NEWS: McIntosh launches MCD85 SACD/CD player

gibbsy

Brilliant to see another top line manufacturer investing in SACD and CD playback. Still £1000 under the cost of a Marantz SA-10. But could you live with those looks. I did find a photograph of the designer admiring his work.

7ed0eba03d10a96e74e6ce97b5224c2f--open-all-hours-comedy-tv.jpg

Costello

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but £5000 for a CD player that looks like a Dualit toaster seems extreme.
1613677642469.jpeg

I’m sure it sounds superb but this seems like a statement product.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
More like an 8 track imo...

daddy999

I’m sure it sounds amazing, but the system that it connects too would need similar high end and at that level, any SACD/CD player over £1000 would sound great. Oh, and it would probably look better because this thing is one ugly mother....

Mister_Tad

Personal taste and all, but I've always though the general McIntosh aesthetic was aimed at people who spend way too long telling visitors that don't care about hifi, about their hifi.

This has done nothing to change my mind.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Would get a Dualit toaster into the house but that CD player - not a hope. They look like they were designed by a three year old
1613736956210.png

Slinkywizard

Can I use it to play Astro Wars?

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
We got a three slice DAC (with an optional muffin holder). As a toaster though I'm pretty unimpressed with it.

I'd love that McIntosh CD player. I've admired their stuff from afar for years.

Slinkywizard

41V4ms-0iEL._AC_SY355_.jpg

NifkinFZ6

I've never understood big digital sources (big CD Players, big streamers): there's no need for a transport and/or a DAC to take up that much room to sound good. Stuff like this Mac is pride-of-ownership stuff, if you like that sort of look

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Brilliant to see another top line manufacturer investing in SACD and CD playback. Still £1000 under the cost of a Marantz SA-10. But could you live with those looks. I did find a photograph of the designer admiring his work.

View attachment 1462736
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love McIntosh and their looks.

But this is PMSL funny

DannyBoy73

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom