NEWS: Marshall Earphones and Speakers: Price and Availability

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Aaron Macarthy Beards

Aaron Macarthy Beards
      Editorial Contributor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +47
    2. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +158
      I have had a good few demos of the predecessor Woburn I (Bluetooth) , but not the Woburn II (Multi-Room ). I quite like the sound of the Woburn I. They are both active speakers, both also have bass and treble controls. Worth noting that the older Woburn does not support AirPlay. The new one , at the time of writing , does support AirPlay , but not AirPlay 2.

I have noticed that there are some other differences in specification. The older Woburn actually has a greater frequency range according to pdf specs , 35-22000 Hz, vs 46-20000 Hz of the newer one. The newer one has 4 amplifiers , compared to 3 amplifiers in the older one.

The continuous power output of the new one is 140 W RMS vs. 80 W RMS of the older one.

The Woburn I is already loud enough for me. It has the paper advantage of a wider frequency range. I would like to demo the Woburn 2 to hear which has the real world advantage in purely audio terms comparing like for like eg. using a CD player connected via toslink to each. The newer Marshall speakers support Multi-Room function but I gather they work around their lack of Aiplay 2 functionality by using their own proprietary app. You can also stream Spotify directly to the newer Marshall speakers.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018