NEWS: LG TVs to get Google Stadia and GeForce Now gaming in 2021

Good to see that these are not limited to the 2021 TV releases. I have a B7, and so I'm interested in the Geforce option when it is released

considering the ethernet connection is rubbish on the CX (and most likely the same on pre 2021 models), and the built-in wifi connection isn't all the great either, i'd be interested to see how stadia and geforce performs with the rubbish network connectivty that we already have on pre 2021 models.

considering the ethernet connection is rubbish on the CX (and most likely the same on pre 2021 models), and the built-in wifi connection isn't all the great either, i'd be interested to see how stadia and geforce performs with the rubbish network connectivty that we already have on pre 2021 models.

I'm interested to know what you mean by the "ethernet connection being rubbish?", do you mean that it is only 100mbps port rather than a 1gbps port?

If that is the case I still don't think its a problem, as I don't know of any streaming or gaming service requiring a 100mbps connection. The max a 4K HDR stream pulls is about 25-30mbps on the Apple TV.

Even a proper 4K HDR Rip from disc at full bit rate rarely exceeds 80-90mbps.

I'm interested to know what you mean by the "ethernet connection being rubbish?", do you mean that it is only 100mbps port rather than a 1gbps port?

If that is the case I still don't think its a problem, as I don't know of any streaming or gaming service requiring a 100mbps connection. The max a 4K HDR stream pulls is about 25-30mbps on the Apple TV.

have you tried the ethernet connection on 2020 model?
on the CX it's atrocious. the built-in wifi is marginally better but nothing to shout about.

the max a poor bitrate 4k HDR stream (from streaming sites) is no better than 30Mbps, but a full 4k HDR stream can often peak way over 100Mbps.

Even a proper 4K HDR Rip from disc at full bit rate rarely exceeds 80-90mbps.

that's simply not true.
4k HDR from a BRRIP can often peak way over 100Mbps. i have many that do.

have you tried the ethernet connection on 2020 model?
on the CX it's atrocious. the built-in wifi is marginally better but nothing to shout about.

the max a poor bitrate 4k HDR stream (from streaming sites) is no better than 30Mbps, but a full 4k HDR stream can often peak way over 100Mbps.

that's simply not true.
4k HDR from a BRRIP can often peak way over 100Mbps. i have many that do.

As you can see my collection of more than 200 movies in 4K Ultra HD HDR REMUX rips and I can tell you with certainty that only a handful will momentarily peak above 90-100mbps, most of them are way south of 90mbps.

Last edited:
wasn't aware this was a measuring competition, but my movie library contains 450 movies, and i can tell you that there any many that peak over 100Mbps.

even if you have just 1 movie that peaks over then you would have an issue if relying on the sub-standard network connectivity of the 2020 models.

So does the 2021 models have Gbit ethernet finally? or?

one would hope, but if they are going to cheap out on something again it'll most likely be the network connectivity.

wasn't aware this was a measuring competition, but my movie library contains 450 movies, and i can tell you that there any many that peak over 100Mbps.

even if you have just 1 movie that peaks over then you would have an issue if relying on the sub-standard network connectivity of the 2020 models.

I didnt mean to cause offence, and this isnt a measuring contest. My point is that I have the LG65C8 model from 2018 which also has the 100mbps network port and I have not had a single issue streaming any of my 4K rips to the TV, even for those movies that do peak over the 100mbps bit rate, no stutter, no playback issues, no problems.

So it really isnt an issue at all for me, so its not anything to complain about. Yes it really should have a 1gbps port, but its not actually a major problem.

I too am also upgrading this year to the 2021 C1 oled, due to hdmi 2.1 and owning the ps5 and wanting to play cod in 120fps, so yes it would be nice if the 2021 models do the the 1gbps network port, but I am not too fussed if it doesnt have it. As I have never ran into problems with the 100mbs port on the C8 2018 model.

here's a small sample of movies that peak over 100Mbps.
i have a much longer list if anyone is interested.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 135011.jpg

I think the most important thing is having a stable and reliable connection, and I would choose a wired connection over a faster but unreliable wifi connection. But each to their own. I have cat6 wired in every room of my house and prefer a wired connection over wireless even though the wireless connection to the TV is faster than the wired 100mbps port.

Well, nipping in here was a waste of time, only post #2 is on topic. :p

Well, nipping in here was a waste of time, only post #2 is on topic. :p

actually, the network connectivity of the TV is very much "on topic".
streaming games over the internet requires a solid and fast network connection

If you say so. Reads very much like a thread about streaming ripped films to me. Stadia already works (if your connection is fast enough) on any tv, so all the waffle about LG's ethernet port is moot. I have an LG tv and happily stream 4k media to it without issue over wifi. Stadia won't be any different, and Stadia being built into the tv is the actual topic.

If you say so.

ditto

stadia itself if just an app, so there won't by anything "built-in" to the TV. the announcement simply means that someone is creating a WebOS version of the stadia app.

i have the stadia app on my phone and my shield, so have some experience of using it already.

Good to see that these are not limited to the 2021 TV releases. I have a B7, and so I'm interested in the Geforce option when it is released
I'd be surprised if they support 7 series, fingers crossed though.

And guys there really is no point debating the network port trust me 😅

I have a wireless CX and a powerlined C9, there is no discernible difference and both perform great 🤷‍♂️

Is it confirmed that CX (just the latest before 2021 models) at least will update to have Stadia and Geforce Now also, along the 2021 models?

Is it confirmed that CX (just the latest before 2021 models) at least will update to have Stadia and Geforce Now also, along the 2021 models?
I'd be very surprised if the CX didn't get it, and surprised if the C9 didn't also

Tbh, don't think I'd ever use it, but be nice to have

Stadia and geforce now are great, and in the future even better, like, they use internet for gaming a big hard tech game, without having the high hardware, it is amazing.

But, it is a suscription, your games are not yours, never, and they may quit them from the list. Although there is the option to buy and with discounts, but then you lose if you buy along the suscription.

The new trend in the globe is suscriptions, good ones like shows, but for gaming, not so, the consumer does not own anything

Stadia and geforce now are great, and in the future even better, like, they use internet for gaming a big hard tech game, without having the high hardware, it is amazing.

But, it is a suscription, your games are not yours, never, and they may quit them from the list. Although there is the option to buy and with discounts, but then you lose if you buy along the suscription.

The new trend in the globe is suscriptions, good ones like shows, but for gaming, not so, the consumer does not own anything
Its a great idea and has huge potential, but not in its current format like you say.

Not when Xbox does it way better.

Its a great idea and has huge potential, but not in its current format like you say.

Not when Xbox does it way better.

What better, you mean Gamepass? I dont know exactly the differences. But what a shame if in the gamepass they remove some of the games you like, or plan to, and still pay the suscription.
Buy then separately? So separately and also gamepass?

PS now the same, a suscription, even PSP and XBLGold, also suscriptions

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom