NEWS: Movie revenue stalls as Home Entertainment climbs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Andy Bassett

Andy Bassett
      Standard Member Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +82
    2. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +954
      UK seem to be slightly up but not close to the 1940-1950's but on par for that report.
      I despair now going to the cinema. Noisy people, phones on and conversations, flashes go off as they selfie to the world and the food is absolutely dire. And a cinema that cannot get over the issue that selling sweets etc. in noisy bags is not a good idea. Heck, put me in charge of the food.

Last visit, close on £35 (premium seating tickets and sundries) for Crimes of Griindenlwaldersdale or however its spelt.

Far rather get a blu ray or download or stream Apple 4K and watch it at home.

Ticket prices today for Shazam, £11.75 for a good seat. Checking Odeon they charge more for online booking (eh?)

Buy on Apple, probably similar price for one seat when it is released.

There are one or two I will be tempted to watch on the big screen but I avoid the place now unless dragged there.

3. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +363
      Totally agree. Far too many kids messing around, phones, talking etc. We need a cinema where the sound is streamed to a pair of earphones!

I only go around 2-3 times a year, next visit will be for Avengers Endgame.
      Other than those 2-3 films i'm more than happy to rent/buy the movie online in the comfort of my own home.

4. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,525
      Definitely depends on where and when you go.

My experiences when going to IMAX viewings at BFI and Cineworld have been great because you know that the people going are paying for the experience and therefore respect everyone around them.

You go to your local Vue/Odeon (just using them as examples) where people aren’t that fussed about where they see a film and it only costs £5 a ticket then you’re likely to get the problems mentioned above.

As much as I love my 65” OLED, I love going to the Cinema just as much, if not more.

5. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +361
      Odeon have recently dropped their price to a fiver for 2D and a tenner for Imax (in my area anyway), I think those prices are great. I can barely remember the last time audience members were distracting; once the film starts everyone stops chatting and enjoys the film. As much as I like my own set up at home, I'd rather see a blockbuster on the big screen.

6. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +544
      One of the problems I have with cinemas these days is their insistence on leaving on a few of the house lights during the film.

Our local Vue cinema in Rhyl is terrible for it, when I complained I was told they had to leave them on as a health and safety issue. It really spoils the image, especially in dark scenes.

7. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,127
      Following report from BBC is worth a watch:

Is Netflix killing the cinema? - BBC News

It suggests that people who stream regularly also attend frequent trips to the cinema (according a study by NATO - no, not that one).

Prior to me setting up my home cinema, I used to go to the cinema regularly (approx 60-70 trips per year) but now I favour convenience and prefer to watch stuff projected at home. That said, I do love that communal enjoyment of a film though and tend to go for more event-cinema trips (i.e. I've done 300-mile round trips for 70mm or IMAX presentations).

What worries me slightly is the gradual decline (both in the US and internationally) of physical media. I just hope that physical media continues to survive, even for niche users like us.

8. domtheone

domtheone
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,477
      Cinemas in Notts are very average at best so its a 40 mile trip to Sheffield for good A/V. Circa £16 for the Sheffield IMAX screen though.o_O Reserved for event movies that are definitely worth it.

Average around 6-10 cinema visits a year now and cant see that going up any time soon.

If they were that bothered about it, the industry could significantly lower prices to encourange more peeps back to the cinema, but they’re not. Hey ho.

9. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,873
      Don't forget we are mostly a load of grumpy old gits on here,for a lot younger people,they don't want watch movies at home with their parents.
      Plus i remember a lot of my mates going to are local flea pit,when we were younger,for others things than just watching the movie :D,and i am told it still happen theses days.
      Plus it can still be really great to see some movies on the big screen.

:)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    10. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +954
      Grumpy as hell when a load of teens giggling and @rsing around that probably just spent 100 or so between them just waste it chatting and snap chatting or on book the face. I didn't go there to waste loot:p

OAP's can be the worst, you go in on a weekday and they come in in groups. Fair enough. Then start to not die coughing up sweets they bought, complaining the film is violent, is Doris still alive.......

I don't go anymore because people at my local cinema spoil it.

The fleapits were interesting places, sweets stuck to screens and scraped off, seats, unmentionable sticky stuff everywhere and carpets that glooped when you walked on them and stank of cigarette and sweat. They belong in the 60's and what they charged was not a lot.

11. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,343
      The last time i went to the cinema (6-7 years ago) the projector wasn't focused properly and the sound was set up so you get deafened by the explosions but couldn't hear dialogue properly plus audience behaviour as others have described.