NEWS: LG to introduce new QNED Mini LED TV at virtual CES 2021

Kirkk

As mad as it may sound I'm thinking a Qned will be replacing the OLED as the main living room TV. Obviously this will all depend on how they look and perform etc but as the room is super bright it looks the best option. I was hoping Sony would come out with something similar but I guess not. Fingers crossed then.

Joe C

Can only fit a 40-43 inch in the living room - currently got a 40” Panasonic EX700 in there and am hoping I can get something better

Kingchin

Can only fit a 40-43 inch in the living room - currently got a 40” Panasonic EX700 in there and am hoping I can get something better
How small is your living room? Surely it can't be that small to only fit a 40-43 inch tv 😳

Tv's are so slim these days you can fit 65inch tv's even in small rooms as long as you don't have a cluttered room.

Joe C

How small is your living room? Surely it can't be that small to only fit a 40-43 inch tv 😳

Tv's are so slim these days you can fit 65inch tv's even in small rooms as long as you don't have a cluttered room.

I’ve got two 65” screens in other rooms, but the layout of the living room (more a sitting room) means it needs to go in a corner alcove, so only a max of 43”

I wouldn’t want a big screen in there anyway, I don’t want a TV dominating that room

MrMrH

There’s talk of 42” OLEDs coming this year if that’s of interest.

Joe C

There’s talk of 42” OLEDs coming this year if that’s of interest.

Yeah, saw that on the other LG article

Kingchin

I’ve got two 65” screens in other rooms, but the layout of the living room (more a sitting room) means it needs to go in a corner alcove, so only a max of 43”

I wouldn’t want a big screen in there anyway, I don’t want a TV dominating that room
So it's actually a secondary room. Most people call their main room a living room, same as you called it in your previous post.

But yeah if it's a tricky layout secondary room then I can see a corner alcove would limit the size of the television.

Joe C

So it's actually a secondary room. Most people call their main room a living room, same as you called it in your previous post.

But yeah if it's a tricky layout secondary room then I can see a corner alcove would limit the size of the television.

It’s not a secondary room - It’s the living room as it’s where we spend most of the time. The other two rooms serve specific functions (cinema room, bar).
Not everyone wants a massive telly in their main room

Kingchin

It’s not a secondary room - It’s the living room as it’s where we spend most of the time. The other two rooms serve specific functions (cinema room, bar).
Not everyone wants a massive telly in their main room
Yep some people like yourself prefer smaller tv's in their living room, only the few have the luxury of a cinema room and bar.

Most people buying tv's for their living rooms these days buy a 65inch television.

Last edited:

Joe C

Yep some people like yourself prefer smaller tv's in their living room. Though most people buying tv's for their living rooms these days buy a 65inch television.

I think you’ll find 55” is the most popular screen size

Kingchin

I think you’ll find 55” is the most popular screen size
Agree to disagree as Curry's, John Lewis and a few other big UK retailers reported that 65inch was now the current best selling television size for UK living rooms.

rupert81

Having had my little plan scuppered to buy a 65 sony hx95. I will try to hold on to see if these QNEDS are any good. I just recently bought my sister a cheap un8100 for her living room and was very pleasantly surprised. Apart from black level in HDR for normal full screen content it was beautiful. So i'm hoping these mini led sets can give a better black level for HDR and i'm in!

Noblegamer

On the downside, I did notice one image drawback that seems to be unique to Mini LED TVs like this. In certain instances, I could actually make out the grid of tiny LEDs that are layered in the panel, giving the screen a faint checkerboard effect. To be clear, the LEDs were only visible when standing close to the screen and they only showed up in the center of the panel when certain colors popped up. I've seen reports of similar artifacts on TCL's 8-Series Mini LED TVs. It remains to be seen whether this ends up being distracting during normal viewing, but I doubt it will be a big problem for most people who watch TV from a distance.
20c210bbab9669166e924c57cc283a7c.gif

Kirkk

First attempts are never going to be the best. Probably better off judging the second generation displays next year.

Kirkk

I'm well aware but it's still in infancy at this point and this is LG's first attempt. I'll be looking to their second generation stuff before I judge the technology properly.

JSWolf

Sticking with my 55E6OLED for the foreseeable future. MicroLED is probably the tech for my next TV but only if it has 3D bluray support and Dolby Vision.
There are not going to be new TVs with 3D so you can forget that on your wish list. 3D tanked and is no more for new TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom