NEWS: Marantz launches Melody X music system

Intriguing idea having 4 channels of amplification and 2 zones.

Intriguing idea having 4 channels of amplification and 2 zones.
The previous model could bi-amp so it looks like they have just added more software features to an existing hardware feature.

On the 611 the audio out was variable which was great for active speakers, is this the same ?

It is.

Stereo preouts and a sub out.

Which is about what I’d use it for.

The 55W power consumption make a bit of a joke of its quoted outputs; and it’ll have no current reserve to speak of.

The original £629 is a bit steep for a preamp though.

Last edited:
It is.

Stereo preouts and a sub out.

Which is about what I’d use it for.

The 55W power consumption make a bit of a joke of its quoted outputs; and it’ll have no current reserve to speak of.

The original £629 is a bit steep for a preamp though.
I'm sure in time it'll be available as a non speaker unit less expensive. Or maybe the 611 will drop to 99 quid :)

Why so much more than the 611??
£380 Vs £630 seems very steep!

Unless that’s the ‘with speakers’ price?

If not it’s a hell of a price ramp for next to no gain...

Thats the price just for the base unit - no speakers. They are obviously trying to recover the costs of all that new software.

Retail is always high at launch before settling down. IIRC the MCR611 was in the region of £500 when launched. In that context it doesn't seem bad at all given the addition of voice control & HEOS multi-room.

I can't see anything to suggest it can do multi zone. It's just got an output stage that can be configured as 2 x 60W in bridged mode or 4 x 30W.

I can't see anything to suggest it can do multi zone.
Should have gone to Specsavers. ;)

HEOS compatible speakers and receivers can be added so that each room can be bought on board to create a multi-room setup which is controlled via the HEOS app for iOS and Android. A single song can be played throughout or each room’s music can be individually tailored for the occupants.

i'm very intrigued by this. would allow me to downsize as the subtext says
i still have a CD collection but now have a NAS with mp3 collection on it
i'd consider sitting this under the TV and get some bookshelf speakers or maybe some HEOS speakers

Has anybody tested it or auditioned it? I can't decide between this Mcr 612 and the new Denon Ceol n10. I have been told they sound very similar and share the same features...The marantz can play dsd files up to 5.6mhz (the denon no further than dsd 64 @2.8mhz) but that's not much of a deal breaker...my music library is 80% 16 bit flac with just one dsd album i have downloaded for fun (it takes nearly 2gb of space....)

I bought this in the end, it's driving some Monitor Audio Bronze 5s and is also hooked up to the TV so both it and the speakers are in use every day with the TV/Switch/PS4/WDTVLiveHub as well as playing music.

I was specifically looking to simplify things for the family so having an all in one solution that ticked all the boxes we needed has made my life easier!

Loving the simplicity it offers with not only the Heos app, but also the integration with Alexa, Harmony (though this specific model was not on Harmony's databse when I put it in place) etc.

It's now around the £460 mark which is the price point I bit at, I thought the original £630ish too rich for my liking.

Very pleased with the purchase and usage :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom