NEWS: Mulan rumoured to net $260M in US for Disney+ premiere

La Finta Nonna

Those numbers if they are accurate are a game changer in a market that is on its knees those sort of figures will encourage every other studio to want to do the same

nheather

Distinguished Member
Those numbers if they are accurate are a game changer in a market that is on its knees those sort of figures will encourage every other studio to want to do the same
Agreed, although don’t forget that Disney has the advantage of their own streaming platform. Selling your expensive movie through Netflix, Prime or iTunes won’t be anywhere near as profitable.

Cheers,

Nigel

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
I get the feeling Disney is now going to ruin the Cinema market just like it did the VHS rental market in the 90s as they were the ones who insisted on allowing the VHS's to be sold at the same as coming out for rent. The first ones to do so.

nheather

Distinguished Member
To be honest I can’t see how the cinemas will survive at all. Sure they are operating at the moment, but even with Tenet it is a fraction of what they were earning. Before Covid they weren’t make huge profits, Cineworld was said to have be facing significant financial challenges even before Covid.

I think a lot of businesses are ‘the dead walking’ because of furlough and rent holidays. Their business is effectively dead but because they aren’t having to pay two of their biggest bills, salary and rent they can continue to exist in a zombie state giving a very false picture of the impact of Covid.

I have three Cineworld memberships, all currently frozen, but I am close to the point of cancelling altogether. I not prepared to restart them any time soon because I don’t think the risk to my health is worth it but even if I did the experience (wearing a mask etc.) is not particularly pleasant and there is little to see. There are few big releases on the horizon but even those will probably be delayed too as we get closer to them.

Cheers,

Nigel

mazon27091

I must admit it is becoming a bit strange talking about (on AV Forums Film & TV On Demand Streaming section) whether cinema will survive the pandemic. Surely we should be more excited in this part of the forum about PVod and Disney+ Vod. Regardless of the merits of Mulan it was a good evening to settle down in my home cinema and watch this on my own Atmos speakers and large screen. To be honest I did not miss the cinema experience as I had it at home, safely in my living room. Comfy seating and if need be a comfort break during the film too (as you get older you'll realise how important that is.) Popcorn and Soft drinks (or Wine as there is no drive home at the end of the movie.) This is the reason I built my home cinema.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I must admit it is becoming a bit strange talking about (on AV Forums Film & TV On Demand Streaming section) whether cinema will survive the pandemic. Surely we should be more excited in this part of the forum about PVod and Disney+ Vod. Regardless of the merits of Mulan it was a good evening to settle down in my home cinema and watch this on my own Atmos speakers and large screen. To be honest I did not miss the cinema experience as I had it at home, safely in my living room. Comfy seating and if need be a comfort break during the film too (as you get older you'll realise how important that is.) Popcorn and Soft drinks (or Wine as there is no drive home at the end of the movie.) This is the reason I built my home cinema.
Most people can’t afford the equipment that you are talking about and even if they can they don’t have the room to accommodate it - what I mean is that very few people have a room that will accommodate a good HT setup (especially sound).

I have a 65” OLED - really nice TV but,

• seating too far back
  • seating does not suit 5.1 or 7.2
  • room does not support Atmos
  • too much light during the day or some evenings

Nice TV and it serves its purpose but it is a massive compromise in terms of HT.

I also find there are too many distractions when watching at home - family members talking, picking up your phone or tablet - I know these are under my control but in practice they do happen and do spoil the experience. This is why I still prefer the cinema and will be very sad if it dies.

Cheers,

Nigel

nickkuk

The trouble is, if Disney succeed you will never own a movie, and will be perpetually paying over and over to rent low bitrate streams from half a dozen streaming services.

The numbers quoted seem WAY off, I can't see that 30% of Disneys userbase would A) be interested in Mulan, and B) willing to spend an additional $30 when it will be included in the subscription in a couple of months.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
The trouble is, if Disney succeed you will never own a movie, and will be perpetually paying over and over to rent low bitrate streams from half a dozen streaming services.

The numbers quoted seem WAY off, I can't see that 30% of Disneys userbase would A) be interested in Mulan, and B) willing to spend an additional $30 when it will be included in the subscription in a couple of months.
This is my worry also. You make good points.
I buy physical media because when I want 4K I don’t want compressed low bitrate streams. The PQ and SQ is nowhere near the same
I also want to own the film.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

Low bit rate stream? You are kidding right? I am seeing 10-27 Mbps and an average bit rate in the 20s, very close to iTunes 4K (25-31 Mbps). Yesterday I compared iTunes 4K stream and its disc counterpart, barely any difference on my 65 inch OLED even at 3ft. Maybe these streams won't look on PJ but it holds on well on screen sizes up to 77 inches.

Streaming has evolved a lot over the years. I too was of the opinion that streaming is sh*te but iTunes and D+ have proven me wrong.

Btw, my BD/UHD collection is above 1000 and the time has come to go streaming as the gap has been drastically reduced.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Low bit rate stream? You are kidding right? I am seeing 10-27 Mbps and an average bit rate in the 20s, very close to iTunes 4K (25-31 Mbps). Yesterday I compared iTunes 4K stream and its disc counterpart, barely any difference on my 65 inch OLED even at 3ft. Maybe these streams won't look on PJ but it holds on well on screen sizes up to 77 inches.

Streaming has evolved a lot over the years. I too was of the opinion that streaming is sh*te but iTunes and D+ have proven me wrong.

Btw, my BD/UHD collection is above 1000 and the time has come to go streaming as the gap has been drastically reduced.
picture quality isn’t really up for debate on streaming, it’s the sound quality that takes an absolute battering compared to a disc. When you have a 9.4.6 setup it’s a little annoying.....😒

lgans316

Distinguished Member
picture quality isn’t really up for debate on streaming, it’s the sound quality that takes an absolute battering compared to a disc. When you have a 9.4.6 setup it’s a little annoying.....😒
Its still not night and day difference but since you have separates I do feel your pain but I am having a 7.1.4 soundbar, so the 768 Kbps Atmos stream sounds almost identical to the fat Atmos on the disc.

With sound, we soon enter the territory of diminishing returns. Remember those good old DVD / LD days, even now few of the 448 Kbps audio on DVDs sound as good as the ones on BD.

Yesterday I did some A-B and I was astonished how close both versions were on my 65 inch OLED from a distance of 2 ft.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Its still not night and day difference but since you have separates I do feel your pain but I am having a 7.1.4 soundbar, so the 768 Kbps Atmos stream sounds almost identical to the fat Atmos on the disc.

With sound, we soon enter the territory of diminishing returns. Remember those good old DVD / LD days, even now few of the 448 Kbps audio on DVDs sound as good as the ones on BD.

Yesterday I did some A-B and I was astonished how close both versions were on my 65 inch OLED from a distance of 2 ft.
it IS night and day difference on certain setups, although I appreciate this isn’t the case for the majority of people.

nickkuk

it IS night and day difference on certain setups, although I appreciate this isn’t the case for the majority of people.
I also find it night and day, both the audio quality and video, especially Disneys infamous faux 4K with crushed blacks, clipped highlights, flat colour, banding and artefacts. Its seems a bit counterproductive to me if you are lucky to own high end AV and then watch the lowest quality AV source rather than the highest.

I've done tests watching streamed content and then switching to the same content on UHD and the difference is very apparent.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
The quality difference between streaming and disc has closed enough for the picture/audio comparison to be almost moot. The only major question remaining is one of ownership. I want to own my favorite discs. Plus I need the discs to watch 3D. Even if I had a 3D TV or projector they're not likely to stream those.

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The quality difference between streaming and disc has closed enough for the picture/audio comparison to be almost moot. The only major question remaining is one of ownership. I want to own my favorite discs. Plus I don't have a 3D TV or projector so I need to have the discs to watch those as well.
Agree. I have done numerous A-B in the last 10 days and struggling to notice any major differences on my 65 inch OLED from a distance of 2 ft. Paused at the same timestamp, switched HDMI inputs and the differences are very minor to the point you will need a pair of super trained eyes to discern artifacts from a reasonable viewing distance. Same applies to the comparing the scenes in motion.

Regarding Disney, they have the habit of tweaking many elements of both picture and sound. It looks like they tweaked Home Alone audio mix for the UHD release to the point there is nothing below 30Hz.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Regarding Disney, they have the habit of tweaking many elements of both picture and sound. It looks like they tweaked Home Alone audio mix for the UHD release to the point there is nothing below 30Hz.
It's not just Disney. Some films even filter below 50Hz.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Now Forbes predicts $90m. So the numbers are all over the place.

I was surprised that this article was even a lead article on AV Forums. This should be at best a forum post. Scott Mendelson is a well known Hollywood apologist, and even he is saying " But if Mulan really had grossed $269 million in a week in US rentals/leases alone, I’m thinking Walt Disney would have made a point to tell us about it."

It can be very difficult for anyone outside of the Disney hierarchy to truly know what is happening at the best of times, never mind now. Plus when it comes to facts and figures, Disney uses everything from overstating results, to Internet bots.

Are we going to have another article with this as the headline from Forbes?

Lee Moles

I hope this did do good numbers on Disney+

I’m happy for this to happen on more films but it’s down to the cinema chains to remain compelling

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I hope this did do good numbers on Disney+
It didn't. Yahoo Finance basically misread the original findings. No one knows exactly how much it did but everyone is pretty certain it didn't do well. The estimates are much much lower and Disney aren't exactly shouting about it from the rooftops.

richp007

Distinguished Member
It didn't. Yahoo Finance basically misread the original findings. No one knows exactly how much it did but everyone is pretty certain it didn't do well. The estimates are much much lower and Disney aren't exactly shouting about it from the rooftops.
I'm very happy about this to be honest, only in that I hope it's now a lesson to release both simultaneously on VOD and cinema in future. If it's considered again.

Choice is important, even during a pandemic. Disney should have been aware of this.

Certainly had an impact on the Black Widow decision anyway by the looks of it.

PlexShaw

Yep, on top of that, Mulan also going to be available on other digital retailers (I've seen pre-order options on Prime Video, Google Play and Sky Store so far) from Tuesday for £20 to buy. I guess they'll likely also be a disc release in the near future too (honestly, I'd love to see this in 3D). Perhaps the PVoD option has not been as lucrative as they had hoped?

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Yep, on top of that, Mulan also going to be available on other digital retailers (I've seen pre-order options on Prime Video, Google Play and Sky Store so far) from Monday for £20 to buy. I guess they'll likely also be a disc release in the near future too (honestly, I'd love to see this in 3D). Perhaps the PVoD option has not been as lucrative as they had hoped?
I love 3D but there is nothing here that suggests this being a decent 3D disc. I do like watch to big dumb movies with great 3D (or even great HDR), but films pretending to be better than they are? Not so much.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett