £14 just for the odd UHD programme/film isn't worth it. I'd rather save a few quid and put that towards a genuine 4K disc.

We're reaching saturation point on streaming services. Until now I've been happy to be running 3 services simultaneously, but it's getting to the point where I'm looking at paying for one at a time and rotating/cancelling/moving to the next one every 3 months. Would be saving £100s each year like that.

i was saying this the other day! we need an umbrella sub service that encompasses a number of services...and the worse part of some of the services, your not even getting what you pay for like when Netflix and disney reduced the bandwith in the uk...sure i understand why, but they never reduced the cost!

I subscribe to:
Now TV Entertainment and Boost: £11.99

You can get this cheaper, I currently get Cinema for £4.80 a month until 21st May and Entertainment for £3.99 a month until June. If you go to cancel and when asked why you're cancelling, tell them it's due to money / cost, they will usually offer you a discount to keep you subscribed. I do this every time the offer is in the last month, I haven't paid full price for some time. The offers aren't always the same but they are much cheaper. Sadly doesn't seem to work for Boost.

Ive had netflix for a while now and I don't really watch it that much but the Mrs does. I mentioned the price rise and her reply was "will you miss £14 a month?" I said no, and that was that. Its still fairly good value for money (even if I use it less than I did at the start)

Prices will always go up. but for now im not going to worry about 14quid from my salary each month. If it hits £20 or £25 a month, then Id need to really think about value but Id probably still keep it just for something to have as we dont use Sky, Virgin etc.

Will have to think about this one.....been using Netflix since it first came out in the UK but I rarely watch it these days (mrs. and kids do). We have the HD package. I also have Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+ (which is current free to me). Add in Spotify family and it all starts to add up. Its "only" and extra £2 per month but I get 4k with the other streaming services for less than HD on Netflix.

I chop and change every month. I got Disney for a month so I could catch up on shows and movies over Christmas. Cancelled now. I'll buy back in later in the year.

Next, I'll sub to Netflix for a month and catch up on shows I missed over the last 12 months, then cancel.

Several months might go by before I sub again. The great thing is that I choose, unlike the forced BBC tax!

That's what I do, dip in and out throughout the year. Helps justify the cost more.

I mean does anyone subscribe to Netflix for 12 months of the year anyway? Unless it's part of a package like with Sky?

Gone back to HD same as others and may drop it entirely after a while . 4K is compressed and Atmos is unreliable at best . Came across this today Big Boss Crap and pretty sure sure this hike is only to fund exec bonuses and low end shows . After lockdown I may kill it off and return to being crap on a golf course lol , at least I wouldn't feel screwed !

~M~

I subscribe to:
Now TV Entertainment and Boost: £11.99
Netflix 4K: Soon to be £13.99
YouTube Premium: £14.99
Apple TV+: £4.99
Amazon Prime: £8.99
Disney+: Soon to be £7.99
Starzplay: £4.99

So about £67 per month. I don't have Sky, or Virgin TV, but the top packages from those providers are roughly in that ballpark. While I obviously don't welcome price rises, they are inevitable, so it all comes down to whether I feel I'm getting my money's worth. And I still do.

You can save a few quid by choosing the annual option for Prime and Disney+. I pay £79/yr for Prime which works out at £6.58/mth - and no extra charge for 4K.

I'm currently on:
Now TV (offer of £6.99 Entertainment + £3 Boost) £9.99, after 0ffer £11.99
Netflix £11.99 to increase £2, £13.99
Disney + was free or 6 months with O2 SIM Deal, Paying for it now and soon to go up to £7.99
Amazon £7.99 and I use Prime Delivery a lot.
Sky Fibre £32

That's £41.96 soon and £73.96 with broadband. Plus Spotify. at £9.99
I watch a lot of Youtube on the TV.

Think I'll drop to just Amazon Prime.

It’s now more expensive for the top tier of Netflix than the TV licence.
I know this will divide opinion but I think you get far more from the BBC for £13+ a month than Netflix. They are doing a lot more British based shows but the bulk of their content is still US based. I personally think it’s overpriced now.
I would congratulate them on keeping the lowest tier at the same price though.
It keeps it in the realms of affordable for households who are struggling.

Considering I only watch on one screen, charging me £13.99 for the privilege of watching the odd show in Dolby Vision is a joke.

Will simply cancel it and only subscribe for the occasional month or two in the future.

Netflix offers far better VFM than the TV Licence for me. If it got to a stage where one had to go then it would be live TV. BBC make a handful of shows I want to watch, maybe one a month at most, Netflix provides 90% of my viewing with TV and films most days of the week.

If I could just give up BBC and not pay a TV Licence then I would, but the truly bizarre way TV tax works does not allow us to do this.

I've found that you've just got to create a long enough paper trail to make it not worth following. Generally Apple Pay -> Revolut -> Paypal seems to be long enough for most services, ha!

That being said, we do pay for UK Netflix on/off and we're nearly always given an offer for re signing up. We paid £5.99 for a month of premium over Christmas to give us a few more options (and allowed my parents to finally watch The Crown after all these years) and will be unsubscribing at the end of the month. I think this pricing is beginning to fall more in line with what I expected Netflix to charge. So many people just have it so they're like the long term sky subscribers. Then there's those of us who sign up for a couple of months per year to watch the 4/5 series we want to and then let it go - no objection to paying £14 to watch Stranger Things in 4K when season 4 is released, for example.

I feel like in this day those who are savvy are still much better off than when we had to have cable/sky. With the exception of live sport I can now easily subscribe for 1 month to a service and watch the exact things I want to. I'll be getting a month of D+ to watch Wandavision once it's fully released for example - but we won't be holding onto it for longer than that.

Last edited:
I'm in a fortunate situation where I have Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Prime, Netflix, Apple TV all for free due to various family members sharing accounts. Works out quite nicely. The mother in law pays for Prime regardless for the fast shipping so it's a sunk cost to her, she then pays for Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ package which is shared amongst her and ourselves, Apple TV has a year free trial but we barely use it, Netflix comes from my parents. I would never pay for all of these services myself, but shared across a number of us it's actually really cheap.
We also have a Pandora family plan that she shares with us which is great.

If it was just my wife and I paying for it we'd probably just have Netflix and Disney+ as she watches it a lot. Throw in regular free OTA with an antenna and I don't know how we could even watch all the content on offer, all while paying $/£ a month.

I mean does anyone subscribe to Netflix for 12 months of the year anyway? Unless it's part of a package like with Sky?

:hiya:

I keep it going partly out of habit, but mainly because there’s more stuff on there that I want to watch than I have time to watch.

Also have Prime, but that’s for deliveries, there is stuff on there that I want to watch but I always tend to gravitate towards Netflix.

This latest price rise may just be the push i need to drop Netflix and just dip in a couple of times a year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom