NEWS: Magico M9 flagship speaker announced

"The M9 begins shipping in Q4 of 2020 with a UK price officially ‘price on application’ but is expected to be in the region of £840,000 inc. VAT per pair.

Why not let us know if you’ve recently won the lottery and intend to upgrade your current speakers to the M9s? We’ll believe you!"

@Andy Bassett Listen, Mr Bassett, I'll have you know that I buy a lottery ticket about one draw in three, so as soon as my numbers come up I'll be right there!

But I'm a home cinema chap these days, not just stereo. So what about the matching centre and surround speakers?

And any idea of dimensions? I suspect that these would be (much) too big for my reasonable but not huge parlour even if I did win the lottery! :)

They come in at over 2m tall and a less than svelte 454kg each.
I've got a good feeling about 6, 16, 24, 29, 34 (lucky numbers 3 and 11) for this Friday's Euromillions - you're welcome. Why not use them as the surround speakers and get some proper high-end speakers for the front channels to go with your 583-inch Samsung The Wall TV!

@Andy Bassett Alas, my parlour measures only 14' wide by 18' long by 10'6" high, so I couldn't accommodate a 583-inch The Wall TV! And, as I thought, the Magico speakers will be too big for my parlour also. And they're extremely heavy also, 454 kg is almost half a ton, I really don't think that my floorboards could take that kind of weight!

But thanks for the tip about the Euromillions lottery!

Nice design ....will they also provide speaker cables? :)
don't forget to provide pictures /spec's of the new "Lamborghini" and just NOT to upset us poor B******! for sitting at home... :smashin:

@Andy Bassett I forgot to say Sir, this sentence " .... and cost the kind of money even the most ardent audiophile would prefer to see be spent on an MRI machine for their nearest hospital. " is very true. AV is only a hobby for most of us, albeit expensive. Doesn't come ahead of saving lives.

Do they have a 7.1 system? Oh and some Atmos speakers? :rotfl:

Mind I'd love to hear a pair just to get a head-on what they think that sort of money can do. The most expensive speakers I heard were around the 250k mark and they weren't great.

They'd look like the cooling towers of coal fired power station if you had them in white. I'm too short to be able to dust the top of them so for me it's a pass.

@martimu The trouble is, even if Magico offered me a pair free, they're simply too big and heavy to fit into most people's rooms. I've never heard a really expensive pair of speakers, maybe the most expensive that I've heard was the B & W Nautilus 802 loudspeaker, which I think were around £20,000 a pair. How cheap compared to the Magico!

@Andy Bassett and @gibbsy I know that nobody will be buying a pair, but I do think that the Magico speakers should be on the front page of AVForums! For the novelty value if nothing else. Here's the current front page at 50% magnification, and the Magicos are not there!

AVForums front page 50%.jpg

Bugger me cross-eyed!

I don’t care about anything else... I want them.

...and a genuine banquet hall to place them in...

Bugger me cross-eyed!

I don’t care about anything else... I want them.

...and a genuine banquet hall to place them in...
Ah, but what would you drive them with?

they will fit nicely in the conservatory.

Some rich oligarch of premier league footballer will buy them. Just like other photographs I've seen of expensive audio gear in the homes of the rich they'll get pushed up against the marble wall in a room with marble flooring and floor to ceiling glass.

waiting for the 5.1 version

SPECIFICATIONS

Driver complement:

1.10-inch diamond coated Beryllium tweeter (x1)
6-inch Gen 8 Magico Nano-Tec cone with Aluminum honeycomb core (x1)
11-inch Gen 8 Magico Nano-Tec cones with Aluminum honeycomb core (x2)
15-inch Gen 8 Magico Nano-Tec cones with Aluminum honeycomb core (x2)

Sensitivity: 94 dB

Impedance: 4 ohms

Frequency response: 18 Hz – 50 kHz

Power handling: 20 W (min) to 2000 W (max)

Dimensions:Loudspeaker: 80” H x 40” D x 20” W (203 x 102 x 51 cm)
Crossover: 8” H x 18” D x 20” W (20 x 46 x 51 cm)
Crossover power supply: 8” H x 18” D x 20” W (20 x 46 x 51 cm)

Weight:
Loudspeaker: 1000 pounds (454 kg) each
Crossover: 40 lbs. (18 kg)
Crossover power supply: 60 lbs. (27 kg)

Suggested US Retail Price: $750,000/pair

£840k = A beautiful detached house in the country, all the furniture to go inside it, a great big lump of a car to park outside it and a better hifi/AV set up than most people on this forum will ever own. Madness.

£840k = A beautiful detached house in the country, all the furniture to go inside it, a great big lump of a car to park outside it and a better hifi/AV set up than most people on this forum will ever own. Madness.

And yet there are those who have the means to buy beautiful detached houses in many different countries, and fully furnish them, all at the same time. They no doubt will have many, many different cars as well if they want to and will be able to pick and chose which hifi/AV they fancy at any one time. These sort inspirational consumer products just aren’t aimed at those who might be forced into a decision between a material purchase and having somewhere to live, another property though are they, they can just do it. If I had the means I would also be looking to buy the best of the best so I wonder if somewhere, somehow a twin test between these and the Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic might be on the cards for Mr Bassett on one of his yachts?

And yet there are those who have the means to buy beautiful detached houses in many different countries, and fully furnish them, all at the same time. They no doubt will have many, many different cars as well if they want to and will be able to pick and chose which hifi/AV they fancy at any one time. These sort inspirational consumer products just aren’t aimed at those who might be forced into a decision between a material purchase and having somewhere to live, another property though are they, they can just do it. If I had the means I would also be looking to buy the best of the best so I wonder if somewhere, somehow a twin test between these and the Wilson Audio WAMM Master Chronosonic might be on the cards for Mr Bassett on one of his yachts?
Agree in theory. I think i'm also repelled by the look and size. Just the entire package really.

Agree in theory. I think i'm also repelled by the look and size. Just the entire package really.

I struggle to comprehend the rarified world that many now live on too.

I’m not sure that there is a definite template for what an £840K speaker should look like but I don’t think that I would necessarily pick these out of a line up even if they were next to some significantly cheaper examples. It may well just be a case that the applied engineering and materials justifies the cost though which is ok by me, it’s as exciting a prospect as the final form as far as I am concerned.

Manufacturers often push the tech boat out on their top end gear which can then trickle down to the affordable range (B&W and KEF spring to mind).

That doesn't apply to Magico as everything they sell is pricey. I suppose they did it because they can. I mean, how many does anyone think they'll sell a year? One pair? Two? And then you've got to think about associated amplification and sources of a similar quality.

And how do you manoeuvre an object that weighs half a ton into a domestic house? Can forklift trucks fit through doorways? And what if you have a problem? Can you call Magico and ask them to pick them up for repair?

Look, I'm sure they sound brilliant, but I would never spend that kind of money. Mind you, it's all about a mindset, I suppose. Billionaires don't think like the rest of us, I expect.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom