NEWS: Monitor Audio launches 2nd generation MASS loudspeaker range

Agree with the above. These look absolutely bobbins and like something like 50 quids worth of pc speakers,or something like a cheap streaming device.

sounds like they won't be ported like the previous ones which means they won't be able to go as low, frequency-wise. I have the 1st gen Masses in my current set-up and they really do sound bigger than they look, partly thanks to the ported design. My AV always detects them as Large speakers and assigns them frequencies of below 60Hz!

And of course they look classy. These new ones look more like computer speakers. No character. People buy this class of speakers mainly due to aestetics and looks so why make them look worse and potentially less capable in the sound department than the previous gen?

Hi I've just the bought the old monitor mass 5.1 system and a Sony STRDN 1080 receiver package from Richer sounds at a really good price very impressed with it looks class don't like the look of the new system looks cheap

They look horrible.....

Is it not also a bit disappointing that there's no dedicated centre - just looks like another satellite. Is that an issue? I'm very new to this so forgive the uninformed question.

Is it not also a bit disappointing that there's no dedicated centre - just looks like another satellite. Is that an issue? I'm very new to this so forgive the uninformed question.

Matching speakers would be superior scenario, look all the cinema/pro cinema speakers and you will find exactly that. But are the tiny new Mass speakers enough for you, that is whole different topic. They are made for small rooms / short listening distances. Old Mass serie has same exact model as center channel, but MA has turned the logo so it can be kept horizontally. But the truth is that speaker sounds better as vertical upright like the main l/r speakers, sadly it can block the picture in that way unless one can wall mount tv higher or do other tricks.

If you want to learn more, read here: Seymour AV | Center Best Practice

Monitor Audio's latest Mass Gen 2 stock is available now by the looks of it. As I'm still working from home, I haven't had a chance to hear them yet

I went to visit my local Richer sounds today to compare the old and the new so to speak.

Decided to put Dark night on as I know there a few good scenes in there to test the system.

I must admit I was really disappointed with the new system it lacked depth right across the board and there was a substantial difference between both systems. The only positive from the new system was the voice was slightly clearer but not much in it.

If you are into action films or need something to show off the depth of sound then the old one wins hands down

I went to visit my local Richer sounds today to compare the old and the new so to speak.

Decided to put Dark night on as I know there a few good scenes in there to test the system.

I must admit I was really disappointed with the new system it lacked depth right across the board and there was a substantial difference between both systems. The only positive from the new system was the voice was slightly clearer but not much in it.

If you are into action films or need something to show off the depth of sound then the old one wins hands down

This is no suprise as MA decided to downsize them good bit and aim to compete with CA Min Minxes and other cube sized speakers which are likely more popular for typical lounges as the speakers will disappear nicely in the decor.

Did they offer you good deal from the old line? Which way are you leaning now?

This is no suprise as MA decided to downsize them good bit and aim to compete with CA Min Minxes and other cube sized speakers which are likely more popular for typical lounges as the speakers will disappear nicely in the decor.

Did they offer you good deal from the old line? Which way are you leaning now?

I had already purchased the old set up a day before the announcement of the second generation. I contacted local Richer sounds and they were happy for me to keep them boxed until the release of the new system for me to compare.

Fantastic customer service fair play.

I had already purchased the old set up a day before the announcement of the second generation. I contacted local Richer sounds and they were happy for me to keep them boxed until the release of the new system for me to compare.

Fantastic customer service fair play.

You mentioned about the voice being clearer on the new model. Someone talked about the old center channel it didn`t sound as clear or something and i said to try it vertical upright. It sounded better that way, so if you have space to keep it like that = same as your L/R, cause that is the right way to have it! Horizontal is more compromise. And naturally placed as high as possible to seated ear height, small changes in height and angling will make differences! Also play with crossovers bit (80-100hz) as different reviewers and owners have prefered slightly different settings as the rooms aren´t same. Enjoy! :smashin:

Bumpety bump . . .

I'm considering 5 of these to partner with a Paradigm Seismic 110, but I have yet to listen to them.

Any feedback from owners would be great. :)

For use in a small'ish room.

I'd also appreciate any alternative suggestions though they must be small satellites.

Bumpety bump . . .

I'm considering 5 of these to partner with a Paradigm Seismic 110, but I have yet to listen to them.

Any feedback from owners would be great. :)

For use in a small'ish room.

I'd also appreciate any alternative suggestions though they must be small satellites.
As no one has answered you, can I ask what percentage you are going to listen to music vs cinema as this could play a factor. Cinema wise, the Mass 2nd Gen are very accomplished but do need a woofer to bring the best out of them. With music, the speakers are small, but depending upon the woofer and your configuration, combining the woofer with the front stereo pair will produce a present 2.1 sound stage, but it will not be like using a pair for floorstands as the sub/sat rules will apply. If the woofer has an independently controlled high-level input, then you can expect to better pair the subwoofer and speakers for this one area, which will then deliver a more realistic musical performance with the limiting factor being detail due to the limitations of the tweeter and driver, but their is no reason as to why it wouldn't match the bronze floorstands if done right

For cinema, once the crossover has been nailed, the why the speakers produce sound is one of the better sub/sat configurations and will be further bettered by the woofer you are looking to use. As all the speakers are the same size, the room is very well balanced to. Now like the musical side, if you are expecting big big performance levels, you are looking at the wrong price point and you should be looking at the Radius or Apex range, but it should deliver somewhere near to the level of Monitor Audio's Bronze speakers

Hope that helps :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom