NEWS: NAD T 778 flagship AVR & Owner's Thread

Thanks, how do you find your headphones quality?
Excellent, although they are the only pair of gaming headphones I’ve had so I have no frame of reference. My friends tell me my voice is clear so the mic is good on them too.

FWIW I've turned CEC Power off on mine, and random switch offs etc are gone. It's a bit less convenient than being able to turn everything one with one button but at least it works reliably now.

FWIW I've turned CEC Power off on mine, and random switch offs etc are gone. It's a bit less convenient than being able to turn everything one with one button but at least it works reliably now.

Try and get a Logitech harmony? Amazing thing!

Glad to hear it's sorted (well kind of!!)

It’s on my list! Tbh can kind of live without for now but it would be nice to have.
Keep an eye on gumtree. I honestly thought it would be a gimmicky thing, but couldn't live without mine now!

Just thought I'd post something regarding the speaker settings for the height channel outputs. The manual has no information on what's suitable or available so it's not clear to buyers (Or users). NAD does a poor job in explaining speaker settings to new users in its user guide, including Dirac's non-use of speaker distance and crossover.

So, for the height channels (1 and 2), within the speaker configuration these can be set to:
  • Top Front - Wall mount above mains or in-ceiling front overhead
  • Top Middle
  • Top Rear
  • Dolby Enabled Front - up-firing speakers located on top of your main front speakers
  • Dolby Enabled Surround - up-firing speakers located on the side of your listening area on top of your surround speakers
  • Dolby Enabled Rear - up-firing speakers located at the back of your listening room, on top of your Surround Back speakers
So looking at the Atmos layout guides and assuming placement accordingly, in a x.y.2 one of the height channels would be set to either "Top Middle" (In ceiling) or "Dolby Enabled Front"

The x.y.4 layouts would be
LayoutHeight 1Height 2
Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker setupDolby Enabled FrontDolby Enabled Rear
Hybrid Dolby Atmos-enabled /overhead speaker setupDolby Enabled FrontTop Rear
Hybrid overhead / Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker setupTop FrontDolby Enabled Rear
Overhead speaker setupTop FrontTop Rear

The "Dolby Enabled Surround" is not noted in the standard layout, effectively side mounting the atmos up-firing for pseudo Top Middle. It may be applicable in a 5.x.4 with the atmos enabled rears, rather than 7.x.4 where Dolby Enabled Rear is applicable?

Also, when you look at the options, it has all the placements for a x.y.6 layout, sans one of the physical analogue outputs. What I wondered was whether its possible to set up a .6 layout but without the rears, ie say a Top Front and Top Middle.
[edit] Quick experiment with precariously balanced PSB's on top of the side surrounds and Dolby Enabled Surround set for Height 2
View attachment 1331328
Overhead is far superior with this config but the processing sounds wrong - overhead is too front and playing a 7.1.4 channel test I'd expect the top rear test channels to be more towards the back surrounds but its not - loud and clear from the PSB's. Experiment fail...

I have front mounted SVS which are above the mains. They come in at 31 degrees to the listening position so right on the borderline edge for a 7.1.4 atmos layout according to the guides but correctly placed for a 7.1.6 fwiw (top middle provides the in-fill in that layout). I cant say that at that angle the overhead effect is strong. For the rear I have dolby enabled PSBs up-firing to the ceiling. Again, overhead is present but not directionally strong, hence the interest in whether up-firing as a middle set of speakers would be more beneficial.

FWIW, found these Atmos related test files for channel identification and test clips via the accucalav.com site - useful set to use in testing configurations: Atmos – Google Drive
I have marantz 7015, which make up 5.1.4 system, including two "front height" speakers and two "top middle" speakers.
I want to upgrade into T778, but can't confirm whether the speakers can work correctly. hope someone can answer.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 92
I have marantz 7015, which make up 5.1.4 system, including two "front height" speakers and two "top middle" speakers.
I want to upgrade into T778, but can't confirm whether the speakers can work correctly. hope someone can answer.
The NAD778 has 9 internal amplifiers.
The standard five will be LCR plus Surround.
The four remaining amplifiers can be configured as Height Channels - where you then get the option of Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear (Dolby Enabled is also an option - but you have physical height channels, not reflection types - so not applicable in your system).
Regards, Mike.

I’m seriously thinking of buying a T778 this weekend and selling my Marantz 7013 .
Are most of the reported bugs & glitches sorted now & is the HDMI 2.1 upgrade card official or just an assumption at the moment ?

The NAD778 has 9 internal amplifiers.
The standard five will be LCR plus Surround.
The four remaining amplifiers can be configured as Height Channels - where you then get the option of Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear (Dolby Enabled is also an option - but you have physical height channels, not reflection types - so not applicable in your system).
Regards, Mike.
Thanks.
but In addition to Top front, Top middle, and Top rear options, Marantz also provides Front height and Rear height options.
Two of my sky speakers are installed according to Front height (place directly above the front speakers, and mount as close to the ceiling as possible), which does not meet the top front installation requirements(The vertical angle is within the range of 30-50°), so I want to confirm whether the t778 amplifier can work correctly.

The picture below is taken from the Marantz manual.
1631338502486.png

I use height channels and have set them as “top” in the setup of my T778 and it works fine.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to save a setting where the 778 uses Dirac for HDMI 1 but no dirac (just L+R) for Stereo on the Blusound input? I have tried but to no avail to get the AV presets to work but to no avail...

Can anyone tell me if its possible to save a setting where the 778 uses Dirac for HDMI 1 but no dirac (just L+R) for Stereo on the Blusound input? I have tried but to no avail to get the AV presets to work but to no avail...
Can you save it as one of the av preset things? I'm sure you can set up to 5 and save them to an input ....

Tried that loads of times but I cant get it to work :(
What have you tried? Not asking for an exhaustive list - but my thought would be full range l and r. No sub. Dirac off. Mine isn't set up at present but testing new speakers at the weekend so I really should boot it up for this exact reason!

Yep done that, and saved it to a preset but it still doesn’t work. I do wonder if I am saving the preset incorrectly…please let me know how you get on 👍

Yep done that, and saved it to a preset but it still doesn’t work. I do wonder if I am saving the preset incorrectly…please let me know how you get on 👍
The AV presets are deffinately the way to do this. I have preset 1 set for movies/TV and preset 2 set for music with my front speakers set to large, using a different Dirac preset, and keeping the screen on. All inputs are set to preset 1, except input 6 (BluOS) which is preset 2.

To configure it, you need to set the system to the settings you want, save it to a preset (e.g. preset 2), then change the preset assigned to that input/source to the one you just saved it to (preset 2).

Then repeat the process for the other configuration/presets/inputs.

Will do!

I finally figured out the issue with the AV presets and why some of you are having no issues and some like me are chasing our tails trying to get them to work.

Long story short, use the OSD on your tv to set them up, if you do they will all work.
Then use the remote to load them (small av preset button +number) when not using the OSD.
I’ve discovered using the touch panel to save the presets / load the presets is the issue, it may save (certainly saves the name), but it’s not loading correctly.
Also when using the remote to select the AV preset, you will see it display on the touchscreen but when you go into the AV presets setup (on the touchscreen) it doesn’t show the “live” preset, it shows the last selected when in that window - this also leads to confusion.

Now I’ve got the presets working, I can assign them to sources (hdmi inputs etc), as I tend to watch film at night I can have the touch panel turn off for night viewing v when using bluos I like to see artwork + metadata.

Another one to look out for - the source setup, when in this area, the source AV preset should be at none by default. Mine did have preset values which also lead to confusion.

Ive fed this in more detail back to Nick @The Sound Counsel who will pass onto NAD.
Hopefully it’s not too difficult for them to patch this part of the application.

note for the iOS users who may pay for the workaround NAD OSD app, the presets on their app don’t work correctly either.
From #750 ref presets.

The AV presets are deffinately the way to do this. I have preset 1 set for movies/TV and preset 2 set for music with my front speakers set to large, using a different Dirac preset, and keeping the screen on. All inputs are set to preset 1, except input 6 (BluOS) which is preset 2.

To configure it, you need to set the system to the settings you want, save it to a preset (e.g. preset 2), then change the preset assigned to that input/source to the one you just saved it to (preset 2).

Then repeat the process for the other configuration/presets/inputs.
Hi, am looking to do something similar in the near future, can I set different volume levels for different inputs.

When watching Apple TV, the amp needs to be at -20Db, when listening to music via Bluesound, it needs to be -35Db.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi, am looking to do something similar in the near future, can I set different volume levels for different inputs.

When watching Apple TV, the amp needs to be at -20Db, when listening to music via Bluesound, it needs to be -35Db.

Many thanks

Andy
As far as I'm aware this isn't possible unfortunately, I'd like this feature myself. There is a setting for adjusting an inputs analogue volume but I don't think it applies to digital.

The BluOS input does seem to be a decent amount louder than the others for some reason.

Thanks for your reply, a bit disappointed , but you have probably saved me an enormous amount of time and frustration trying to get this done!!

Andy

Thanks.
but In addition to Top front, Top middle, and Top rear options, Marantz also provides Front height and Rear height options.
Two of my sky speakers are installed according to Front height (place directly above the front speakers, and mount as close to the ceiling as possible), which does not meet the top front installation requirements(The vertical angle is within the range of 30-50°), so I want to confirm whether the t778 amplifier can work correctly.

The picture below is taken from the Marantz manual.
View attachment 1568826
I had my T778 running with Front Height (SVS Prime Elevation) and the rear as dolby surround ceiling bounce (PSB's). works ok in dolby surround where theres some vertical presence and gives a expansive feel to the sound but in atmos the overhead is too far front and somewhat muddled. Have now mounted four SVS in the correct top/rear front config and its perceptibly changed the sound positioning making it sound correct. I was hoping the T778 would process in a partial .6 config but doesnt so cant use front/rear hights with top middle in any combination. Having made the change it was worth the effort and should have done it when I got the amp originally. So, if you're not too bothered about atmos accuracy, it'll give some height sensation but if you want accuracy its another amp or change to speaker position.

As far as I'm aware this isn't possible unfortunately, I'd like this feature myself. There is a setting for adjusting an inputs analogue volume but I don't think it applies to digital.

The BluOS input does seem to be a decent amount louder than the others for some reason.
BluOS is louder because NAD hasn't reserved enough digital headroom when processing stereo streams. Levels are several dB too high, leading to distortion when playing close to full range signals when sub crossovers are engaged.

If you have a source which can switch between stereo (2.0) and multichannel (5.1/7.1) output (e.g a PC), you will notice that levels are noticeably lower when dealing with multichannel content. This also avoids the distortion bug. See here:

NAD seem to have given up pretending they care about fixing their products...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom