NEWS: Marantz launches MODEL 30 amplifier and SACD 30n Network CD player

Loving the new design. I sign post for how future mainstream products are going to look.

Loving the new design. I sign post for how future mainstream products are going to look.
Agreed. The current house look is starting to seem a but tired.

I have read this article twice and I guess the amplifier is 30 watts per channel as A.V. Forums have chosen to not inform us.

Just gone online to get these details,
"100wpc into 8 Ohms, 200wpc into 4 Ohms and 0.07% THD with both channels driven / continuous power".

Great power figures. Nice to see Marantz sticking with SACD. Love the looks.

Here's the inside of the amp if anyone is interested.
Screenshot_20200901-154944_Chrome.jpg

Beautiful new pieces of audio heaven from Marantz. I have the Marantz PM14-S1 SE/SA14-S1 SE with the Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S2's and the combination just sounds amazing. I really like the Marantz Reference range of amplifiers/cd players. Can't wait to read a review of these new units 🙂

Just gone online to get these details,
"100wpc into 8 Ohms, 200wpc into 4 Ohms and 0.07% THD with both channels driven / continuous power".
Wow. No cheat watts! But design pics may fool me in real life, but I don’t like the look! It looks a bit ‘cheap’ compared too other chassis designs they used on the PM11-S3. Edit, the chassis design is fine, but I don’t like sides on on each corners. Anyone know price for both amp.cdSACD?

Last edited:
Anyone know price for both amp.cdSACD?

It's right at the end of the news item:

In a choice of black or silver-gold finishes, the MODEL 30 Integrated Amplifier and SACD 30n Network Audio Streamer & CD player will be available in early September at authorized Marantz retailers, both at a cost of £2700 / €3000.

I really do hope they look better in flesh :zonked:

I agree, it is. It's just a shame their cheapest one is now £2700. If my SA8005 ever goes pop I think I'll have to look elsewhere.
I would say look at the Denon DCD 1600 NE. I also have the sa8005 but not too long ago bought a Denon DCD 2500 NE. Sadly the sa8005 is now gathering dust. Denon have certainly stole a march on Marantz as far as affordable SACD players is concerned.

Yes, Marantz usually have good sound all the way from their budget range. But I don’t like the side corners. Also the controls looks odd, very odd indeed, compared too the older models, like the PM14-S1. Heck, my PM8006 looks nicer then that.

I think they look really great, and that’s a pre-requisite for me for any piece of HiFi I buy. However I think I’m disappointed to see Class D. I find Class D to be somewhat of a fad - or at least that it goes through current trends that is. So a while back it all seemed to be about ICE power amp modules being the best thing since sliced bread, and more latterly from what I’ve seen it’s become HypeX Ncore modules (as used here). But it looks now that Purifi based amps are going to be the new Class D champions to have from this point on - so it almost feels like these Model 30’s are somewhat old hat before they‘ve even been released!
I am however pleased to see that a lot of obvious effort has gone in by having the separate power supply sections, and I’d certainly be keen to demo one (esp due to looks!), but I’m not sure Class D is a game I want to buy into (yet at least). I think I’d feel more comfortable sticking that money into an ‘old’ A/B design as it won‘t suffer and depreciate like the tech race that is Class D currently.

I tend do agree with you TB Rich. But I do think Classe D amplifiers with switch mode transistors can work with warm sounding speakers. It’s all about synergy. I’ve heard the NAD M10 though, it did not sound good! No midrange that is a bit fat. Making voices sound sweet, epically female vocalist. No rolled of treble. No dynamic bass, but a tad fat. That’s the kind sound I like my self. So in short warm sound. The M10 on the other hand had blacker background then AB amplifiers. It also sounded less stressed when pushed loud. But still if I’d bought it, I’d have too probably matched with some Spendor speakers.

But I do think Classe D amplifiers with switch mode transistors can work with warm sounding speakers

I’m not trying to pass comment in anyway as to saying there is a Class D ‘sound’, what I’m saying that I find off-putting with Class D is that it’s the almost tech race that Class D seems to be in that I find ultimately puts me off a product using that topology - currently at least.
I would liken it very much to what we have seen with DACs, seemingly every few months the next ESS or AKM chip comes out which touts the best this and lowest that - and I just don’t think I want when I’m buying a straight 2ch stereo amp.
On the subject of DACs then I personally like this amp not having one built in, to me that’s a selling point because it immediately removes the single biggest thing from dating the amp. And so it’s a twisted sense of irony that its Class D topology however likely will..! and it is precisely for that reason which I find ‘potential’ disappointment in.

Of course it’s a disappointment that might be rendered moot if it however sounds amazing and you can be disciplined to ignore the inevitable successive flavour-of-the-month Class D modules to come... it’s one I’d like to put on a short list for sure.

Yes, I see your point. The irony is also this is this real Class D, like some NAD models are not. Only Lyngdorf are fully digital which then sends sound too the speakers. The only digital amplifier I’m perhaps considering is the 1120 from Lyngdorf. One: It has build Room Perfect eq. Two: You can voice your sound, hence it’s called voicing. So if you want a bit more treble, you can get that. The last time I’ve heard Lyngdorf was the bigger brother to the 1120. It sounded bloody awful! I don’t know if Room Perfect was on though. A bit of topic from the Marantz tread though.

Two: You can voice your sound, hence it’s called voicing.

Think I’m just a bit old school, the thought of doing sort of thing that just really doesn’t appeal! I spent a decent bit on speakers which sound great to me and have the right balance of sound I was after, to start messing with the signal to change that......hmm well it just sounds like the modern equivalent to a graphic equaliser!
I’d curious to see what RoomPerfect could do on the 2170, but I’m not interested in voicing and such. I guess it’s ’nice’ to have, but it doesn’t interest me. - I’d have liked a Yamaha AS1100 if it would have fitted my unit that’s what I’d have now, simple, classic, and will still be that way in 2 decades :)

I think they look really great, and that’s a pre-requisite for me for any piece of HiFi I buy. However I think I’m disappointed to see Class D. I find Class D to be somewhat of a fad - or at least that it goes through current trends that is. So a while back it all seemed to be about ICE power amp modules being the best thing since sliced bread, and more latterly from what I’ve seen it’s become HypeX Ncore modules (as used here). But it looks now that Purifi based amps are going to be the new Class D champions to have from this point on - so it almost feels like these Model 30’s are somewhat old hat before they‘ve even been released!
I am however pleased to see that a lot of obvious effort has gone in by having the separate power supply sections, and I’d certainly be keen to demo one (esp due to looks!), but I’m not sure Class D is a game I want to buy into (yet at least). I think I’d feel more comfortable sticking that money into an ‘old’ A/B design as it won‘t suffer and depreciate like the tech race that is Class D currently.
3 or 4 years ago more and more people started jumping on the class D bandwagon. But it is definitely not a fad as sales of class D amplifiers are steadily increasing every year. I wouldn't get caught up too much on whether it's Ice, Hypex, Purifi etc, if it's a decent chip the implementation is more important.

Class D has now reached the point where the best class D amps are as good as the best class A & class AB amps. I fully expect class D to overtake the rest in the next few years. Personally I think the GaN based class D amplifiers will be a real game changer once the prices drop to reasonable levels.

I tend do agree with you TB Rich. But I do think Classe D amplifiers with switch mode transistors can work with warm sounding speakers. It’s all about synergy. I’ve heard the NAD M10 though, it did not sound good! No midrange that is a bit fat. Making voices sound sweet, epically female vocalist. No rolled of treble. No dynamic bass, but a tad fat. That’s the kind sound I like my self. So in short warm sound. The M10 on the other hand had blacker background then AB amplifiers. It also sounded less stressed when pushed loud. But still if I’d bought it, I’d have too probably matched with some Spendor speakers.
Some people prefer a warmer sound. I prefer a accurate realistic sound with nothing added or taken away from the recording. Luckily lot's of choices for consumers, speakers and amplifiers to tailor their sound signature preferences.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom