NEWS: Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package

Nice, I want two!!

I stuggle to see how a turntable warrants this price in terms of development, manufacturing and materials. Unless it’s purely down to the low production numbers?

I stuggle to see how a turntable warrants this price in terms of development, manufacturing and materials. Unless it’s purely down to the low production numbers?

Nope. Its down to that little green badge that sheeple pay a fortune for. As most Naim owners partner their equipment with an LP12, this is probably priced accordingly to compete with them.

Hmm, I’d love to hear this pitched against a Roksan Xerxes…..which is still my grail turntable.

£16,000 for a deck - bet the snap, crackles and pops sound sublime

Not quite sure why you'd spend £16k to play dirty records?!

Is there such a thing as a completely dust and noise free record once you expose to the atmosphere? Playing poppadums comes to mind.

Ok, we get it, you dont like vinyl but your unfounded stereotypical view (geddit?) is nonsense.

Not a stereotypical view - just got tired of scratchy vinyl that got worse every time you played it - unavoidable because there is friction involved - and trying to keep dust off the surface is losing battle. I have a large collection of original vinyl going back to the 60s, never gets played anymore now I have clean digital versions, and cannot see the sense in shelling out 16 grand because it cannot make the original source material any better, but I fully accept some are quite happy with snap, crackle and pop at any price.

Friction doesnt cause scratches. Poor equipment, poor setup and most definitely poor handling does. There will always be the occasional pop due to dust but if treated and looked after correctly, vinyl will always produce the goods. I have mono recordings from the 50/60's and they still sound fantastic.

I think obviously different cleaning and anti-static routines help to differing degrees, but also different kit and cartidges or styluses / styli can be more / less forgiving.
If you have an unforgiving combination and maybe don't handle vinyl with care in terms of dust, scratches, anti-static and playing routines then you may get different results.
Vinyl does require different care, that's part of it's charm for some, but it's not true to say all is snap, crackle and pop.. Your mileage (and personal preferences) may vary..

Friction doesnt cause scratches. Poor equipment, poor setup and most definitely poor handling does. There will always be the occasional pop due to dust but if treated and looked after correctly, vinyl will always produce the goods. I have mono recordings from the 50/60's and they still sound fantastic.

Friction must, and does, produce wear.

That wear will not be an absolutely linear phenomenon in the grooves.

Therefore scratches.

There are ways to minimise wear, (mostly by following good practice as you mention), but everytime a record is played it is less accurate afterwards.

A tiny amount if played properly, but a definite, and cumulative, amount.

I think we're in danger in veering off topic but also making wide disparaging generalisations if we're not vinyl fans.
Crackles are more often associated with across groove scratches (and other stuff) but not generally groove wear.
Groove wear can happen but it doesn't generally produce crackles and to create groove wear you have to play many times (like 1000's) unless you have your kit setup wrong, worn stylus, wrong tracking / downforce etc or like dropping the needle after a bottle of wine..
If you don't like vinyl then fair enough I get it, but for **** sake go troll another thread...

Friction must, and does, produce wear.

That wear will not be an absolutely linear phenomenon in the grooves.

Therefore scratches.

There are ways to minimise wear, (mostly by following good practice as you mention), but everytime a record is played it is less accurate afterwards.

A tiny amount if played properly, but a definite, and cumulative, amount.

i disagree. Wear isnt scratches and although being a mechanical process with its unavoidable and inherent wear, that degradation is usually minimal in comparison to all the other events a vinyl has to suffer in its lifetime. Admittedly I've heard some records where the sound has degraded due to being played so much and its quite obvious how that sound is presented. Its still not scratched though and two things are very different types of damage to the vinyl.

I think we're in danger in veering off topic but also making wide disparaging generalisations if we're not vinyl fans.
Crackles are more often associated with across groove scratches (and other stuff) but not generally groove wear.
Groove wear can happen but it doesn't generally produce crackles and to create groove wear you have to play many times (like 1000's) unless you have your kit setup wrong, worn stylus, wrong tracking / downforce etc or like dropping the needle after a bottle of wine..
If you don't like vinyl then fair enough I get it, but for **** sake go troll another thread...

Adding accurate, physics sound, comments is not trolling.

Being upset by them is a bit embarrassing though.

And as mentioned above, this argument has been done to death. If you prefer your 1's and 0's, fine but just because your old Kays Binatone TT couldnt match your latest streaming combo it doesnt make your arguments any more valid.

No one more touchy than vinyl people it seems.

Yeah my Kays Binatone was aka a Thorens TD160 ;)

Adding accurate, physics sound, comments is not trolling.

Being upset by them is a bit embarrassing though.
I'm not upset, I have no intention of buying one. I equally use digital and analogue sources and appreciate them for what the are. The derogatory vinyl phobia comments are however factually incorrect.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom