NEWS: Mission unveils re-engineered 770 speakers

Had the absolute pleasure of having these in the shop today. They’re a very revealing set of speakers - they have the beautiful warmth that you’d expect from the design but beautiful, forward detail too.

There will be some lucky owners with these in their homes from April but as per the announcement, we’ve been told stock is limited and thus to get your orders in promptly.

A69D1E1C-7D7A-4414-9C17-762AA3759341.jpeg

I know sound is the ultimate measure of a speaker but it's a shame about that logo across the front. Really spoils the look of them.

Has these back in the day. Do they come with the old "foam" speaker grilles too?

I know sound is the ultimate measure of a speaker but it's a shame about that logo across the front. Really spoils the look of them.
Yes, that would be a hard no from my wife.

Had the absolute pleasure of having these in the shop today. They’re a very revealing set of speakers - they have the beautiful warmth that you’d expect from the design but beautiful, forward detail too.

There will be some lucky owners with these in their homes from April but as per the announcement, we’ve been told stock is limited and thus to get your orders in promptly.

View attachment 1669423
At 3.5k they will have stiff opposition - how did they compare?

I will always have a soft spot for mission having owned the 737R/770F/780 Argonauts - incredibly detailed with clean bass

I hope the new 770 is a raving success as it might tempt them in to reintroduce the Bigger Brother….

I will always have a soft spot for mission having owned the 737R/770F/780 Argonauts - incredibly detailed with clean bass

I hope the new 770 is a raving success as it might tempt them in to reintroduce the Bigger Brother….
Wonder why £3.5k? Is that the price being hand built, components or retooling?

Wonder why £3.5k? Is that the price being hand built, components or retooling?
Probably but hopefully mindful of the competition at that price ensuring that they sound top notch

Yes, that would be a hard no from my wife.

Randomly, my wife (who doesn't like "big boxes") said she actually quite liked these.
With the walnut being present in our decor (a 70's retro sideboard more recently!) she liked the walnut/white contrast and didn't mind so much the logo. I was very surprised by that! :D

I guess it's £3.5k of a heritage style speaker as it'd be a challenge to compare them to something such as the Rubicon 6 which I had playing when these arrived.

You'd need to do a listening session back to back with say the Spendor Classic 3/1 or some Klipsch Heritage to start to listen to what this classic-style cabinet sounds like.

I'll be honest: they were a lot livelier than I though. Bass (which I always use as a reference) was very well controlled over other classic speakers I have in the store. The sound was incredibly forward too - It was "at you" without being harsh or in your face. Lower listening levels did well - of course the bass drivers want energy so they became softer and more background orientated but at say 75 - 82dB they were detailed, crisp, sharp, fast paced and well controlled.

Seal (Killer) - the acoustic version was beautifully presented with the xylophone giving this wonderful, wide 3d sound (with detail such as the wood on the instrument being heard) but voice was textured, dead centre with the wider instruments being well distributed.

They do feel (weight) and sound like a higher end speaker than perhaps the vintage product. A lot of the design work being the driver and the cabinet has been well executed. Worth a listen if you're on the fence with the styling.

I wonder how they compare to the cheaper klh5s or the lintons..

The new Mission 770's would need to have far superior sound quality to the early pair I owned back in the day (unofficially the Mk1 version) to justify a £3.5k cost. I also heard the official Mk2 version that followed. The Mk2, which looked very similar to the Mk1, had a bass/mid driver with a 1.5" voice-coil whereas the Mk1 made do with a 1" voice-coil (which probably explains why I knackered four Mission 770 bass/mid drivers!).

The Mk2 had a forward upper midrange with lean, tight bass (by ported model standards) whereas the Mk1 had a lovely clear midrange - though it was recessed - and had a strong, rather flabby bass. I never heard the 770 Freedom that followed.

It is said that the designer, Farad Azima, frequently tinkered with the speaker when in production so there were actually several different versions on the market that were never officially recognised by Mission as being any different.

Would be interesting to hear the new variant, if just for old times sake.

I actually like the look of them, logo included. Perhaps because I had many pairs of Mission speakers in my early days of proper hifi. Brings back happy memories.

I actually like the look of them, logo included. Perhaps because I had many pairs of Mission speakers in my early days of proper hifi. Brings back happy memories.
Me too. I had the 700's.
Of course the looks will divide opinion:

Still got a pair of the originals doing a role of surround in second system.

Are these speakers really £3.5K? not a typo and should be £350 a pair or each?

I think these would make a great a great investment if they are limited to a set number of production but if they really are £3.5K then theres plenty of choice for less money.

^ production is around 50 per month globally. They’ll be pretty hard to get hands on is what we’ve been told.

Plenty of choice for less, plenty above it too.

The Lintons are in a different, lower league.
Sold plenty of them - they’re big, they’re fun but they can also be a little lethargic/sluggish when you want them to stand up and firm up!

They’re not for everyone - but like I always say….try and grab a listen to as much as you can, when you can. You never know - you may be pleasantly surprised (or not!).

Due to being UK built.....and because they know they can, due to the demand for old classics.
Though, as others have said, there's plenty of competition at the price (and lower).
I'm not sure being UK built makes them so expensive as there are other very good UK built speakers, eg Spendor A line and other hand built speakers (that are not mass produced in China), e.g. Dali opticon and upwards, that cost a lot less.

These have to be really special and sound amazing to live up to their big price tag.

^ production is around 50 per month globally. They’ll be pretty hard to get hands on is what we’ve been told.

Plenty of choice for less, plenty above it too.

The Lintons are in a different, lower league.
Sold plenty of them - they’re big, they’re fun but they can also be a little lethargic/sluggish when you want them to stand up and firm up!

They’re not for everyone - but like I always say….try and grab a listen to as much as you can, when you can. You never know - you may be pleasantly surprised (or not!).
So what speakers would be competition?

Harbeths? Spendor classic line?

Memories! I had the 737R as my first proper speakers as part of one of the old Sevenoaks Magic Matrix system in the late 1980’s! (With a Sansui AUG30x and one of the early Philips CD players).

I'm not sure being UK built makes them so expensive as there are other very good UK built speakers, eg Spendor A line and other hand built speakers (that are not mass produced in China), e.g. Dali opticon and upwards, that cost a lot less.

These have to be really special and sound amazing to live up to their big price tag.
Dali is Danish.. some of their lower end lines are made in China and assembled in Denmark. .

My Dali's were not built in China, they came from Denmark, and the Opticons are a lot better than my set so I cannot imagine they are from china.

Big speakers.
I like big speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom