NEWS: LG Profits: OLED Bet Pays Off.

But is this a blip? Will Samsung's dominance continue? Or will the lack of innovation, in OLED, start to see them fall from their position as the leading TV panel maker?
Tune into next week's exciting episode to find out...;)

You get us all intrigued by these questions and then leaving us hanging for the answers.
I haven't been so disappointed since getting to the end of Avengers Infinity War and finding it was a 2 parter I would have to wait a year to be resolved :(

Last edited:
If LG continue to Treat there Customers like Garbage and even Garbage get better treatment. at least garbage gets put into a bin , LG just leaves us in lying in the Gutter !! they have the worst customer service ever !! im not talking about me im talking for everyone whos had to deal with LG for warranty purposes !

If LG continue to Treat there Customers like Garbage and even Garbage get better treatment. at least garbage gets put into a bin , LG just leaves us in lying in the Gutter !! they have the worst customer service ever !! im not talking about me im talking for everyone whos had to deal with LG for warranty purposes !

Hi, didn't know that the CS was so bad. Only LG product I have at the moment is a Washing machine, the touch panel went into la la mode, LG CS arranged for engineer and got the repair done under their free 5 year warranty without issues.

OLED is definitely becoming more mainstream. Great to see the economies of scale working in the consumer's favour and prices of high end TVs have come down.

I was speaking to a John Lewis salesperson who said that Samsung is their best seller. But that's predominantly for mid-range TVs. They were struggling to shift their higher end models. Guess Samsung's brand is still strong.

I seem to remember reading a few years back when OLED was in it's infancy that OLED sets would become the dominant format and they would be cheaper than LCD tech.

So does that mean we will be seeing 50" OLED tv's for under £500 any time soon and 65" for under £1000 somehow I think not.

If Samsung come up trumps with micro led, and I expect they will; this upturn will be short lived.

Interesting piece, there is no denying that OLED has captured customers imaginations as the next big thing. However this may be short lived if the do not solve their screen burn issues and lack of peak luminance, because as the OLED screens become main stream the more issues will be reported, as the videophiles of the world know how to care for these screens. General Joe's don't and that will lead to a spate of complaints about screen burn because some pleb left sky sports news running all day for a few weeks and can't understand why the bar at the bottom won't go away. Or you will get people complaining that they have to shut the curtains so they can watch Phil and Holly in the morning. Roll on Micro LED because at least that is a technology that can be mass produced profitably without fudging the figures and in very large numbers to keep prices low.

If Samsung come up trumps with micro led, and I expect they will; this upturn will be short lived.

Samsung are obviously fishing for something - they don't have anything new to bring to the table and haven't for some time ... they are now talking about QD OLED's.

Consumer micro-led is still years away and that is not even getting into costs - by the time it sees the light of day OLED will be so far out of sight that it will take several more years before micro-led is anything more than a niche product ... and I don't think it is just Samsung who will develop it.

I seem to remember reading a few years back when OLED was in it's infancy that OLED sets would become the dominant format and they would be cheaper than LCD tech.

So does that mean we will be seeing 50" OLED tv's for under £500 any time soon and 65" for under £1000 somehow I think not.

It will take time but technically there is nothing there to say it can't be the new LCD - but with LG having limited production what part of the business do you think they should target - bargain bin vs top of the range??

Many billions are being poured into building or adapting plants for production of OLED so it isn't as if LG are resting on their laurels. They are playing the long game ...

Lg's dominance will be short lived. Samsung has just announced their QOled for 2019. Still LCD but sod it, the average Joe will buy it. Or will they? Stay tuned for next year's installment.

Hi, didn't know that the CS was so bad. Only LG product I have at the moment is a Washing machine, the touch panel went into la la mode, LG CS arranged for engineer and got the repair done under their free 5 year warranty without issues.

LG is rated "Bad" with 0.6 / 10 on Trustpilot

LG Electronics is rated "Bad" with 1.1 / 10 on Trustpilot

I have not yet (touch wood) had to deal with them and i have just bought there E8 OLED TV .. which has a fault this is my second one after having the first die on me .

Dealing with Retailer !

Lg's dominance will be short lived. Samsung has just announced their QOled for 2019. Still LCD but sod it, the average Joe will buy it. Or will they? Stay tuned for next year's installment.
Samsung are fine...if you want a cheap 32" for a bedroom/kitchen.

Why?! My 55" OLED is hardly any bigger frame wise than my old 50" plasma because of the much smaller bezels.
Corner of room and that extra 10cm width over my current 50" would be just to much and overlap chimney breast.

Last edited:
Corner of room and that extra 10cm widtg over my current 50" would be just to much and overlap chimney breast.
You've measured a 55" I take it? We arent going to see a 50" OLED it seems..

I keep meaning to attach a card template to my current TV edges to see how it would look, I'll get on that next time I get s large box.
You don't need a large box

Just tape some pieces of plain white paper together and then tape or blue-tack it onto the wall or onto the front of the TV you have now..;)

When you consider it's only OLED that has moved LG to where it is now in the premium market after years of relatively nothing of note, they should be worried. There's micro LED, mini LED and QD OLED all sprouting forth at varying states of development but all having prototypes and supposedly heading for production with different manufacturers.

I keep meaning to attach a card template to my current TV edges to see how it would look, I'll get on that next time I get s large box.

You don't need a large box

Just tape some pieces of plain white paper together and then tape or blue-tack it onto the wall or onto the front of the TV you have now..;)
Assuming you have the measurements correct, all you need is to add is 2" bits to the side edges of the current set.

Roll on Micro LED because at least that is a technology that can be mass produced profitably without fudging the figures and in very large numbers to keep prices low.
And you know this how?

When you consider it's only OLED that has moved LG to where it is now in the premium market after years of relatively nothing of note, they should be worried. There's micro LED, mini LED and QD OLED all sprouting forth at varying states of development but all having prototypes and supposedly heading for production with different manufacturers.

Prototypes mean absolutely nothing until they become actual retail products that can be mass-produced and retail at close to a working man's price. All the products you list have big technical challenges to overcome before they become anything more than vapourware and that is not even taking into consideration end costs and yields.

For instance here is Panasonic's 4K 56" OLED from all the way back at CES 2013 - despite the promises we know that never moved any further than the prototype shown here.

Also worth noting that LG have shown the equivalent of Samsung's Micro-LED wall so they don't seem to be lagging behind - they are pretty much just trolling Samsung at this point.

Yeah, Samsung are paying the price for being too proud to use OLED in their TV's. The fact that all I'm seeing on tv from them is ads for their pointless 8k tv sums it up for them right now.

They may be back on top one day, but not anytime soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom