NEWS: NAD T 778 flagship AVR & Owner's Thread

Vendo91

Standard Member
This is kind of long, so bear with me!

I received my T778 Thursday and did a basic setup in my 5.1 system that evening. I've got B&W CM6 S2, CM Center, and CM1 rears, with an REL 7i sub, in a smallish room (seated 13 ft. from center channel) with LG's newest 55" OLED screen. My sources are Xfinity 4k cable, Apple TV 4k, Oppo 105D CD/DVD, and Pro Ject Debut Carbon turntable. Streaming music via BluOS from Amazon Music HD, a Tidal trial, and Apple Music via Apple TV box.

Installation went very easily, until it didn't power up! I got ahead of myself and neglected to read the instructions and didn't realize there was a main power switch on the back of the unit. This was actually a good thing, since I disconnected everything and started over, and did a much better job of tidying up cables in my cabinet.

WiFi connection went extremely smoothly, and it updated the firmware and BluOS in just a few minutes. So far so good! After powering back up, I wanted to check the basics and make sure I was getting video and audio on my sources. No audio, and no video from my cable box. I did a power cycle and everything started working. It has dropped video from my cable box a few times when changing sources, and when I unplug my HDMI from the box it comes back. This is an old HDMI cable and as soon as I changed it no issues. I've got new high-speed cables on the way and will replace them all next week just to be on the safe side. This is really my first experience with 4k video, as I had an early pre-4k T777. Wow, especially Dolby Vision 4k!

I set the front speakers to biamp mode, and set speaker distances and SPL levels using an iPhone app. One quirk of the REL subwoofer is that it uses both LFE low-level connection as well as a high-level connection to the main fronts. As such, you really need to run the front mains in Large mode so full range audio gets to the subwoofer, especially important in 2-channel music listening. More on this later.

I finally had it all dialed in enough to start watching some movie scenes (specifically Mad Max Fury Road and The Invisible Man) and listening to music. Just amazing degree of detail and location now, particularly low-level detail in movies. I had a constant issue with center channel detail and volume in my T777, and could never get the balance consistently where I liked it. The T778 is a game changer, and the distinction between the front and back speakers just disappeared into one big soundfield that extended well beyond them. My room has bass issues, which was one of the main reasons for wanted a newer receiver with Dirac. Even before Dirac correction, the bass was much cleaner, faster, and much better defined. There was a leanness to it, but not in the sense that it lacked extension. 2-channel was a huge improvement over the T777 as well. I can't say I love the BluOS app, but it seems to integrate pretty well with Amazon Music HD, and sounds terrific. I did a lot of A/B between the Apple Music stream from Apple TV, and Amazon HD, and there is no comparison. Amazon HD is really a bargain!

The lack of an OSD is kind of a pain, but I can live with it. I guess from what I've read the official NAD app doesn't work with the T778, or at least I couldn't get it to. I'm using the non-official app, which is very limited in function but does the basics. I did have an issue with a runaway volume control however, and I'm not sure if it was something on the app or the unit. While adjusting it from the app it just kept going up, so I had to go to the unit and dial it back, but it just kept rising until I had to power down the receiver. It hasn't happened since. I haven't had any of the popping reported when changing sources.

I love the touchscreen, even though it's of limited use for me since my unit is in a cabinet. I don't understand why the remote couldn't be bluetooth however, and I've got some IR repeaters on the way from Monoprice that I hope will work well. A physical owners manual would be nice for a $3k piece of gear as well.

I have a bunch of questions regarding assigning presets to sources that I'll ask once I've had a chance to spend more time with it. I received my UMIK-1 mic yesterday and did the extended Dirac Live setup last night, and I'll post about it later this weekend. Suffice to say I was excited about the sound before but fairly blown away now!
Nice writeup, can you tell us as to how you connected your REL sub Highlevel connection ? Did you connect the black wire to the Ground screw on NAD ?

BlackSpider777

All this popping sound on boot up users are complaining about, does it happen even if you use the front speakers through Preout to an external amp?

Thanks.

I am between an avr 20 or not, have you been able to hear any current arcam?
I had the arcam avr850 and lexicon rv9 so something similar to the new ones. I still preferred the nad

josephvman

The REL has what they call a Speakon connector that has a left/right/ground that you piggyback onto the main speaker connections. You use the ground from either one, doesn’t matter.

Nice writeup, can you tell us as to how you connected your REL sub Highlevel connection ? Did you connect the black wire to the Ground screw on NAD ?

Skyrider

Thanks guys. I'm not worried at all about set up and tweaking especially as there are people here that love to help.
I think better sound quality all round is at the top of my list for the next step.
I do love how the 3 Denons I've had just work with everything you throw at them. I just feel I may be missing something with regards to sound. It's almost like the Denons are trying too hard to do everything.
I will say that the NAD T778 and Anthems are quite a bit more expensive than I was thinking of spending.
No rush for anything at the moment anyway.
Let us know how the auditions go @Skyrider
Just been trying out the Arcam AVR10: decided to give it a go now that it is reportedly more stable, but have not had much success with it.

For the same money you get FM/DAB tuners, plus the full range version of the Dirac software. However, I had several issues when trying to run the calibration software, never achieving a satisfactory result. I also ended up with a corrupted OSD, although a factory reset resolved that one.

So, I've not been able to listen to it in all its potential glory, which is disappointing, but life is too short for this kind of hassle.

Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I find it far from beautiful.

The NAD is currently top of my shortlist, pending auditioning of the Anthems...

Gori11a

Standard Member
Not a great experience with the Arcam then.
NAD still top of my list also. Just hanging on for the new Anthems although even higher than my stretched budget for the 740😱

CynanX

Just seen that an update is available.

MCU: 2.20
DSP: 1.23
Video: 1.14
BluOS: 3.12.13

Can’t see any info. online yet to tell us what it adds/fixes.

Changing audio codec pops still present.

BlackSpider777

Ok found this question answered by a Nad employee again on the Nad fb group, here he mentions its a hardware issue with the T778 which got fixed in production, the popping sound issue.

Take it with a pinch of salt as the same employee said that the T758 v3 disables the Front channel internal amps with the pre outs is used ;)

Attachments

magrillz

Ok found this question answered by a Nad employee again on the Nad fb group, here he mentions its a hardware issue with the T778 which got fixed in production, the popping sound issue.

Take it with a pinch of salt as the same employee said that the T758 v3 disables the Front channel internal amps with the pre outs is used ;)
I believe I’ve got one of the newer models, still have slight crackle at power on but never had pops or clicks when the codecs switch over. I do however appreciate this maybe due to speaker sensitivity. Mines been rock solid So far.

magrillz

BlackSpider777

I believe I’ve got one of the newer models, still have slight crackle at power on but never had pops or clicks when the codecs switch over. I do however appreciate this maybe due to speaker sensitivity. Mines been rock solid So far.
u get a slight crackle from the speaker or the unit itself?

Cyprio

Anyone know what Bluetooth audio codec the NAD supports and whether it's two way or one way?

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
One thing I didn't test in my review is HLG passthrough on the T778. Is anyone successfully using Sky with HLG passthrough on the T778?

Dan

steviedr

Distinguished Member
It does indeed pass HLG as @RebulahConundrum said.
Sky Q attached to hdmi 1 on the Nad, tv showing HLG flag

5DEFCC64-C74D-4E6F-8345-0FD2824C9D43.jpeg

anteranz

I had the arcam avr850 and lexicon rv9 so something similar to the new ones. I still preferred the nad
Hello as a simple curiosity when you compared the denon 8500h against the nad did you use the multeq editor app? What speaker model do you have? And is nad t778 a little better than the 8500h or is it a lot better? I'm about to pull the trigger to do a test in my living room

Skyrider

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks, that's good to know. Have you tried any HDR10/HDR10+ content? If so, what does it show on the display?

Cheers.
Yeah so if I watch Netflix through Sky Q all DV content is just in HDR and LG throws that flag up. My tv doesn’t support 10+ so can’t comment on that one.

Skyrider

Yeah so if I watch Netflix through Sky Q all DV content is just in HDR and LG throws that flag up. My tv doesn’t support 10+ so can’t comment on that one.
Thanks again, steviedr. Interesting results through the Sky Q box: could this be a limitation of the Sky Q box, or does Sky re-transmit Netflix content in Sky's own format?

I will ask if anyone else can help regarding HDR10/HDR10+...

Skyrider

As mentioned above, a request to any T 778 owners who have TVs which support HDR10/HDR10+:

Could you please view some HDR10/HDR10+ content through the amp & let us know what is flagged up on your display with regard to the HDR format?

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett