NEWS: Mulan to premiere on Disney+ on 4th September

Hey, its still 20% better than nothing. Unless you think it isn't?

Think you missed the point

20% of sales is a huge number
20% of profit could well be zero

For example say they sell 6 million copies.

That is $180,00,000 in sales.

But since the film cost $200,000,000 to make it will probably need to take $400,000,000 to start making a profit

So 20% of sales is $36,000,000
And 20% of profit is $0

In your post you interchanged the two, I was just asking which it was.

Cheers,

Nigel

Think you missed the point there Nigel.

ill catch it on the new Sky Animation movie channel

It’s not an animated movie.
and a lot of stuff altered, no mushu in the live action one. They have ruined every single live movie adaption ive ever watched so far.

I am hoping for a 4K release on disc. Not really into streaming movies. The movie looks interesting.

Personally, I'm very disappointed by this decision. I'd have liked them to still show it in.cinemas (if they're open) also. I've been looking forward to seeing Mulan for quite a while now. It was going to be the first trip back to the cinema.

I live alone so there's no way I'm spending £30 to watch it at home on my own, when I paid £200 for an annual limitless card. I'd rather save my £30 and hope for a 4K BD release, meaning I probably won't get to see it for quite a while longer yet!

So, frustratingly, my local cinema is re-opening (and reactivating my limitless card) on the strength of just 1 big movie now, Tenet. Before lockdown I got great value out of my cinema pass (going to the cinema at least once a week). The only way this will happen in the coming months is if I go see Tenet multiple times. All the other bookable films so far are the ones that came to VOD during lockdown.

Not the first time I've said this lately but "BAD DISNEY"

I am hoping for a 4K release on disc. Not really into streaming movies. The movie looks interesting.
Disney have just announced major cancellations on 4K discs ---the whole Fox catalogue, so I think we are seeing a trend here; they may try and corner the market for their IP, on Disney+ only.

Not welcome, this.

I do suspect cinemas do still have a medium term future, restructuring and rationalisation notwithstanding. The pandemic will certainly affect consumer habits and preferences to some extent, but pandemic pressure will ease, albeit that may take a while.

As for whether this means the end of / a slowing of $200m blockbusters, that must be a good thing. Fewer resources hopefully promotes some more imaginative and grounded storytelling, as opposed to multi-level CGI fests which for the most part are just an unmemorable mush.

Disney have actually come out with a statement
“There are no plans to discontinue releases in a particular format. We evaluate each release on a case by case basis and pursue the best strategy to bring our content into consumer homes across platforms that meet a variety of demands.”

While this does read as they're not actively stopping releasing on 4K, it also doesn't mean they've got plans to release films on the format. Actions speak louder than words, so we'll see what happens. Maybe the online feedback has changed their minds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom