NEWS: Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package

It’s a hundred year old technology.

No one more touchy than vinyl people it seems.

Cheap. Think you'll find that most vinyl fans also embrace the digital and are happy that both mediums bring something to the table. There is room for both but your inference that the TT technology is dead and therefore a waste of time is just plain waffle. I personally wouldnt use Lyngdorf as a doorstop but each to their own i suppose.

Cheap. Think you'll find that most vinyl fans also embrace the digital and are happy that both mediums bring something to the table. There is room for both but your inference that the TT technology is dead and therefore a waste of time is just plain waffle. I personally wouldnt use Lyngdorf as a doorstop but each to their own i suppose.

Think you just proved the point :facepalm:

and your point? thats a 50 yo deck.
it wasn't when I bought it 45 years ago, it was retired 32 years ago when better technologies emerged. Not seen much advancement in TT tech since except for the prices.

I always find it strange that so many the feel that vinyl is poor quality, old, irrelevant, not worth the hassle, etc, always jump on these reviews to have a pop at a turntable review or bemoan the technology itself.

For me, Turntables will always be part of my hifi setup, why? Because I love the atmosphere, warm sound, and yes, I love the the tinkering, upgrading and strangely the bloody the annoying noises that only a record deck can produce. It is not the same as steaming, cd’s, sacd’s and I wouldn’t want it to be.

So, if I had £15k to spend on a turntable of course I would, because that’s my dream. I wonder how many that suggest that £15k could be better spent elsewhere have ever actually heard one? I know I haven’t, but one day when I draw down the pension, which isn’t that far away……I have a date with destiny at the feet of a Roksan Xerxes.

Thanks for the review.

This thread is about a particular TT. It's not for the argument of the pros and cons of vinyl playing. So can we stick to the actual subject please.

Would love to hear it. Nothing can approach the sound quality of a well pressed analogue record played on a decent deck.

Close tolerance mechanical engineering costs! See they are only making 500 units. Would they need to re-tool to produce more? Rega arms used to be so similar, wondered if the dearer ones were just the start of the production run? More wear in the tools the greater the machining tolerance.

I work in the Aerospace industry where 500.units could be considered large quantities. Tolerancing? 1 shaft/bearing interface - close tolerances are easily achieved with modern CNC machines. OK bit of tooling reqd but no more I would consider normal. Very little development work needed probably uses an existing motor etc.

I've just written a qualification test procedure for a new aircraft valve which will include vibration, shock, sand and dust operation, acceleration (g rig) testing, hot and cold (-55 to +90 ambient), icing and significant endurance testing as well as other tests. A significant amount of process review and documentation as required by the authorities including a spec, stress, qual test, similarity, FMEA and materials reports. The new valve will be tested following assembly, to a level far in excess of this turntable. The cost of this new valve for manufacture? Just over £4k.

This turntable price is not down to cost of manufacture but by what Naim believe the market can stand.

Unfortunately certain parts of the hifi industry are becoming more "boutiquey" with recent large price increases but that's probably the subject of another thread.

BTW, I'm an ex Naim owner and have owned a Linn Sondek and Mitchell. Gyrodec so this isn't an anti turntable rant.

What it costs to make and the retail price are miles apart. Don't know what the mark up is in the HiFi world. With jewellery I've been told it's 200%+. In the high end HiFi world the depreciation is eye watering. Saw a Nagra Amp on EBAY for just under £9k new price £25k. The seller had receipts from Nagra for just over £5k for an upgrade. What will a second hand Naim turntable be worth after a couple of years?

Of course you're correct, cost of manufacture is not retail price, approx £3k in vat for a start in this case. I have also heard about the margins you suggest. But this also confirms my point... Cost of manufacture is only one part of retail price... and a surprisingly small part at this level.

Of course you're correct, cost of manufacture is not retail price, approx £3k in vat for a start in this case. I have also heard about the margins you suggest. But this also confirms my point... Cost of manufacture is only one part of retail price... and a surprisingly small part at this level.
HiFi retailers need to carry lots of expensive slow moving kit. Mark ups need to be high.

Most high priced items are demo stock only - the dealer then orders direct once a sale is made.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom