NEWS: Nakamichi unveils its 11.6.4 Dragon sound system & comments

Sigh. So it's got two subwoofers, not four. Not worth deconstructing the rest of those '21' channels...

Why not call Nak out on its misleading claims? We deserve better than this BS.

But are they sold in the UK. Didn’t think they were.

Had the demo today and this is a very impressive product for the US market. You can import it via an Ebay shop as there are no current plans to distribute it in the UK. Video interview coming over the weekend.

I'm sure this will have a market, but I suspect from the US the import duty would need to be taken into account. Looks good though imo.

I'm sure this will have a market, but I suspect from the US the import duty would need to be taken into account. Looks good though imo.

Yeah, then if it breaks or has issues, would be a nightmare trying to replace it. Would be better off building an actual proper system out with the final cost and hassle.

Sigh. So it's got two subwoofers, not four. Not worth deconstructing the rest of those '21' channels...

Why not call Nak out on its misleading claims? We deserve better than this BS.
Jesus, this happens every friggin year

CES is not the place to call manufacturers out. All they’ll do is refuse any contact in the future and you have no website. It’s a balancing act.

Also, you don’t need to go on every soundbar topic and crap on them. They exist for a reason, like SUV’s. People buy them.

Yeah, I don't think AV Forums is going to disappear because it starts calling out obvious lies in marketing. Two sub drivers in an isobaric mounting? They're one subwoofer. That's basic. There is no way you can pretend they work as two separate subwoofers. So that is something that should be pointed out, instead of allowing the public to be actively misled...

I'm not opposed to soundbars, I just bought one myself in fact, for use with my PC. But that soundbar wasn't mis-sold or mis-advertised, it does what it says it will do. They are great devices and it's certainly ideal for me in my use-case.

I have a lot of respect for Nakamichi too. Seeing the Dragon brand launched again should be exciting, no? But we get this... I'm disappointed. Amazing build quality, two big subs, some fascinating surrounds, plenty to be excited about. I just wish they hadn't gone down the 'more numbers is betterer' route. And that's a valid point.

But it’s CES??! It’s the worlds biggest PR show!!

The reality check can come with ACTUAL REVIEWS. If you try to discredit everything you see there, it’s going to be the most depressing/tiring time of your life.

Ok so the sub thing is a bit OTT since as I know you know, other two driver subs are not classed as .2, but unless Nakamichi bring out a non-generic POS tape mechanism again? There’s plenty of choice out there for anything they make. It’s a name that once carried huge credibility, but so did MG cars and look at them now.

……OK Nakamichi are not that bad.

Last edited:
It’s a name that once carried huge credibility, but so did MG cars and look at them now.

……OK Nakamichi are not that bad.
Not sure if you've been following MG cars lately. The reviewers in the UK seem pleasantly surprised by their electric cars. MG is a profitable brand being sold in 84 countries.

Not sure if you've been following MG cars lately. The reviewers in the UK seem pleasantly surprised by their electric cars. MG is a profitable brand being sold in 84 countries.
Yeah I thought that might come up. The electric MG do seem to be quite good. The rest is meh.

But where’s the new small sports car?

Where’s the new high end tape deck?

Looks to be a impressive setup, better than the Samsung Q990B/C?
Heard the existing Q990B for first time at Xmas. Absolutely stunning. Totally agree with its 10/10 grade on here. Best sounding soundbar system I have ever heard ... by a distance. Certainly will never bother with a wired system again.

Heard the existing Q990B for first time at Xmas. Absolutely stunning. Totally agree with its 10/10 grade on here. Best sounding soundbar system I have ever heard ... by a distance. Certainly will never bother with a wired system again.
My thoughts too, however Samsung could still improve and take their high-end range further in my opinion.
Imagine a duel subwoofer / pre-out option. And 4 wireless speakers instead of 2.
Priced at £2k.

My thoughts too, however Samsung could still improve and take their high-end range further in my opinion.
Imagine a duel subwoofer / pre-out option. And 4 wireless speakers instead of 2.
Priced at £2k.

The area where Samsung can improve is bass by getting it all the way down from 28 Hz to 20 Hz or even below which could be unnecessary for the many.

Easiest solution is a sub pre-out with the ability to control the gain and crossover frequency (ex. fixed at 80Hz).

but so did MG cars and look at them now
Yeah, making the best proposition EV in the UK, right now.

Our sister forum, by the way, is at www.mgevs.com

Priced at £2k.

The area where Samsung can improve is bass by getting it all the way down from 28 Hz to 20 Hz or even below which could be unnecessary for the many.

Easiest solution is a sub pre-out with the ability to control the gain and crossover frequency (ex. fixed at 80Hz).

I'd like to see them make the bar taller to allow for larger drivers. I'd like a bit more warmth and fuller vocals.
A larger sub or sub out and full eq for the surround and adaptive modes would also be great.

I'm pretty excited about this to be fair. I've had Samsungs Q80R, Q90R and now the Q950A.
This could be the first time in years I look beyond Samsung where soundbars are concerned.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 MOVIE?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom