NEWS: LG to mass produce 77-inch OLED panels in 2020

Hopefully 77’’ at a great price within 2 years

So... A 48" for the bedroom and a 77" for the lounge. Nice one LG ;)

Would be nice to get Panasonic on board with the 77” OLED. The current 950 launch prices are great. One year down the road should be even better.

I was a fairly early adopter of the 7 series and my 65B7 cost me £3,300. I would have loved a 77 then but the cost was just too high. This time around I waited and then bought a 77C8 (last years model) when prices had dropped to a more reasonable £3,600 including a five year warranty. Yes , the 77C9 is probably a marginally better TV but that currently sits at £7,000.
It will be interesting to see what the cheaper TVs will retail at when production gets really going.

I currently enjoying my LG Oled65e6v but would surely entertain a 77 inch OLED if 3D were reintroduced but we all know the chances of that happening are remote at best.

I’d happily put cheap 48 oleds around the house as smart speakers / screens and use the 77 in the lounge

I’d happily put cheap 48 oleds around the house as smart speakers / screens and use the 77 in the lounge
77 inch definitely the next best successor to 65 inch for me 👍🏽

I currently enjoying my LG Oled65e6v but would surely entertain a 77 inch OLED if 3D were reintroduced but we all know the chances of that happening are remote at best.
I’d agree with you if there were no need for glasses.

Any further news on the expansion of 77” production seeing as we are half way through 2020?

I been Googling and found this interesting site that mentions LG's delaying things until 2023.

Any further news on the expansion of 77” production seeing as we are half way through 2020?

3D will return but I don't think its close or potentially even this decade. 4K HDR bandwagon is in full effect at present. But I am also a big 3D fan, I just think the technology needs to be further refined (minimisation of light output lost). Also the issue for glasses wearers is still there.

LG already priced in a healthy price reduction on current 77'' panels.

Even if their cost for production lowered, I don't see a significant reduction in RRP of 77 inch panels as long as their competition (Samsung) continue to overpriced their 75'' and 82'' LCD panels.

I hope they do though, and this causes the 88'' panels to lower in price

We can only hope LG makes the move to reinstate 3D in some form maybe in the 8K realm to bolster interest unless they are looking even further to 16K which would more than probably be way out of the 'everyman' pocket not forgetting a screen size the size of a Bus and not being practical in the home not forgetting eye perception of detail.

We can only hope LG makes the move to reinstate 3D in some form maybe in the 8K realm to bolster interest unless they are looking even further to 16K which would more than probably be way out of the 'everyman' pocket not forgetting a screen size the size of a Bus and not being practical in the home not forgetting eye perception of detail.

3D only comes with 3D content. I know Cameron is planning to release a lot of Avatar films in the next decade or so but without Blockbuster films which push forwards the technology, I struggle to see how it will work.

LG are also now in a chase for nits. As far as I'm aware, the 3D filter or layer actually decreases the number of nits so will put them back a step.

8K is really not a thing either until we get 8k content OR we get a jump in video picture processing so that 8K looks better than just 4k upscaled.

The only device I know of which does 4k content on 8K justice is the 8K E-shift technology on the JVC NX9.

I love 3D though. I'm more concerned with larger panels (88 inch OLEDs) coming down in price.

For 3D, at least it still on projectors and to be honest, having a 100inch projecting image is superior to the 3D I've had on an OLED or FALD TV.

3D only comes with 3D content. I know Cameron is planning to release a lot of Avatar films in the next decade or so but without Blockbuster films which push forwards the technology, I struggle to see how it will work.

LG are also now in a chase for nits. As far as I'm aware, the 3D filter or layer actually decreases the number of nits so will put them back a step.

8K is really not a thing either until we get 8k content OR we get a jump in video picture processing so that 8K looks better than just 4k upscaled.

The only device I know of which does 4k content on 8K justice is the 8K E-shift technology on the JVC NX9.

I love 3D though. I'm more concerned with larger panels (88 inch OLEDs) coming down in price.

For 3D, at least it still on projectors and to be honest, having a 100inch projecting image is superior to the 3D I've had on an OLED or FALD TV.
I agree whole heartedly...I will go the Short Throw Projector route with 3D on-board such is the time my E6 fails but then again I like the real estate of 100inch projected image that I would enjoy sooner than later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom