NEWS: Marantz unveils PM7000N streaming amplifier

Some interesting kit options appearing now for this segment of the market hopefully its going to benefit the consumer as more companies offer one box solution. Demand for this sort of product looks only set to increase.

To expensive.
Cambridge Audio. AXR100.
At £449.00 no contest.

It does seem a tad expensive, even given its wide range of useful, modern necessities.

There are a good few competitors.

I think this will, or should be, judged on its speaker driving ability at that price.

I hope it can dig deep into the low Ohm/big current barrel.

Last edited:
To expensive.
Cambridge Audio. AXR100.
At £449.00 no contest.

As usual for CA I’m sure the AXR is an excellent, powerful amp/dac/Bluetooth machine.

But it’s not in the same product category as the Marantz.

With the CA you’d have to add a very well spec’d streamer. Which defeats the purpose of the category the PM7000N sits in.

Also, it may not need the big current for expensive standmounts as it has a variable roll off facility for the sub out...

Intriguing indeed.

I have a Yamaha RN602 with Q Acoustic Concept 20s. I've got an upgrade itch, and I think an amp upgrade might do the trick. This product interests me as a possible replacement for the Yamaha. I'm wondering if separate amp and network player might be a better option. Looking forward to some reviews.

I’d expect it to be a sideways step from the Yamaha.

If I was you and I was spending cash, I’d replace the speakersfirst.

I have a Yamaha RN602 with Q Acoustic Concept 20s. I've got an upgrade itch, and I think an amp upgrade might do the trick.

Andy - How did the upgrade progress, also have the RN602 and thinking possible upgrade at the moment...

The two box M / NA 6006 is another option which saves a few £ against the PM7000N

Andy - How did the upgrade progress, also have the RN602 and thinking possible upgrade at the moment...

Funny you should ask that question, as I've had a PM7000N on demo at home since yesterday.

I am impressed. It certainly is an upgrade over the Yamaha. I wanted and was hoping for more defined bass, better dynamics, more detail and a wider soundstage (all the HiFi cliches, :D). That is exactly what I'm hearing. I always thought the RN602 was quite good, but lacking something. This amp sounds clearer, the bass is more pronounced, but not overpowering or boomy. I am hearing more details in the music (I mostly listen to Prog Rock, but also Internet radio and my TV is routed through the optical in). The soundstage has certainly opened up, it just sounds "more stereo".

A couple of slightly negative points. I prefer the Yamaha MusicCast app over the HEOS app. HEOS isn't bad, and so far its been 100% stable (unlike the related app I used to use on a Denon Piccolo, that was almost useless). The app seems just a little less responsive than MusicCast on my Moto G7, and the navigation around the app is a bit fiddly. Having said that, I`ve not properly investigated if I'm using it correctly, there may be a few shortcuts I haven't found yet. Also, the shop have given the remote control for a PM6006, so some of remote functions can't be tested (Display Dimming etc).

I was considering pairing an external streamer (Allo DigiOne Signature) with something like an Audiolab 6000A. I demo'd both the PM7000N and a Bluesound Node 2i feeding a 6000A hooked up to QA 3020is. I was a bit disappointed with the 6000A (tried both the analogue and digital outputs from the Node), so I walked away with the Marantz.

So having lived with it for a few hours, I can say that it is better than the Yamaha (as expected). Is it worth spending £999 for that improvement ? I think so, and I think I'll be keeping it. What will probably convince me is when I hook the Yamaha back up in a few hours, I'm expecting to really notice how much better the PM7000N is.

This hobby can drive you nuts, as there's always the thought "could I do better for the money ?", and that's exactly what's in the back of my mind at the moment. However, it's impossible to try every different combination of kit. What I do know is that the PM7000N connected to QA Concept 20s sounds good to my ears.

Update : The Yamaha is back in place. It didn't sound that much different at first, but I soon noticed that the bass was lacking some of the clarity and power that the Marantz delivers. Also there's a noticeable narrowing of the soundstage. So the extra ~£650 is delivering noticeable improvements in audio quality. I'm keeping the PM7000N.

Last edited:
It's good to see more competition in the market for streaming amps. I have the RN602 and think it's a great piece of kit in terms of connectivity and features. Whilst I'm more than happy with the quality of the audio I get, I do sometimes think that I could get more from my Monitor Audio floorstanders.

The Marantz is more than double the price I paid for the Yamaha but it is a tempting upgrade to think about.

[QUOTE="toon10, post: 27623698, member: 780943"
The Marantz is more than double the price I paid for the Yamaha but it is a tempting upgrade to think about.
[/QUOTE]

Me too, Andy's comments are positive, I was siding with an earlier poster who's posts are very knowledgeable that it was a "sideways" upgrade. I'll probably stay safe and at most buy some new speakers in the new year and stick with the RN602 for 2020 as in fairness I've not given it as much use as I'd like since setting up...but you never know :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom