NEWS: LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Andy. Was this an expected move or a total surprise? Either way, I really like the LG OS & like this move to get it adopted outside the LG World.

Oh, & a tiny observation; you wrote

The music loved dedicated Magic Motion remote controller

It IS musical in it's operation, but I am guessing you were going for something different! :)

chenks

i can't see any TV manufacturer taking up this offer IMO.

they already have the option of using their own or using AndroidTV which has much more developer support and already has a foothold in the TV "operating system" market, which 2 big names using it and a few others moving to it in the past year.

chenks

Maybe a WebOS smart box?

i'd have thought the licensing costs would make that cost prohibitive, but i've not seen what the licensing costs are.

it's costs almost nothing to put android on a smart box, and it has a mature development community for apps.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
So you could potentially end up with a manufacturer using an LG panel, with some of their processing firmware, and now their OS. Interesting.

Manmc

Would also be nice if they opened it up to their own 2016 G6/E6 customers and many others since who are stuck at Web 3.0 . Tvs should only be sold with a built-in likelihood of reasonable updates instead of the current practice of instant obsolescence practiced by Lg and others

M

chenks

Would also be nice if they opened it up to their own 2016 G6/E6 customers and many others since who are stuck at Web 3.0 . Tvs should only be sold with a built-in likelihood of reasonable updates instead of the current practice of instant obsolescence practiced by Lg and others

M

hardware often dictates what can and can't be upgraded.
however, i've said before in other threads, buy a product based on what it can do at the point of purchase, not what it might or might not get in the future.

firmware bugs and security updates should be expected within a reasonable period, but actual "new" features will be limited for various factors.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
hardware often dictates what can and can't be upgraded.
however, i've said before in other threads, buy a product based on hat it can do at the point of purchase, not what it might or might not get in the future.
With the Caveat, surely, that if the manufacturers guarantee a certain feature will be introduced shortly after release, it is worth getting knowing that that will be added

tcp/ip

As a Panasonic OLED owner what I would give to have WebOS on their hardware. The Panasonic platform is awful.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
As a Panasonic OLED owner what I would give to have WebOS on their hardware. The Panasonic platform is awful.
From everything I read here I feel that Panasonic make the best OLED's (Providing you have a wealthy wallet). But their WebOS would always make me pause.

chenks

Haven't Panasonic moved over to using Android TV now?

LX200GPS

they already have the option of using their own or using AndroidTV which has much more developer support and already has a foothold in the TV "operating system" market, which 2 big names using it and a few others moving to it in the past year.
Well, LG never fixed the micro-stutter on my E6. Had plenty of time too.

meduk1

I'm not a big fan of WebOS. Much prefer Android TV and its better range of supported Apps.

WebOS is a lot cleaner I'll give it that, but don't like the App limitation (cannot even get 4OD), or the fact you have to use it with the LG wand remote.

kinggo

well, look at that partners, just some of the shelf neverheardof brands (or defunct then resurrected) that will get "smart" platform but just like LG, will never have to bother with it once it is sold.

paulombsd

Standard Member
i'd have thought the licensing costs would make that cost prohibitive, but i've not seen what the licensing costs are.

it's costs almost nothing to put android on a smart box, and it has a mature development community for apps.
As far as I know, WebOS is open source, so, no licensing costs :)

chenks

As far as I know, WebOS is open source, so, no licensing costs :)

it wasn't up until a few days ago then, so it appears what LG has done is create a separate open source version of WebOS called "WebOS Open Source Edition".

the wording of that makes it sound like it's a different version to what LG themselves will be using. maybe it's just confusing wording, but that's how it reads.

chenks

i remember when WebOS was a mobile phone platform created by Palm which was meant to be the great competitor to Android and iOS.

Palm couldn't make it work (along with their hardware) and HP bought it up. HP then could make it work either and dropped it like a hot stone. It eventually made its way to LG to become the OS for their TVs.

Now LG are trying to do the same as Palm and HP and try and make it competitor to the existing Smart TV OSs, i suspect the end result will be the same as Palm and HP.

one interesting quesiton, if anyeone does decide to use this open source version of WebOS, do they also get access to the LG app store? i assume it won't be free to get access to that.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
well, look at that partners, just some of the shelf neverheardof brands (or defunct then resurrected) that will get "smart" platform but just like LG, will never have to bother with it once it is sold.

Thats the biggest issue with WebOS, the fact that it basically becomes abandon-ware as soon as LG release the TV. They drag their heals even with major bug fixes, sometimes taking years and sometimes never, even though the issue is fixed in new models which are basically the same under the hood. They did eventually add Airplay to the 8 series, but my god they dragged their heals. Could this help change that?

Last edited:

kinggo

Don't see how. It's not that company XYZ will do it for them. And don't see why. People are still buying their TVs even after being pissed because no updates on the one they had before.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Don't see how. It's not that company XYZ will do it for them. And don't see why. People are still buying their TVs even after being pissed because no updates on the one they had before.

To be fair, I didn’t think so. I was just wondering if there is possible trickle-down effect from third party development. But likely you are right, I don’t expect LG to change their business model.

chenks

if anything, because it's open source, you might get someone making a fork and developing their own version, but it seems unlikely as what's the point.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Interesting news , must say I do love the LG webOS and smart remote function as its just so simple and intuitive. Now if Panasonic put it in their TVs , well then I may just get another Panasonic display in the future . Well maybe not as in the past the firmware updates ( many never come that are promised ) are few and far between .

chenks

kinggo

if anything, because it's open source, you might get someone making a fork and developing their own version, but it seems unlikely as what's the point.
there is so many open source software, free operating systems, royalty free stuff........ and somehow we always end up with something that needs license.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors