NEWS: Marantz announces AV7706 8K AV surround pre-amplifier

Hopefully when tested doesn't have some issues as other marantz av pres

Disappointed they haven’t significantly upgraded the DACs and dropped the legacy connectivity.

Yeah get rid of composite and component, remove analogue video section should mean less noise in the chassis

Disappointed they haven’t significantly upgraded the DACs and dropped the legacy connectivity.
Yeah, the legacy connectivity is just absurd in 2020!
Also, only 11.2 processing is crap in a brand new £2,200 processor, a £749 Denon 3600 can do that perfectly well.

No mention of DTS pro .would i hear see a significant upgrade from my 7012 and MM7055?

Yeah, the legacy connectivity is just absurd in 2020!
Also, only 11.2 processing is crap in a brand new £2,200 processor, a £749 Denon 3600 can do that perfectly well.

11.2 is ok as the 7706 is step down from the flagship which I guess will be 16 channel when released. I think there is still a market for less than 16 channels and Marantz have wasted that with this release. I think they could have upped the price slightly and thrown in much better dacs and it would have been a great entry level processor. Don’t see why anyone would want this? You’d buy 2nd hand Anthem AVM60 if you wanted a decent processor at that price or a new Denon if you wanted ‘8K’

I have a soft spot for Marantz and I’m really disappointed by this release.

No mention of DTS pro .would i hear see a significant upgrade from my 7012 and MM7055?

I would severely doubt it, hence my frustration with this release.

What issues ??

A whole load of things that are inaudible to dogs and bats in the name of “science”

I would severely doubt it, hence my frustration with this release.

A whole load of things that are inaudible to dogs and bats in the name of “science”

Marantz high friends roll off is certainly not acceptable. I'd expect it to be flat to 20khz..

I'll wait for the next iteration - there's nothing significant here thay makes me want to upgrade from my AV7705 - and I waited 15 years to upgrade to that lol.

I'll wait for the next iteration - there's nothing significant here thay makes me want to upgrade from my AV7705 - and I waited 15 years to upgrade to that lol.

Yeah I'd rather have clearance 7704/7705..I do have hdmi 2.1 TV but won't be gaming so 4k at 60hz is fine

Styling needs a refresh aswell, the 8015 would be a better buy, but I think the move to Denon or Yamaha depending what their flagship will be.

I actually am considering this with a Rotel instead of the SR7015 I have on order (because of the bad measurements). This one doesn't have the newer HDAMs and DAC of the SR8015?

I actually am considering this with a Rotel instead of the SR7015 I have on order (because of the bad measurements). This one doesn't have the newer HDAMs and DAC of the SR8015?
Please don't make your choice by measurements. Surely its all about how it sounds !!!. I have a SR7012 that still sounds stunning in my home cinema (7.1.4). I would have no hesitation upgrading to one of new models, especially the AV7706.

Please don't make your choice by measurements. Surely its all about how it sounds !!!. I have a SR7012 that still sounds stunning in my home cinema (7.1.4). I would have no hesitation upgrading to one of new models, especially the AV7706.

It is always best to demo new AV products at a trusted dealer. Or even better, a demo at home with your own speakers and room. Too many people rely on measurements and reviews.

I guess the bad measurements of the SR7015 isn't actually hearable. But you want the product to be as good as possible when you're spending 2.299 USD. It measuring good might make it easier to resell later on as well.

About the AV7706... Looking at the insides there seems to be a massive difference between it and it's big brother AV8805. Amongst it a huge power supply and PCBs for each channel that the AV8805 has (for better channel separation?). Inside the AV7706 it actually looks like the power supply and amps of the SR7015 just have been ripped out. The chassis and video board is at least shared. But you're still paying a premium. The AV8805 on the other hand, seems to be a different beast entirely.

I had the the 7705 and whilst I can’t speak (measurements), channel separation is genuinely excellent in real word viewing.

Styling needs a refresh aswell, the 8015 would be a better buy, but I think the move to Denon or Yamaha depending what their flagship will be.
what
It seems that they both have the same DAC - the AK4458, so how would the SR8015 be better? Apart from the copper plated connections in the rear, is there any advantage that it offers over the 7706? Where can I find out about the HDAMs used in each? I’ve got an SR7010 and am thinking of upgrading, so I’m wondering about how much of a difference it would make to go to separates with the 7706 and an Emotiva XPA Gen 3 amp, with XLR cables. Or would the SR8015 sound the same? Considering that my SR7010 also has the AK4458 DAC, will either upgrade make a substantial difference?
It seems that they both have the same DAC - the AK4458, so how would the SR8015 be better? Apart from the copper plated connections in the rear, is there any advantage that it offers over the 7706? I’ve got an SR7010 and am thinking of upgrading, so I’m wondering about how much of a difference it would make to go to separates with the 7706 and an Emotiva XPA Gen 3 amp, with XLR cables. Or would the SR8015 sound the same? Considering that my SR7010 also has the AK4458 DAC, will either upgrade make a substantial difference?

So the Dac has not changed from 7010 to 8015, thats not really upgrading, what Dac is in the higher end Marantz pre amp ?

It uses the AK4490, but I have no idea how much of a difference that makes and I suspect the sound any pre amp or receiver produces is greater than just the DAC. That said, I’m also amazed that Marantz haven’t changed the DAC it uses in their top tier over five years.

With TV's supporting eARC, why have all of the video sections on something that should be concentrating on doing the audio. Let the TV pass through the audio and display the video. It would be a better machine for it (and should be cheaper as well)

Yes no need for the video section really for most of us. Nor legacy connections either. It’s part of the reason I choose Anthem, thankfully stripped down to concentrate on what matters.

Yes no need for the video section really for most of us. Nor legacy connections either. It’s part of the reason I choose Anthem, thankfully stripped down to concentrate on what matters.

Monoprice htp-1 is ideal in that regard, no on-screen...hdmi is just a switch then?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom