NEWS: Netflix February price rise for UK customers

Rog69

Distinguished Member
Just dropped my package down to the standard HD. I was thinking of doing this anyway because the amount of good 4k content on there, stuff that I actually want to watch that looks significantly better than upscaled 1080 on my TV, is miniscule. I am going to keep an eye on the changes on D+ when the Hulu content comes across because that is starting to look like a significantly better option, both for content and value.

richp007

Distinguished Member
They even cancelled Mindhunter, which was one of their most well considered and appreciated original dramas!

What, one may ask, is the point?!?!!!

To be fair Fincher put a stop to Mindhunter, but it was still preposterous that he did that himself.

I'm hoping we may just get one more series at some point to wrap up that storyline.

Peew971

To be fair Fincher put a stop to Mindhunter, but it was still preposterous that he did that himself.

I'm hoping we may just get one more series at some point to wrap up that storyline.
He signed a 4 films deal with Netflix so here's hoping he goes back to it eventually but I'd take Mindhunter over new movies any day.

interbear

I know I can watch Netflix via my Sky box, even though I’m subscribed directly to Netflix rather than via Sky. Does anyone know if it works the other way? If I subscribe via Sky, I’ll still get 4K/Atmos and I’ll be able to watch via other devices?

Only asking because I’ve just now had an email from Sky offering me Netflix for £5 a month, which is obviously a big saving, especially if I still get 4K/Atmos.

I subscribe to Netflix via Sky Q and can still access it on my iPad and other TVs around the house (TV Netflix app not Sky Q). So you can certainly watch on other devices when subscribed via Sky and my assumption would also be that it's the 4K version as that's what you are paying for via Sky.

barkzz

I subscribe to Netflix via Sky Q and can still access it on my iPad and other TVs around the house (TV Netflix app not Sky Q). So you can certainly watch on other devices when subscribed via Sky and my assumption would also be that it's the 4K version as that's what you are paying for via Sky.

I looked into this not long ago, ref subscription type, you have to be taking SKY HD + UHD to get the equivalent Netflix 4 Screens / 4K tier. It's on the small print when speccing a package together.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I’ve got the full Sky Q package, so it seems like a no-brainer to pay Sky a fiver as opposed to £12 or whatever it is direct to Netflix.

Do Sky set up a new Netflix account or does your existing one just carry on? I have already got Netflix directly linked to my Sky box.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Just signed up via Sky, got a link to either set up a new account using my Sky account email address or activate it to an existing account.

So now instead of paying £12 plus any potential increase, I’m now lying £5 for the top tier package. Result :D

Tingo

Just signed up via Sky, got a link to either set up a new account using my Sky account email address or activate it to an existing account.

So now instead of paying £12 plus any potential increase, I’m now lying £5 for the top tier package. Result :D
I also pay through sky for the HD tier £2.50, it seems strange to me they are increasing prices for those without sky q while allowing such discounts, wonder if there is a connection. I also wonder if there is an increase in the pipeline for us come the annual sky increase.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Even if Sky do put an increase on, it's still got to be cheaper than the £12 I was paying.

ash1942

Standard Member
I used a free VPN extension app in Chrome, it lets you set the location for the IP address. Having a little browse on the Chrome store, Zenmate rings a bell.

A friend uses the same method and pays about £1.20 more than me due to transaction fees but that will vary between banks and providers.
If anyone is using a free VPN I would advise caution for anything sensative. Very really is there such a good deal as a free service. There have been wide spread reports of free VPN providers covering the cost of their service by selling users data.

oldfart

A lot of people pay £800+ for a football season ticket in the premiership to watch their team play Sunday Hoof Football and constantly struggle near the bottom of the table, and they gladly pay more each year if asked. So perhaps £168 a year for Netflix with at least some entertainment value is worth it?.

simonldt

What annoys me is they are increasing the prices yet all 1080 content I've watched since March last year has been terrible quality. I am still seeing shows with 1-2mbps rates. The 4K stuff is decent quality but the standard HD has never recovered from the throttling last year.

Roggster

To me, the biggest crime these streaming providers commit it series cancellation.
Folk paying money like these series but they get cancelled if the streamer doesn’t make a ton of money. I know it’s a business but, to me, breaking even is good if you want to have a decent library to attract more subscribers.

there are cancelled shows being pushed to me via the homepage. That is an insult - to get someone hooked on a decent show that just stops.

This also ends up breaking the “is this show popular enough to get another series” model. I know lots of people (me included) that will not watch a series until at least season 3 (preferably 4) have been commissioned.

And yeah, then they ask for more money.

The honeymoon period is over now and the streaming providers are no better than sh*tty cable/satellite tv.

sleepy1

Standard Member
I ditched Netflix after I'd watched the latest season of Stranger Things. My main gripe was that it has an appalling UI and it was almost impossible to find things to watch (I used to search online for "The best xx films on Netflix UK ...." to find decent content). If I could search, sort, tag, organise my own catagories/groups of films/content I might have stayed.

Amazon is just as bad, but I'm there for other things, so I've held on to that, and I've just resubbed to Mubi for £1 for 3 months, and the LG app player is next to useless. So useless in fact that I'll probably end up watching it via hdmi from the pc.

What is it with legal streaming services that seem to want to purposely make things difficult for you?

Fake Shempz

I do hope that Netflix don't ever check my account and see how much I'm paying them for the premium package!

Rog69

Distinguished Member
To me, the biggest crime these streaming providers commit it series cancellation.
Folk paying money like these series but they get cancelled if the streamer doesn’t make a ton of money. I know it’s a business but, to me, breaking even is good if you want to have a decent library to attract more subscribers.

This annoys me too. Unfortunately Netflix know that making an expensive season three of a show doesnt bring in as many new subscribers as spending the same money on making something new, they gain more new subscribers than they lose from cancelling shows. The worst part is that they keep the rights and won't let anyone else have them, like they did with The OA, it wouldn't be half so bad if the rights were up for grabs for someone else to pick up.

Doomlord_uk

They'll keep increasing prices to whatever our pain threshold is. When they start losing money from people not renewing, that's when and where they'll stop. It's not a public service, it's a for-profit enterprise serving corporate needs. We aren't customers, we're fodder. Wall Street investors are the customers.

I can easily see Netflix charing up to £20 - £30 a month or more in the future, as well as moving to the Amazon Prime model which includes PPV movies and shows etc on top of that.

That said, we'll keep paying for now because we do get considerable value from them.

Tingo

Yeah, and then pay through the nose for Sky Q.
For me sky has got cheaper and cheaper, 3yrs ago sky hd+ and bt broadband £127 a month, then £73.50 moving to sky broadband , got sky q and Netflix for the first time in November so an increase in services and now £58. That's quite a decrease.

barkzz

What annoys me is they are increasing the prices yet all 1080 content I've watched since March last year has been terrible quality. I am still seeing shows with 1-2mbps rates. The 4K stuff is decent quality but the standard HD has never recovered from the throttling last year.

That's exactly what I've said, but yet seemingly certain groups of people are happy to pay more, for poorer quality. 1080p on my Q90R looks like utter garbage compared to prime. Artefacts and compression everywhere. If anything, top tier subscribers should have had a reduction in their bill due to halving the bandwidth, and it never recovering.

Im fine with paying increases to maintain good quality and bandwidth, but we haven't even got that at the moment.

barkzz

For me sky has got cheaper and cheaper, 3yrs ago sky hd+ and bt broadband £127 a month, then £73.50 moving to sky broadband , got sky q and Netflix for the first time in November so an increase in services and now £58. That's quite a decrease.

Just remember in 18 months time you'll need to run the retention gauntlet to get your prices to something reasonable at renewal. BT have been terrible at screwing existing customer base.

Case in point, I've got FTTP broadband as that's the only provision to the house. They had a monopoly on the circuits for the first 24 months where no other provider could step in. Out of contract, my price jumped up from £33, to £60 (Broadband only), yet they were offering new customer sign ups at £36 for the same package. Best they could do for me was £54. Funny how they changed their tune when I discovered Zen had been authorised to provide over the same FTTP circuit for £32 monthly on only a 12 month contract. Order placed with Zen and transfer initiated. BT grovelling on the phone the following day and price matched...

Tingo

Just remember in 18 months time you'll need to run the retention gauntlet to get your prices to something reasonable at renewal. BT have been terrible at screwing existing customer base.

Case in point, I've got FTTP broadband as that's the only provision to the house. They had a monopoly on the circuits for the first 24 months where no other provider could step in. Out of contract, my price jumped up from £33, to £60 (Broadband only), yet they were offering new customer sign ups at £36 for the same package. Best they could do for me was £54. Funny how they changed their tune when I discovered Zen had been authorised to provide over the same FTTP circuit for £32 monthly on only a 12 month contract. Order placed with Zen and transfer initiated. BT grovelling on the phone the following day and price matched...
I am aware of the haggling some people go through but in over 20 yrs I have never run the retention gauntlet. I ask for a better deal and get one. This time I only asked for the broadband black Friday deal which was a £2 discount and the advisor said he believed retentions could sort out a better overall price for the whole package and put me through, I was offered £58 with Netflix. However you are probably right for next time as imo it will hard to beat.

badsimian

Yes.

If you currently have an active subscription, cancel it and let it lapse. Sign into Netflix Turkey using a VPN with a Turkish IP address, use the same login details, cards etc and it starts back up as if you never left. Just instead you get charged in Turkish Lira instead of GBP.
Your card provider may charge you foreign transaction fees so make sure, if you have one, to use a card that doesn't charge for that.

I tried this last week and I think it has stopped working, few others on HotUKDals reporting the same. I ended up buying gift cards instead.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
That's unfortunate. Hopefully, for me, they don't reverse it.

I ended up buying gift cards instead.

Are these Turkish or other foreign country gift cards to enable cheaper membership?

If so, if it needs it, perhaps explain how to get it working for others.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021