NEWS: LOTR and Hobbit trilogies coming to 4K UHD

Will wait for the reviews. You know how it goes. These could be anything from a complete rescan and regrade down to the laziest of lazy 2K upscales. If these are truly phenomenal, I will buy. Anything less and I'll stick with my existing discs. Certainly not going to preorder sight unseen.

Will wait for the reviews. You know how it goes. These could be anything from a complete rescan and regrade down to the laziest of lazy 2K upscales. If these are truly phenomenal, I will buy. Anything less and I'll stick with my existing discs. Certainly not going to preorder sight unseen.

No worries in that regard...

All six films have been fully remastered by Weta Digital in New Zealand in a process overseen by director Peter Jackson. For The Lord of the Rings, this includes new 4K scans of original camera negative and new 4K scans of the original VFX film outs.

Last edited:
I’m probably in the minority here but I wish they’d do a 3D conversion of the first trilogy as part of the anniversary celebrations, then we’d have all 6 films in 3D as well as 4K and standard BR. Truly the ultimate collectors edition!

I’m with you on that. I’ve had my fingers burnt a few times blind buying some of these 4k releases, now I wait for the reviews before committing to purchase. I’d have thought that there might be some reviews coming out by now the release deadline is looming.

I’m with you on that. I’ve had my fingers burnt a few times blind buying some of these 4k releases, now I wait for the reviews before committing to purchase. I’d have thought that there might be some reviews coming out by now the release deadline is looming.
The fact that WB have said its a complete rescan from the ground up should indicate it wont a lazy conversation! I would be all over it for the Atmos track alone! The Nazgual flying overhead will be epic!

The fact that WB have said its a complete rescan from the ground up should indicate it wont a lazy conversation! I would be all over it for the Atmos track alone! The Nazgual flying overhead will be epic!
Yeah it sounds promising but doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ve done a good job, look at T2 and Hocus Pocus! I used to purchase titles because of the atmos upgrade but now that’s a risk too. I have no doubts that if they do a good job it’ll be awesome, I’d love to hear all the originals in atmos there’s some amazing scenes that would lend itself to the format.

Might buy the wife this for "her" Christmas present...

Yes please...... But looking forward to reviews before I dip into my sea of green :)

Yeah it sounds promising but doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ve done a good job, look at T2 and Hocus Pocus! I used to purchase titles because of the atmos upgrade but now that’s a risk too. I have no doubts that if they do a good job it’ll be awesome, I’d love to hear all the originals in atmos there’s some amazing scenes that would lend itself to the format.

Disney and Studio Canal releases, yea the results can be variable but these are being handled by Weta directly so I have no doubt they will be top shelf.

T2 was handled by Jimmy C wasn't it?

Do these have dolby vision?

He doesn't seem to get involved with anything nowadays (still waiting for him to sign off on a new HD transfer of True Lies and The Abyss) but even if he did sign off on the new 4K transfer a lot can happen between that point and what ended up on disc, they went over board with the DNR to help the 3D version which isn't uncommon but instead of then basing the 2D Blu-ray and UHD on the original 4K transfer they went and used the 3D version for them which was just :facepalm:

I very much enjoyed the 3d version of T2 and it looked gorgeous on Oled
Do you mean Terminator 2? If so, this is the wrong thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom