NEWS: Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Just a thought - maybe a better online FPS will be made by Sony (or whoever)? 🤔
Better FPS games exist. It’s about brand exposure. Call of duty regardless of how bad it is sells every year. In a market who will seemingly just buy it regardless.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
As long as Modern Warfare 2 Still comes out this year i dont care

Nothing will affect the schedule for the next two CoD releases I suspect. The deal won't be finalised until 2023.

I've played nothing but CoD for the past sixteen years (aside from a bit of Red Dead here and there). I've been hooked since CoD 3.

This could be huge for the future of gaming. Signalling the potential move to subscription services (such as Game Pass).

I don't envisage for a second it'll go exclusive. Why half your potential revenue? Okay, we may get exclusive 'windowed' DLC content back on Xbox. Which is fine by me :)

CoD needs a shake-up. Do away with the annual release cycle and try to focus on quality rather than quantity. For me Vanguard felt like the final straw, I was considering calling it a day with CoD, but now I'm curious what the future will hold.

I fear for Vanguard. It is such a botched mess. 'Fixes' seem to be causing even more issues. It is now officially a quarter of the way through its life cycle. Especially if the release of MW'II' is being bought forward a month.

But, if CoD: WWII has taught us anything, there can be life after death...

Last edited:

xSLYx

Just a thought - maybe a better online FPS will be made by Sony (or whoever)? 🤔
Guarantee sony will start producing more ip's, they've already built up theirs from scratch with great success and won't want to be held hostage by Microsoft.
And they've already got bluepoint games (demon souls remake) which is a start.

GadgetObsessed

I already own a PS5 but have wanted to try a couple of Microsoft exclusives - Halo and Forza Horizon. So I bought a 3 month game pass on my PC (4 years old with a 1070 GPU) for £15 and have been really impressed with the results. As a result a couple of friends with PCs have tried it too.

Having CoD as a part of Game Pass could really boost it's popularity. Sony's equivalent is way behind in terms of content (games) and scope (platforms that can be used). Although, I see that some big hitting PS exclusives, such as God of War, are now coming to the PC.

Sony may be slightly ahead in console sales but Game Pass can be used on PCs, laptops, etc. and that reaches a much larger audience,.

Kingchin

Let’s say Sony and Nintendo still resist. How many games will they lose how much of the publisher and development market do they lose before they effectively have to say yes to it? That’s the business move here.
The Switch caters to a different demographic. Nintendo aren't financially in dire straights, they don't need or want Xbox Game Pass! Nintendo are already doing very well in hardware and games sales. Plus there lucrative Deals with Universal Super Nintendo Theme Parks, movie deals Pokemon, upcoming Super Mario film etc. Both Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo have said Game Pass won't be be coming to the Switch & PS5 -
Picsart_22-01-22_13-04-22-989.jpg

Picsart_22-01-22_13-04-53-360.jpg

It's never going to happen pal 👍🏾

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
The Switch caters to a different demographic. Nintendo aren't financially in dire straights, they don't need or want Xbox Game Pass! Nintendo are already doing very well in hardware and games sales. Plus there lucrative Deals with Universal Super Nintendo Theme Parks, movie deals Pokemon, upcoming Super Mario film etc. Both Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo have said Game Pass won't be be coming to the Switch & PS5 -
View attachment 1641168
View attachment 1641169

It's never going to happen pal 👍🏾
I’m not as convinced. I think as gamepass moves to capture more and more games. And bigger brands. I don’t see a huge downside for Nintendo especially. Get the latest call of duty on the switch. Yes via streaming. But they take a cut of the gamepass money. I don’t think it massively competes with what they do either.

Sony probably more resistant. We will see.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Mobile Phones, TVs, Tablets - thats where they will want to go with game pass. The numbers are so much bigger than switch users.
As a few journalists have pointed out that is true. But switch is a gaming device already and is owned by people who want to play games and have usually got their payment details linked in.

It’s a bigger step to persuade an iPhone user to get gamepass. A switch user…much smaller jump.

Kingchin

As a few journalists have pointed out that is true. But switch is a gaming device already and is owned by people who want to play games and have usually got their payment details linked in.

It’s a bigger step to persuade an iPhone user to get gamepass. A switch user…much smaller jump.
I'm a Switch owner and I wouldn't get Game Pass if it came to the Switch (even though it won't be coming) if I wanted to play Xbox games I would just buy a Xbox console.

And everyone I know with a switch family and friends wouldn't subscribe use Game Pass on the Switch. Plus the people I know with Sony consoles wouldn't use it.

Everyone has a smartphone these days. As previously said by another forum member smartphone, television owners will be targeted my Microsoft.

Nintendo and Sony don't want Game Pass on their consoles and it won't be coming to them.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I'm a Switch owner and I wouldn't get Game Pass if it came to the Switch (even though it won't be coming) if I wanted to play Xbox games I would just buy a Xbox console.

And everyone I know with a switch family and friends wouldn't subscribe use Game Pass on the Switch. Plus the people I know with Sony consoles wouldn't use it.

Everyone has a smartphone these days. As previously said by another forum member smartphone, television owners will be targeted my Microsoft.

Nintendo and Sony don't want Game Pass on their consoles and it won't be coming to them.
I'd happily use GamePass on my Switch or PS5. You do realise that game pass has more NON Microsoft games on there than actual Microsoft games. So you're not just buying it to play Microsoft games, you're buying it to play a load of games that you may of been buying on the Switch or PS5 anyway.

iwb100

Distinguished Member

I have a switch and would kill for gamepass on it.

And I suspect a decent chunk of the audience would too.

Kingchin

I'd happily use GamePass on my Switch or PS5. You do realise that game pass has more NON Microsoft games on there than actual Microsoft games. So you're not just buying it to play Microsoft games, you're buying it to play a load of games that you may of been buying on the Switch or PS5 anyway.
I'm well aware of that, why do you think I said if I wanted to play Xbox games I would buy a Xbox console. I didn't say if I wanted to play Microsoft Xbox games.

Anyway Microsoft have already said both Nintendo and Sony won't allow Game Pass on their consoles. So it's a non story irrelevant, just made up stories people saying it will come to the Switch and PS5.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I'm well aware of that, why do you think I said if I wanted to play Xbox games I would buy a Xbox console. I didn't say if I wanted to play Microsoft Xbox games.

Anyway Microsoft have already said both Nintendo and Sony won't allow Game Pass on their consoles. So it's a non story irrelevant, just made up stories people saying it will come to the Switch and PS5.
Don't think you understand what I was saying.

I would want Gamepass on my PS5 and Switch because it could and would save me money. For example I wont have to buy the Hitman series, because its on Gamepass. Lets say I was looking to play Mass Effect Trilogy, instead of forking out £50 on my PS5, I can get them on Gamepass. Neither of them are Xbox/Microsoft games. You'd be saving yourself some money in not having to buy those games for your system as you will get them through GamePassand theres a tonne of other games on there. Not just Xbox/Microsoft games.

iwb100

Distinguished Member

I would want Gamepass on my PS5 and Switch because it could and would save me money. For example I wont have to buy the Hitman series, because its on Gamepass. Lets say I was looking to play Mass Effect Trilogy, instead of forking out £50 on my PS5, I can get them on Gamepass. Neither of them are Xbox/Microsoft games. You'd be saving yourself some money in not having to buy those games for your system as you will get them through GamePassand theres a tonne of other games on there. Not just Xbox/Microsoft games.
I think we are talking streaming only though. But I’d be happy with that on switch. Be ideal for it.

Kingchin

Your the one who misread what I had wrote before. I said if I wanted to play Xbox games then I would buy a Xbox console. I never said
Game Pass just has Microsoft games lol.

And I never said anything about your preference of why you would want to use Game Pass on your Switch or PS5. So nothing to understand.

Microsoft have said both Sony and Nintendo won't allow Game Pass on their consoles. So it's not coming whether you want it to or not.

PC, tv, smartphones is there for you and other people who do want Game Pass.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Gamepass on Switch? Call of Duty on Switch??? :rotfl:

I mean COD is available Android, iOS, Xbox, Playstation and PC. It's hilarious to think the target audience of Nintendo actually want to play COD.

If we start seeing Gamepass on every single device then Sony and Nintendo might as well call it a day. It'll be the same as Netflix having the rights or owning the rights to every single film studio there is.

PC1975

Distinguished Member
So it's a non story irrelevant, just made up stories people saying it will come to the Switch and PS5
It's other peoples opinions in a discussion and in that context every bit as relevant as yours, mine or anyone elses. You come across as wanting it not to come to Playstation or Switch which is actually the stance I have too. I'm opposed to eventually having no other option than to get your gaming from and relinquishing control to subscription based services which would hugely limit consumer choice and power.
It's hilarious to think the target audience of Nintendo actually want to play COD
They play Witcher, Doom, Wolfenstein and other high profile ports that've come across from Playstation and Xbox. I see no reason why COD wouldn't succeed on Switch.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom