NEWS: NAD T 778 flagship AVR & Owner's Thread

Very tempted, would like to know about HDMI 2.1; if an upgrade is available at a later date for a reasonable price could be no issue.

I have a NAD M10 which is excellent, and this would be a perfect partner on my network for the home cinema room.

NAD's site still says coming soon & has no manual for download
Anyone seen a picture of the remote for this thing? I want to know if it still says Audessey on the remote like my 777's does

I can't understand why manufacturers are slow in implementing hdmi 2.1 it's been available for quite sometime, and is the current spec for hdmi.its the same with TVs except for LG who had it on last year's TVs...and especially with the ps5 / Xbox coming. And people who love music and movies it's obviously that the receiver would be the main hub

@ Andy Bassett does it pass through any HDR Formats?

Thanks

Does anyone know whether both HDMI outputs provide 4k resolution? Only one is labeled 4K... :thumbsdow
I had been thinking of Denon 8500 / 6500 or Marantz SR8012, but this looks like a nice option for the 5.2.4 system I'm installing in my new home. Wondering if I get one of these if I'll need the Iota AVXP1 I pulled the trigger on a few weeks ago?! Decisions, decisions...

Nope. Never. That big old fan in the rear is a dealbreaker. Seeing as I’ve now got two M10’s in my house, I’m a NAD fan, but I don’t like noisy equipment.

Nope. Never. That big old fan in the rear is a dealbreaker. Seeing as I’ve now got two M10’s in my house, I’m a NAD fan, but I don’t like noisy equipment.
My T777 has quite an array of fans on the underside from memory - never heard them.
That said is the amplification on offer 'digital' now - it weighs almost half my 777 and has 2 more channels and a smaller chassis

Will these support the Dirac Bass Management module when is it released?

@ Andy Bassett does it pass through any HDR Formats?

Thanks

The previous ones do, I'd be surprised if this doesn't. They don't touch the video signal, it's complete passthrough

If it's anything like the current models, the fans will only kick in at super high volumes, at which point you wouldn't hear the fans anyway. Besides, looks like an 80mm fan, which if it's too loud you could probably swap it out for a nice Noctua one

Looks a lot better than the existing designs. The thing that would worry me is software bugs and even problems with the hardware going from the recent years history of the T series AV amps.

Hey @Andy Bassett
The press release says : "Employing NAD’s Modular Design Construction (MDC), the T 778 is protected from premature obsolescence while at the same time bringing the most up to date features including 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, DTS Master Audio, plus Dirac Live room correction along with bit-perfect 4K UHD video pass-through."

Is this a 9CH amp with 11Ch processing capabilities ? or an additional MDC slot will provide 2 extra channels ?

Otherwise i dont see how a 9 ch Receiver will do 7.1.4.

Thanks

Sounds great, hopefully some of the old issues ironed out.

Hey @Andy Bassett
The press release says : "Employing NAD’s Modular Design Construction (MDC), the T 778 is protected from premature obsolescence while at the same time bringing the most up to date features including 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos, DTS Master Audio, plus Dirac Live room correction along with bit-perfect 4K UHD video pass-through."

Is this a 9CH amp with 11Ch processing capabilities ? or an additional MDC slot will provide 2 extra channels ?

Otherwise i dont see how a 9 ch Receiver will do 7.1.4.

Thanks
All of the pre-outs for 7.1.4 are already on there, with 9 channels of on-board amplification

I was seriously interested in buying this until I found out it does not support DLNA.
My home is full of DLNA compatible devices and not a single BlueOS device, my server with all my music and videos is DLNA so the network streaming on this is useless to me, and home network streaming is 90% of what I watch and listen to these days.
Such a shame as otherwise it really fits my needs.

I was seriously interested in buying this until I found out it does not support DLNA.
My home is full of DLNA compatible devices and not a single BlueOS device, my server with all my music and videos is DLNA so the network streaming on this is useless to me, and home network streaming is 90% of what I watch and listen to these days.
Your TV supports DLNA, why not stream to that and use ARC?

Your TV supports DLNA, why not stream to that and use ARC?
Because if I am spending £2,500 on an amp I want to feed it lossless audio such as DTS-HD Master, DTS-X, Dolby Atmos, none of which will work through ARC.
Also I don't want to have to have my TV on just to listen to music.

I've just ordered one of these to replace the Denon 6500 ive been running at home for the last 6 months or so. Looks the business, super keen to see what it can do in the cinema. Nick has been installing the 777 and sang it's praises when I joined. Ill be writing a blog post on it as soon as i can get it plumed in.

Dan

I simply point BluOS (on my T758v3) to the shares on my Windows server where my local music files reside. You should be able to do the same on a 778.

I’m starting to look around for a replacement for my Yamaha RX-A3010 which I run bi-amped to my Kef R900 fronts in a 5.1 configuration at the moment. Any idea if the NAD can also be configured to bi-amp in the same way? Sorry if it’s a silly question but I’m. very out of date on such things. Do most mid/high end receivers allow bi-amping? Maybe I won’t need to be-amp but as I had spare channels on the Yamaha thats the way I went. Thanks 😀

I’m starting to look around for a replacement for my Yamaha RX-A3010 which I run bi-amped to my Kef R900 fronts in a 5.1 configuration at the moment. Any idea if the NAD can also be configured to bi-amp in the same way? Sorry if it’s a silly question but I’m. very out of date on such things. Do most mid/high end receivers allow bi-amping? Maybe I won’t need to be-amp but as I had spare channels on the Yamaha thats the way I went. Thanks 😀
Connecting any receiver up for bi-amping isn't really worth the effort. It's passive bi-amping and is just taking power from the same source, diluting that power that is required to drive the remaining connected speakers. The KEFs thrive on power and you would be better served by investing in a good power amp, or stereo amp with HT by-pass if you have good music sources, to drive the 900s. That way you'll have a far more stable power supply.

I use a Rega Elicit-R to drive my fronts via my Denon X6200 pre-outs, not so much for the extra power but for a superior stereo music performance and the surround sound has improved. Your biggest improvement from a NAD is going to come from a far better room correction.

Thanks very much gibbsy. Very useful info. I went down the bi-amp route as I knew the R900's would need a decent amount of grunt to drive them and as I had "spare" channels to dish out (the AVR is 9.2, yet I am only running 5.1 at the moment) I thought "why not" repurpose the unused channels.
Stereo listening is just as important to me (mostly Amazon Prime Music HD and my ripped lossless CD collection), so I take your point about adding a dedciated amp to run the front R900's.

I won't clutter this thread any further, so I'll start a new topic in the appropriate forum on this. Thanks again.

I had pretty much set on something from the Marantz line up to partner with a kef l50 setup, but this new NAD has gotten my attention.

Do we know of this will stream from Amazon Music HD??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom