NEWS: Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window

I have Netflix for couple years now and Prime bit les.
More then one year i notice decline in quality of content on Netflix and today is 70% of content trash at least for my taste.
Prime is even faaar worst,hard to find content,no english subs...

If this is future of movies then we are fckd.....

I hope this doesn't happen, it will be disastrous for Cinemas as most people would wait for films to come to Netflix or Prime, etc.

And as Megatama said above, Netflix content this days is trash. I watch more on Prime, but there UI is rubbish, as it focuses on selling you films, etc to buy. I want an option to view only what I available as part of my Prime subscription

I want an option to view only what I available as part of my Prime subscription

The iPad app has this.

Prime Video.png

Let me think how to put this....

Right, they can "fudge right off".

I hope this doesn't happen, it will be disastrous for Cinemas as most people would wait for films to come to Netflix or Prime, etc.

And as Megatama said above, Netflix content this days is trash. I watch more on Prime, but there UI is rubbish, as it focuses on selling you films, etc to buy. I want an option to view only what I available as part of my Prime subscription
If you go to free to me in menu that contains only free content.

Given that we don't have HBO Max or Paramount+, on this side of the pond this is going to mean a lot of theatrical films going to PVOD after a couple of months so I doubt it will kill off cinema as the cost of a PVOD more than a cinema ticket.

If anything, more options for content (I hate that word in this context...) delivery will be good for the studios and the consumer.

In defence of Netflix, in the last eighteen months we've had The Irishman, Marriage Story, Dolemite is my Name, Uncut Gems, Dick Johnson is Dead, Da 5 Bloods, Mank, Extraction, Rocks... They have done some pretty good work.

I'm not fussed at all, happy to pay £20 and watch at home on TV, what it costs me extra to watch I save with my £1 Bag of popcorn.

For 3 of us to see Frozen 2 it was £21 for tickets and then nearly the same again for popcorn, sweets and drinks.

All the cinemas around me in Birmingham are noisy and packed with Chavs anyway so much rather watch at home on big TV.

The picture quality in some cinemas is total garbage anyway, all grey instead of black.

I would happily pay £20 for just released movies to watch them in the comfort of my own home.
I live 60 miles from my closest cinema :rotfl::rotfl:

Not to fussed , the pandemic has shown us personally that we do not miss the cinema at all and streaming quality with DV is just about on par with a HDR10 BD . I have Atmos and DTSX for the soundstage and have to admit that apart from Tenet (very poor film ) the only other recent ish release was The Gentleman at the cinema for us . The PQ was so piss poor on The Gentleman that it kinda put us off for good, went back for Tenet but it only cemented it.

People can't seriously be advocating killing off an industry just to be able to watch things at home a bit sooner.

Plus peeps need to remember this is an AV forum; many film fans but non AV enthusiasts don't have the luxury either of a cinema style set up in their home, but still love the cinema experience. So going out to one is their only choice. It's easy to say sod the cinema when you've got a mini-one in your own house.

The pandemic once over shouldn't change a damn thing, and I didn't really see anyone complaining before last March. The way it was has everyone winning.

Just greed from these companies who rake in enough already. The process as is is special and shouldn't be interfered with. No need to change an experience that's spanned generations.

I've said before, I don't go to the cinema anymore as I need subtitles for everything. Without them, I can't follow the film and it makes for a dreadful experience.

However, if you start doing this you kill cinema. If you kill cinema then you can wave goodbye to future $200+ Million blockbusters.

People can't seriously be advocating killing off an industry just to be able to watch things at home a bit sooner.

Plus peeps need to remember this is an AV forum; many film fans but non AV enthusiasts don't have the luxury either of a cinema style set up in their home, but still love the cinema experience. So going out to one is their only choice. It's easy to say sod the cinema when you've got a mini-one in your own house.

The pandemic once over shouldn't change a damn thing, and I didn't really see anyone complaining before last March. The way it was has everyone winning.

Just greed from these companies who rake in enough already. The process as is is special and shouldn't be interfered with. No need to change an experience that's spanned generations.

Don’t disagree, but how many people these days, especially younger ones watch most of their content on a laptop or tablet or even a phone, let alone a big tv.

I can’t even remember the last time I went to the cinema, even pre-pandemic, mainly because there’s so little stuff that comes out that makes me want to get off my lazy arse and make the effort to go, maybe one or two films a year max.

However, if you start doing this you kill cinema. If you kill cinema then you can wave goodbye to future $200+ Million blockbusters.

Exactly that, and who really wants that??! It'd be terrible to just be subjected most of the time to predominantly the likes of Netflix guff. Which is exactly what we'd end up with.

Don’t disagree, but how many people these days, especially younger ones watch most of their content on a laptop or tablet or even a phone, let alone a big tv.

I can’t even remember the last time I went to the cinema, even pre-pandemic, mainly because there’s so little stuff that comes out that makes me want to get off my lazy arse and make the effort to go, maybe one or two films a year max.

Plenty of oldies like me who can't wait to get back :D Appreciate in time things will change, that's inevitable, but there's no need to do so now. The market is still largely as it was; no need for the industry to shift it's model this significantly just because of the pandemic.

It's all about choice. Keeping things as they are means everyone gets what they want. No-one is forcing anyone to the cinema, but it should be there for those who want the experience.

It's all about choice. Keeping things as they are means everyone gets what they want. No-one is forcing anyone to the cinema, but it should be there for those who want the experience.
Yeah the choice would be nice, day 1 at home or cinema, our choice :)

I’m happy to pay a premium to watch a new release at home.
While I may have gone to the cinema to see a film I know I would like, I don’t enjoy the cinema experience at all.

Raya and the last Dragon will probably be our first premium movie at home so feel if this does well, Disney will buckle and put Black Widow on premier access too

I live a 5 minute walk from an odeon luxe , I cancelled my limitless membership soon after it reopened as the studios weren't releasing anything .
I really miss the cinema , hopefully this news won't kill it off though if all the , phone on phone off chavs stop at home that'd be great

I've said before, I don't go to the cinema anymore as I need subtitles for everything. Without them, I can't follow the film and it makes for a dreadful experience.

Hasn't Netflix just announced the Gray Man - a $200million production - for 'straight-to-Netflix' transmission? I take your point though, namely that the cinemas are a major source of income for movies and thus drive the big budgets.

I suppose the question I would pose for all is what does the cinema experience offer over and above the home? If it is the big screen, great sound and overall experience then why does it need to be exclusive to the cinema? Why not run concurrently on Cinema and Netflix et al?

Cards on the table that I am not a fan of cinemas - but I have an okay home setup and enjoy the comfort and flexibility I have at home.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom