NEWS: Netflix February price rise for UK customers

As other platforms are available, money is tight and that I couldn't give a dead rat's arse about The Crown, I'll be saying bye-bye to Netflix.

Will downgrade to Standard HD. 40% uplift in cost from £10 to £14 just for the odd UHD programme/film isn't worth it. I'd rather save a few quid and put that towards a genuine 4K disc.

We're reaching saturation point on streaming services. Until now I've been happy to be running 3 services simultaneously, but it's getting to the point where I'm looking at paying for one at a time and rotating/cancelling/moving to the next one every 3 months. Would be saving £100s each year like that.

Netflix and other streaming services at some point will be as expensive as sky even Disney plus price is increasing.

I subscribe to:
Now TV Entertainment and Boost: £11.99
Netflix 4K: Soon to be £13.99
YouTube Premium: £14.99
Apple TV+: £4.99
Amazon Prime: £8.99
Disney+: Soon to be £7.99
Starzplay: £4.99

So about £67 per month. I don't have Sky, or Virgin TV, but the top packages from those providers are roughly in that ballpark. While I obviously don't welcome price rises, they are inevitable, so it all comes down to whether I feel I'm getting my money's worth. And I still do.

Can't see myself unsubscribing to any of these. They regularly throw me great content and give me lots of choice, and we all have to stave off the boredom during lockdown somehow.

Rule of life number 12: Never Pay for Streaming.

First they lure you in with low prices and good shows, but then they will fleece you, they will take away or censor your favourite movies, and then they will keep feeding you agenda-driven drivel forever.

I am happy to share my sub with others. I currently have Netflix and D+. Win-win for both parties and eases up the pressure on the already dented wallet.

Rule of life number 13: Never listen to nonsense.

I pay £4 to £4.50 for my Netflix UHD sub and I share that and my Prime subscription with a friend with NowTV and Disney+

I had a year of AppleTV free and there were a couple of good things on it, but there's nowhere near enough to make me want to subscribe to it.

Price rises are inevitable with inflation, but inflation is sitting at 1.5% or if you look at the consumer prices index it's way less. Where do Netflix find the gall to ask for 17% increase. My wage increase was barely non-existent this year, it's a good job not all companies are asking 17% more for products/services otherwise my living wage would be set back by around 5 years. They may be asking for more money for more shows, but they're not necessarily what I'll be watching. :mad:

Price rises are inevitable with inflation, but inflation is sitting at 1.5% or if you look at the consumer prices index it's way less. Where do Netflix find the gall to ask for 17% increase. My wage increase was barely non-existent this year, it's a good job not all companies are asking 17% more for products/services otherwise my living wage would be set back by around 5 years. They may be asking for more money for more shows, but they're not necessarily what I'll be watching. :mad:

Because they dont make money at current subscription prices.
Much like Uber, the cheap loss leading pricing was never sustainable.

Top Tier Netflix will be 20 pounds per month in 18m or so, and close to 25 pm 3 years out.

I strongly suspect that they will introduce more granularity to the prices / offering over the coming yers as prices escalate. That way, by offering more customer specific pricing options, they will attempt to mitigate potential customer losses as the business matures.

The choices (i.e 3 options now) will be different in. 2-3 years - whether that means 5 options, or something different I dont know, but they'll definitely more in the direction of more options.

Not to mention they chopped bitrates massively during the first lockdown, with no reduction in price.

I googled the idea netflix doesn't make money - first page result was - Operating profit rose an enormous 61% in 2019 and the company reached 100m subscribers outside of the US. Pre-tax profits jumped from $1.2bn in 2018 to $2bn in 2019. ... In 2018 the company reported revenues of £43.3m and profits of just £2m at its main UK company, Netflix Services UK, and paid no tax.
That's a non-starter excuse for them.

I've got amazon prime netflix top tier and Disney + I pay for amazon prime yearly or if there's a discount on prime day and share the account with one of my daughters she gives me one of her Disney + subscriptions and shares another with my other daughter and she has netflix which is shared with the 3 of us it works ok and keeps the cost down

One person subscribe to them all and then divide the price by however many you let use your log in details.

I have Sky Q (which has barely anything on it to watch) and took out a Box Sets bundled with Netflix deal a while back for £6pm.

I was thinking of leaving Sky in May when my contract ends, but as Netflix creeps ever higher, it makes me wonder whether to bother. It is nice having SkyQ for the kids to watch and record all their stuff.

Lucky for me I don’t pay for Netflix. I share my nephew’s Canadian account. Pity I can’t access Canadian Netflix though, unless I go the VPN route.

Wow - this streaming malarkey is getting expensive - with Virgin Media upping their prices by £4 as well might to have to start optimising some services - George

Last thing I watched on Netflix was Hubie Halloween over two months ago.

It is getting to the point where it just isn't worth it for me to keep my subscription going. I sacked off Disney+ when I watched everything I wanted to on there (Mandalorian and the Jeff Goldblum thing).

While Apple TV is pretty good, the stuff I've watched on it is excellent, there is hardly anything on there. Also, I can't get it to play on any of my Android devices. Once my freebie subscription is up that'll be going as well.

I chop and change every month. I got Disney for a month so I could catch up on shows and movies over Christmas. Cancelled now. I'll buy back in later in the year.

Next, I'll sub to Netflix for a month and catch up on shows I missed over the last 12 months, then cancel.

Several months might go by before I sub again. The great thing is that I choose, unlike the forced BBC tax!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom