NEWS: LG OLED TV sales hit 4 million

LG 65B8.

I wouldn’t have anything else

Would be interesting to see how many of their screens have been sold through partners... No doubt that is part of the "decrease" in growth?

55C7, panel replacement due soon, would still rate it the best TV I've owned!

After owning a LGB7, I'd never switch back to a QLED / LED / LCD screen! :)

Same here, I was a hard core Sony fan, but I cant stand the android OS, so I went with the LG, and now I don't think I would choose another TV over the LG OLEDs because they are just a joy to use, the LG webOS operating system in my opinion is the best there is.

65C7 and a 77C8, bedroom and lounge respectively.

Blooming marvellous things they are.:cool:

Had 2 C6. One broke and they couldn’t fit a new 3D screen. So got a refund. It’s by far the best tv I’ve ever owned. The 3D is stunning. I will put the refund to a 65C9.

A number of years ago, when LG had their own sub-forum on these forums, they put on a competition for the best post. I put one up challenging them to stop trying to pretend that they were a high end TV manufacturer and actually become one. I actually won the competition, the prize for which was one of their 32" plasma sets, the smallest plasma TV ever produced, which they delivered to my house and paid for an ISF calibration to be carried out on the set in situ.

I have to say they certainly took up my challenge big style with their OLED TVs and I am currently on my second one, a 55" E6 which is a brilliant TV and probably one of the best 3D sets ever produced.

I take my hat off to them, they are most definitely up there with the very best and, as has already been mentioned in a previous post, their Web-OS is probably the best in the business.

Last edited:
Ever since I made the switch to HDTV's with an LG Plasma (50PB5600) in around 2007 I was disappointed with black levels. I preferred my previous CRT's. I didn't get the hype around HDTV. Great more pixels, but those pixels have no real dynamic range. Real as in real black.

I read about OLED tech around 2008 and a portable media player called the Cowon s9 was launched which had an OLED screen. I immediately ordered. It looked phenomenal. I went through HTC phones that had OLED - all the while hoping a big screen would be available.

Then came the LG 930v. It came into the market at £4k for a 55" TV. Bit too rich for my liking, but then when it dropped to £1.8k I had to buy. Was floored by the quality. And that was coming from a VT50 Plasma which was no slouch for blacks.

Next upgrade was a 65" C6. I bought it for HDR but it made me love 3D instead. Never getting rid of that set as long as it's alive.

Next one will be a 77 c6 in November this year.

LG's the only company that put in the vast capex into the R&D to get this to market so I could afford it. Everytime I use mine I'm blown away.

The whole online TV review/forum community constantly talk about higher nits. LG's the only manufacturer that has tech that dramatically improves ever picture every taken in history. From the Running Horse (1878) to Aquaman (2018)

Next upgrade was a 65" C6. I bought it for HDR but it made me love 3D instead. Never getting rid of that set as long as it's alive.

Next one will be a 77 c6 in November this year.

Not unless you buy a second-hand one ..... maybe try the 3D-free 77C8 or 77C9.

@RXP : Funnily enough, I too purchased the 930V as my first OLED at around the same price point as you and absolutely loved it. Then moved to my E6 for UHD and HDR. It has the best 3D I have ever witnessed and, although I don't watch an awful lot in that format, would not want to lose the capability of doing so as and when the notion strikes me.

We gave the 930V to my wife's mother and it's still working brilliantly for her.

55 A7

An odd TV choice to many people, as it has the guts of a 2014 TV but with a new panel. Our viewing is 80-90% Netflix with a slow internet connection, so max I get is 720p streaming. Didn't really make sense to buy into 4k, so props to LG for seeing there was still a market for 1080p oled

65E6
Can't see myself changing tv's for some time. Still a beauty!

Loved my E6 but it's got to be one of LG most prone for screen burn tv's they have made and had a nightmare with mine from none abused viewing, great TV when new.

Loved my E6 but it's got to be one of LG most prone for screen burn tv's they have made and had a nightmare with mine from none abused viewing, great TV when new.
No sign of screen burn or image retention on my over 2 year old 55" E6 despite watching lots of football and news programs with all their logos and scrolling banners.

I have always wanted an OLED but couldn't justify paying over £2k for a TV. I now have a 65" LG B8 which I managed to get for £1,600 a few weeks ago from RS. I am very happy and would never go back to LCD now.

Irony is that I only discovered OLED thanks to Samsung. I saw their first gen Tab S next to the bigger Note 12.1 Pro and couldn't understand why the Tab S looked more vibrant. When I discovered that the former was made of an OLED panel, I began investigating whether such technology existed in TVs. Proud owner of a 65" E8 here.

Probably will get c9 this year and along side Q90. Ideally I want a electroluminescent display, but least 5 years away

4 million in 6 years well i'm not impressed ! There are around 7 billion people so long away to go from here :p Prices stay high and if Lg was not the only manufacturer of the panels we would have a whole different story. For now they can ask any price so no need to raise hallelujah to them.

Last edited:
Last year's OLED sales was roughly 1.3% of all 4K TV sales.

They still are very very expensive for the average consumer.

I was a Samsung fan, but have to agree . It would have to be something special to make me go back.

I’ve had a Samsung KS9000 for about 3 years. Was by far the best tv I’ve ever owned, I loved it.

Then after 3 years the wide decided to clean the screen obviously differently to how she’d previously been doing it and left a bloody great smear across the middle that showed up on dark screens. That was all the excuse I needed, once I’d seen it, I couldn’t unsee it.

“Well it’s your fault we need a new tv, you put the smear on it” :laugh:

Went for a C8 because I fancied something with DV and also not being too impressed with the way Samsung handled the apparently promised HLG update to their older TVs and then backtracked, also having and issue with a month old microwave and the hoops I had to jump through to get that replaced and the fact that the same time I was taking that back there was a couple in the shop trying to return a 1 day old Samsung tv because it had a green line down the middle and the guy in the shop spending about 30 minutes on the phone with Samsung telling him it would need to go back for repair and they wouldn’t authorise a replacement put me right off Samsung.

Completely blown away by the C8. Watched Pacific Rim Uprising on UHD the other night, plain old HDR, no DV but it was so far in front of what I’d seen on my Samsung which confirmed I’d made the right decision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom