NEWS: LG to introduce new QNED Mini LED TV at virtual CES 2021

It's not true QNED technology hopefully LG will put that out. Good to see its putting more effort in LCD. Hopefully it will switch to VA at the same time

It looks promising.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful but if these show better contrast than normal LED (Even if inferior to OLED) and they can price the 86 <£5000 I'd be interested.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful but if these show better contrast than normal LED (Even if inferior to OLED) and they can price the 86 <£5000 I'd be interested.
It will be higher than 5,000. 8K Mini LED.

As Vincent said on his channel, it's most likely to be IPS panel:D, which has poorer blacks and LG traditionally uses IPS panel in its LCD ranges.

I wonder if this is LG paying Samsung back by hijacking the QNED name in the same way that Samsung were a bit underhand introducing the QLED name to be similar to OLED.

Is this for very large tvs or will they be available in 55 and 65 inch models..

Sticking with my 55E6OLED for the foreseeable future. MicroLED is probably the tech for my next TV but only if it has 3D bluray support and Dolby Vision.

Odds on this has an IPS panel for segmentation reasons: a VA panel with thousands of dimming zones would likely get way too close to OLED quality (and beat it soundly in the bright conditions of retail showrooms) so LG will continue to cripple their lower cost products to protect their OLED goose.

I doubt its meant to be or can be a competitor to OLED.

It's squeezing what they can from consumer IPS LCD tech by bolting on quantum dots and mini-led dimming zones.

A lot will depend on how good the algorithm for the dimming zones is, just having that doesn't mean its an automatic improvement.

If it can overcome some of the downsides of IPS it could be a decent option.

Sticking with my 55E6OLED for the foreseeable future. MicroLED is probably the tech for my next TV but only if it has 3D bluray support and Dolby Vision.

3D is dead, no TV has supported it for at least three generations

3D is dead, no TV has supported it for at least three generations
It’s alive and very well here and with projectors and yes I know that it’s currently out of favour as a mass market product but that doesn’t rule out a comeback as a niche differentiator at some point in the future.

It’s alive and very well here and with projectors and yes I know that it’s currently out of favour as a mass market product but that doesn’t rule out a comeback as a niche differentiator at some point in the future.

It’s not ‘out of favour’, it is dead

Try telling James Cameron that.

He doesn’t control the features companies put in their TV’s, so that’s not really relevant as we’re not talking about the cinema.

No TV from any of the major brands will be released in the future that has 3D. For that medium, it is dead

It looks like LG want a mid range product to fill retail shelves but without the Samsung hype I doubt it will be an immediate winner, most consumers will be waiting for Samsung to enter the miniLED market as they have more pedigree developing this technology and less vested interest in OLED.
As You Tube influencers have been speculating Samsung are likely to put high end tech into their TV's including a VA panel so it's possible we may have a close contender to OLED in 2022-23.

Unlike my old Pioneer plasma, OLED has never looked particularly natural to me; despite its many obvious individual flaws overall I still prefer the image from my 65DX902B. And there are all the comments re OLED image retention.
A nice 75 inch mini LED may offer a nice compromise even if it means the black levels are a little lacking.

Fantastic news and screw you TCL you had your chance to get my money and now you never will.

Are Sony and Panasonic going down this route to. I am assuming this tech is trying to force the panels to produce a better picture than they should be able to, so are there any other types of panel tech other than va or ips

I need something with excellent off axis viewing and at present that means only OLED or Samsung’s top of the range sets, and as Samsung cost so much and with OLED prices continuing to drop it looks like I’ll be getting an OLED when the time comes, unless LG can knock this QNED tech out of the park.

No mater how these companies dress up LCD TVs, they still have poor viewing angles. I will never buy a LCD TV. :)

No mater how these companies dress up LCD TVs, they still have poor viewing angles. I will never buy a LCD TV. :)
The reviews for the Q95T and the QS950TS seemed to suggest different.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom