Quantcast

NEWS: Monitor Audio launches Bronze 6G speaker series

flashf1

Very very excited for these, I think these will be a blind buy for me (200 model) Replacing my Q acoustics 3020i on stands, was considering the 3030i, but I think these will be better

Gasp3621

I think the AMS Atmos speakers are going to be big hit for many! While they can be used with any white/black speakers one has at home they are spot on match with Bronze 50/200 and older 1/5 models and also with Silver 50 / 200 as the width is same. Also if the bounce don´t work cause of the ceiling type/listening distance etc. they have keyholes behind the speakers for wall mounting and can be used as front/side wall heights which has given great results for many - even better than the bouncing!

password1

I think the AMS Atmos speakers are going to be big hit for many! While they can be used with any white/black speakers one has at home they are spot on match with Bronze 50/200 and older 1/5 models and also with Silver 50 / 200 as the width is same. Also if the bounce don´t work cause of the ceiling type/listening distance etc. they have keyholes behind the speakers for wall mounting and can be used as front/side wall heights which has given great results for many - even better than the bouncing!

They could possibly be used as surrounds. They're the same price as the fx surrounds which may not be as versatile for future reconfiguration.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
That's some pretty decent pricing and they don't look cheap. The lack of grill holes is a must these days unless ultra cheap.

flashf1

That's some pretty decent pricing and they don't look cheap. The lack of grill holes is a must these days unless ultra cheap.
Absolutely but unfortunately the surround fx speakers have the grill holes, 12 of them, such a shame. The cynic in me says it’s because otherwise they’d match too well with the silver fronts so people would save money and grab the bronze for surrounds...

Hoku

FWIW, the MA Silver FX2’s also have grille holes and aren’t magnetic. Only the front speakers in the Silver range have magnetic grilles.

password1

It would also be interesting to hear how the new bronze compare to the old gold..

the bronze 100 cost a little more than the old but excellent gold gs10 with rst and c cam.

flashf1

FWIW, the MA Silver FX2’s also have grille holes and aren’t magnetic. Only the front speakers in the Silver range have magnetic grilles.
Ah thanks, must have been the gold I saw with no grill holes. Still seems like a strange decision to not have a uniform design

Hoku

I’m not an expert but I have owned iterations of Radius (270HD, 90HD), Apex (A10), Silver (current FXV2) and Gold (GX50) ranges over the years.

Apart from the ribbon tweeter of the Gold series (which I actually think isn’t as sweet or full bodied as the gold dome tweeter in the Radius series I had), I think the major differences between each range is the cabinet design and quality.

i do like the appearance of the new Bronze range, but I would doubt that they are as inert, heavy or well finished as the Silver series. But for their respective prices, they do look pretty good. If I was starting out with a multichannel set-up, the Bronze range would be a good place to begin looking If you were happy with full-size speakers.

if not, and you need something a little more diminutive, the Radius range, although it’s been out for a while now, is an absolute cracker and can take one or two amplifier upgrades in their stride quite easily.

Tony212

Thanks for that. I'd looked at the Radius 270 and thought they might be more suited to cinema viewing as part of a 5.1 system than 2-channel music, which is my priority. Having just checked a couple of reviews, it seems that people are using them for stereo music but using the W12 sub as well, and that makes a good music system. It brings the total price up to around £1150 though, and there are a lot of other options for that price level.

flashf1

I had the radius 270 for about 6 months and the highs, mid range, clarity were superb, just didn't have the low end for a lot of music and especially movies. I was trying to avoid a subwoofer as I wanted a clean look. Currently using Q Acoustics 3020i on stands which are excellent, but I think i'll go for these new MA 200's as they be a nice bass upgrade, and having had the bronze bookshelves on the past, I'm confident that I'd like the sound

kosch

Wonder if the atmos speakers are much different to the Dali Alteco C-1 I have sitting on my bronzes now.

flashf1

I was all set on the Dali Oberon 5, but may wait a few weeks for reviews for the 200's. Opinions anyone? (based on previous bronze 5's...)

Gasp3621

I’m not an expert but I have owned iterations of Radius (270HD, 90HD), Apex (A10), Silver (current FXV2) and Gold (GX50) ranges over the years.

Apart from the ribbon tweeter of the Gold series (which I actually think isn’t as sweet or full bodied as the gold dome tweeter in the Radius series I had), I think the major differences between each range is the cabinet design and quality.

i do like the appearance of the new Bronze range, but I would doubt that they are as inert, heavy or well finished as the Silver series. But for their respective prices, they do look pretty good. If I was starting out with a multichannel set-up, the Bronze range would be a good place to begin looking If you were happy with full-size speakers.

if not, and you need something a little more diminutive, the Radius range, although it’s been out for a while now, is an absolute cracker and can take one or two amplifier upgrades in their stride quite easily.
Yep, there is still differences to Silver range. Engineers can only do so much with given budget. Some of them i have listed here:

Sounds like the ribbon transducer wasn`t for you.

Seeing some measurements for the older Radius it might not be audiophiles first pick. I talked with tech person at MA he said Radius is voiced to suit the lifestyle image = brighter where as Bronze and Silver range are voiced to sound as more traditional hifi speakers. Radius does need lot of power to sing, the sensitivity was around 85db measured for the slim towers, less for the bookshelf 90s (83db spec) and nominal impedance lower than on Bronze/Silver. Radius line was released 2013 and last i talked with MA they didn´t have plans to update it cause it´s lifestyle product, those usually go 10years without update.

Gasp3621

I was all set on the Dali Oberon 5, but may wait a few weeks for reviews for the 200's. Opinions anyone? (based on previous bronze 5's...)
No don´t pick by reviews, you might not agree with the listener! Wait until you can hear them. They will sound very different, Dali is lot brighter and this is something either you love or feel listening fatigue can become issue in long term. I listened both speakers older versions head to head with Silver 6s as third. There is lot to like with Dalis, but for me bit on the brighter side - didn´t feel natural. The wide soundstage they threw was amazing and the same should hold true with Oberons. Will be curious how the new Bronzes tweeter waweguide affects and what kind of changes they have done for the overall tone. The designer said the performance and build quality is something special in this price range, we`ll see about that. :)

flashf1

No don´t pick by reviews, you might not agree with the listener! Wait until you can hear them. They will sound very different, Dali is lot brighter and this is something either you love or feel listening fatigue can become issue in long term. I listened both speakers older versions head to head with Silver 6s as third. There is lot to like with Dalis, but for me bit on the brighter side - didn´t feel natural. The wide soundstage they threw was amazing and the same should hold true with Oberons. Will be curious how the new Bronzes tweeter waweguide affects and what kind of changes they have done for the overall tone. The designer said the performance and build quality is something special in this price range, we`ll see about that. :)
Thanks, unfortunately in ROI the only place I can demo speakers is hifihut, and they are not stockists of Monitor Audio for some strange reason! So it's either a 5 hour round trip up north or else purchase based on reviews and my experience with previous bronze. Whatayegonnado!!

Gasp3621

Thanks, unfortunately in ROI the only place I can demo speakers is hifihut, and they are not stockists of Monitor Audio for some strange reason! So it's either a 5 hour round trip up north or else purchase based on reviews and my experience with previous bronze. Whatayegonnado!!
Well if you have heard the earlier Bronzes you will have good idea. If your dealer offers Dali for demo then listen it. I have pushed so many members listening them and it has gone in both ways. I think you will know fairly quick is the Oberon for you or not cause these two won´t sound same at all! Just keep them shooting straight (no toe in).

Tony212

I had a demo of the Oberon 5 and Opticon 5. I actually preferred the Oberon and really liked the sound. I didn't find it bright at all - certainly the mids seemed a bit lifted, but that's fine as it gives body and musicality, and the large 29mm tweeter was great for vocal and it rolled off nicely. No shrillness. The Opticon was also good and had an extra layer of high frequency due to the ribbon tweeter, but it lost bass and body due to only having one mid/woofer.

I've not heard any MA speakers yet, so how would you describe the difference between a Bronze floorstander and the Oberon 5? I'm curious about the different sound signatures manufacturers have.

Khankat

I was on the verge of buying B&W 603 but, if honest with myself, I have to audition other makes and models, including monitor Audio. I was thinking silver floorstander, but Bronze may suit better. I have no idea how they sound.

Hoku

Yep, there is still differences to Silver range. Engineers can only do so much with given budget. Some of them i have listed here:

Sounds like the ribbon transducer wasn`t for you.

Seeing some measurements for the older Radius it might not be audiophiles first pick. I talked with tech person at MA he said Radius is voiced to suit the lifestyle image = brighter where as Bronze and Silver range are voiced to sound as more traditional hifi speakers. Radius does need lot of power to sing, the sensitivity was around 85db measured for the slim towers, less for the bookshelf 90s (83db spec) and nominal impedance lower than on Bronze/Silver. Radius line was released 2013 and last i talked with MA they didn´t have plans to update it cause it´s lifestyle product, those usually go 10years without update.
Actually the Radius 270’s were excellent for music. Of all the MA’s I’ve owned they got the texture and weight of piano, and the air around the notes spot on, more so than the others I’ve owned, including the Gold GX50’s.

But you’re right about amplification. They could easily handle an amplifier one or two notches above what you might imagine at their price point.

I sold them before I got my Anthem amp, but I would have loved to have listened to the pairing in hindsight.

But I’d love to hear the new Bronzes too. I do generally like the MA house sound.

Jaro

Novice Member
Hi all, I have a newbie question. If you were building a 7.1 A/V system for movies and music using the new Bronze 6G series, would you only use speakers of the same size? Meaning -> Bronze 200, Bronze C150, Bronze FX, Bronze AMS and Bronze W10.

Or can you swap Bronze 200 for Bronze 500? Are there any big pros/cons to do it or not? I'm not speaking about power but more in sense how the whole system "plays" together.

Thank you.

Hoku

Yes, generally you’ll get the best results when the drivers across the entire array are the same

Precisely which speakers you use would depend on room size and layout, particularly how close your seating position is to rear and side walls, and whether or not you intended to wall mount all your surround speakers or whether you intended to have standmounted speakers.

I’d personally avoid the 500’s in all but the biggest of rooms: it’ll just create lots of boomy bass.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Hi all, I have a newbie question. If you were building a 7.1 A/V system for movies and music using the new Bronze 6G series, would you only use speakers of the same size? Meaning -> Bronze 200, Bronze C150, Bronze FX, Bronze AMS and Bronze W10.

Or can you swap Bronze 200 for Bronze 500? Are there any big pros/cons to do it or not? I'm not speaking about power but more in sense how the whole system "plays" together.

Thank you.
From manual to give you some idea:

The ideal distance from the rear wall varies depending on the speaker (see list below), however, for optimal performance they need to be a minimum of 3 feet (91cm) from the side walls.

•Bronze 50 6 - 12 inches (15 - 30 cm)
•Bronze 100 & 200 8 - 14 inches (20 - 36 cm)
•Bronze 500 12 - 24 inches (30 - 61 cm)

I think the Bronze 100 looks very intresting as it has grown in size and with larger driver 6,5" -> 8" similar to Silver 100 model. This will become popular model like Bronze 2s as the price is still competetive. Although the Bronze 50 has grown also, it might suprise many. I had the earlier Bronze 1 as surrounds and tried them as mains with sub, not bad at all!

One thing to keep in mind is the LCR speakers won´t sound exactly same even if picking models with same drivers as the center channel is horizontal MTM, horizontally laid drivers. Compromise, but necessary evil for most without AT-screens.

If movies are important for you, don´t buy the W10 subwoofer! There is better options as no requirements for matching! Every dealer let`s you pick the package without sub, even as bundle deal with receiver!

THX1138UK

I've not head the Monitor Audio Bronze series, but I purchased their Apex series in 2011 (7.1.2 with two subwoofers) for my home cinema, and I have been more than happy. I had one subwoofer fail outside of warranty, but they repaired it for a reasonable fee - everything is still working wonderfully and still sounds amazing.

A friend of mine is looking to install a home cinema, and these are now on the list to consider.

Regards,
James.

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett