NEWS: LOTR and Hobbit trilogies coming to 4K UHD

I'm not that interested in the Hobbit so wouldn't be wanting to buy the “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition.

I'm not that interested in the Hobbit so wouldn't be wanting to buy the “Middle-earth” Ultimate Collectors’ Edition.
Then maybe your best bet is standard 4K UHD now with WB 10% code for around £67, then just the Blu-ray set?

If I buy it now then I'd more than likely forgo buying the HD discs when the remstered versions are released.

I'm a little bewildered by the reasoning behind not releasing a comprehensive 4K 20th aniversay bundle of LOTR. Why the hell are they releasing an HD remastered Blu-ray version next year as opposed to waiting until then to release the 4K discs? It sort of suggests that there'll be yet another aniversary option including the 4K discs? Maybe they aren't announcing this now in order to not disuade people from awaiting that release and to get them to then have to duble dip yet again after buying the 4K version scheduled for this year? There's something not right about the proposed sceduling. THe aniversary is next year and there only appears to be a remastered Blu-ray release on the books to celebrate this??? Yes, there's the Middle EArth 6 film boxset, but that isn't particularly anything to do twith the LOTR Fellowship aniversary.

Last edited:
No doubt I’ll bite at some point but I’m happy to wait until you can get the LOTR set for about £30 or something, no rush personally to get these as soon as they’re out. Not interested in The Hobbit set at all.

Last edited:
Why the hell are they releasing an HD remastered Blu-ray version next year as opposed to waiting until then to release the 4K discs?
As I have no interest in the Blu-ray versions, I'm pleased that I don't have to wait till next year to get my 4K disks. It's not all about you, you know ;)

As I have no interest in the Blu-ray versions, I'm pleased that I don't have to wait till next year to get my 4K disks. It's not all about you, you know ;)

Well we will have to wait and see exactly what they actually release at the end of next year. I've a feeling that whatever you buy now will not be the definitive release of LOTR. That has nothing to do with what I'd like, but more a matter of what Warner can milk out of an old cow.

IN that case, it makes it even more bewidering. Why the hell is there a 20th aniversary remastered Blu-ray scheduled for next year?

Cash, cow and milk.

I don’t want Blu-ray so delighted I can just order the UHDs now

Not a chance at that price for films I've already bought on DVD and bluray and 3D.
I'll be waiting till they drop to sensible money.
Honesty I believe the film companies by their pricing structure want 4K uhd to fail so they can just push the streaming side of things.

Not a chance at that price for films I've already bought on DVD and bluray and 3D.
I'll be waiting till they drop to sensible money.
Honesty I believe the film companies by their pricing structure want 4K uhd to fail so they can just push the streaming side of things.
I don’t understand. 4K steels usually release at £30 or so. There’s some work gone into these so it’s not exactly unexpected. £90 with code is not fatal for steelbooks. £75 for amarays is hardly unusual either. Of course if you wait then in 3-6 months you’ll get them cheaper so it’s consumers choice. But you won’t get the steelbooks as they will be long gone

The Steelbook version is already no longer available.

IN that case, it makes it even more bewidering. Why the hell is there a 20th aniversary remastered Blu-ray scheduled for next year?

Cash, cow and milk.
They didn't have time to finish them Dante, and they have told people now, so I tend to believe them for a change. Buy the 4k version now, offload it next year and buy the uber set

Have the Definitive versions in DVD & Blu Ray of LOTR. I will definitely buy the 4K with Atmos version at some point, probably second hand. But not bothered about the redone Blu Rays as well. This version will be fine,

The Hobbit trilogy I think is less than parsley. No interest there

I don’t understand. 4K steels usually release at £30 or so. There’s some work gone into these so it’s not exactly unexpected. £90 with code is not fatal for steelbooks. £75 for amarays is hardly unusual either. Of course if you wait then in 3-6 months you’ll get them cheaper so it’s consumers choice. But you won’t get the steelbooks as they will be long gone
I've no interest in steel books and never have.
I appreciate that collectors want them and are willing to pay for them though.
It's not a right or wrong thing it's just personal choice that as much as I like 4ks i cant justify spending £25 for films that i already own or have owned on another format
I don't see that uhd's are worth the extra cost over blurays at the initial sale price, generally a film costing £25 for the uhd is only £15 for the blu.
Every year released data shows physical media sales are dwindling whilst streaming is on the increase and 4k disc sales are very niche and massively out sold by DVD! thd large price difference isnt doing the format any favours.
My local supermarket has stopped stocking them and I can only assume that's because they're not selling.

I've no interest in steel books and never have.
I appreciate that collectors want them and are willing to pay for them though.
It's not a right or wrong thing it's just personal choice that as much as I like 4ks i cant justify spending £25 for films that i already own or have owned on another format
I don't see that uhd's are worth the extra cost over blurays at the initial sale price, generally a film costing £25 for the uhd is only £15 for the blu.
Every year released data shows physical media sales are dwindling whilst streaming is on the increase and 4k disc sales are very niche and massively out sold by DVD! thd large price difference isnt doing the format any favours.
My local supermarket has stopped stocking them and I can only assume that's because they're not selling.

Whether streaming is or isn't becoming the du jour, the facts of the matter are that you still get superior audio and video when buying titles on disc. I'm in no rush to replace every Blu-ray title in my collection with their 4K rereleases if and when they become available, but there are titles I'd like to update and know that I will rewatch them in the future. The LOTR trilogy is one of those titles. I'm also quite looking forward to the Atmos soundtrack and there are plenty of scenes that should benefit from this.

There was actually a resurgence of physical media during the lockdown. It seems as though not everyone was satisfied with what was on offer from the streaming services:

Last edited:
It seems as though not everyone was satisfied with what was on offer from the streaming services:
Capping bandwidth & decreasing streaming quality to 1080p/1440p may be partly to blame here.

Looks like they're putting some effort in, but I'll wait for a secondhand copy of the bundle with all the LOTR/Hobbit films in. I'm in no rush.

I'll be buying this release, it really doesn't bother me if they're remastering the BDs next year.

I'll hang onto my current BD set because it has a huge amount of extras... I've still got the DVD box set :p

I'll hang onto my current BD set because it has a huge amount of extras... I've still got the DVD box set :p

My Wife & I were just talking about this. No way we can afford the 4K set right now, but both the DVD & BD sets sit on a shelf underneath the TV, as they are such lovely looking Box Sets. :)

Would be interesting to know what the new bonus content will be. If it's just a small featurette or some new interviews, it wouldn't really be worth it.

I am sure I have read on previous LOTR 4k threads that the films were not filmed with sufficient resolution for 4k remaster. So is this not just a 4k upscale from a 2k master?

I am sure I have read on previous LOTR 4k threads that the films were not filmed with sufficient resolution for 4k remaster. So is this not just a 4k upscale from a 2k master?
I believe they went back and did a 4K rescan

According to a Warner Bros. Home Entertainment press release, The Lord of the Rings in particular will be released with a new 4K scan of each film’s original camera negatives, as well as a new 4K scan of the films’ VFX. The Hobbit is likewise getting a similar upgrade based off its original 5K digitally shot footage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom