NEWS: LG launches webOS 6.0 for 2021 TV lineup

Really like the look of that remote. Hope there's a chance it'll work with the CX if purchased separately.

notice how almost two thirds of the "home" screen is now taken up with "sponsored" content? essentially adverts.

Hmmm... not sure about WebOS 6.0 but I like that new magic remote - having direct access to Amazon and Disney+ is very handy, as is the Alexa button:clap:.

I may be in the minority but I think that remote is disgusting. In fact I think the magic remotes have got worse in terms of aesthetics; I thought the 2018 magic remote was the best with its chrome look.

I agree they should look more 'premium' especially when you're paying £2k+ for a telly - I was quite disappointed with the one I got with my 65"C9; but the functionality is great.

Was the remote different from the B6 and CX, cant say I noticed a difference. On the C1 remote looks cheaper looking but handy with the apps buttons for those that use them.

i haven't used a TV specific remote for a long time.
Logitech Harmony controls everything for me.

i haven't used a TV specific remote for a long time.
Logitech Harmony controls everything for me.
I get that, but £300 is a lot of dosh!

With the announcement of the bendable and transparent OLEDs and the QNED LCD sets on Monday and this announcement about WebOS and the remote, does this mean the OLED updates are going to be nothing special? Otherwise surely they would have lead with them.

With the announcement of the bendable and transparent OLEDs and the QNED LCD sets on Monday and this announcement about WebOS and the remote, does this mean the OLED updates are going to be nothing special? Otherwise surely they would have lead with them.
Looking at the various reports in the media, I think the bendable and transparent screens are going to be very niche and the QNED's will sit below OLED in LG's range(they are still 'only' mini LED, not micro). So it seems OLED has plenty of life left yet.

IMO by far the nicest interface is on the Apple TV. The Remote is horrible but that doesn't matter so much as the Apple TV works with all modern TV remotes anyway out of the box without any programming.

We have Sony and Samsung 2019 models and hardly ever use their own OS's ... just use connected Apple TV all the times. The screen savers on the Apple TVs are fantastic too.

Question ... does the LG WEB OS do searches across all the installed apps? For example, if you searched for Pulp Fiction would it look through Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC, C4 apps and show you where its available?

Question ... does the LG WEB OS do searches across all the installed apps? For example, if you searched for Pulp Fiction would it look through Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC, C4 apps and show you where its available?

It does on my C8

Sounds like LG aren't going to reveal their OLED lineup until Monday

Having just purchased a 65GX I was a bit apprehensive about what I missed out on with the 2021 range. The WebOS 6 shot looks awful - part of the benefit of the previous WebOS was that you could bring up the menus and WebOS and still see what is happening on-screen. This is starting to look more like the other manufacturers smart TV platforms.

IMO by far the nicest interface is on the Apple TV. The Remote is horrible but that doesn't matter so much as the Apple TV works with all modern TV remotes anyway out of the box without any programming.

We have Sony and Samsung 2019 models and hardly ever use their own OS's ... just use connected Apple TV all the times. The screen savers on the Apple TVs are fantastic too.

For someone who is interested in getting an Apple TV Set Top Box for the first time, its the Apple TV UI that will be seen once plugged into the TV and then everything is controlled from there. Is that right ?

Keep an eye on Amazon (and the warehouse) - the Harmony Elite routinely goes for ~£120

May I ask:-

Is the Harmony Elite version the one to get ?

How do you know the authenticity of the ones posted on Amazon (is it from the Official Logitech Store on Amazon UK) ?

What is the difference between Amazon and its Warehouse kindly ?

May I ask:-

Is the Harmony Elite version the one to get ?

How do you know the authenticity of the ones posted on Amazon (is it from the Official Logitech Store on Amazon UK) ?

What is the difference between Amazon and its Warehouse kindly ?

There are various Harmony options available, either separately or in bundles. The full set (Elite) includes the harmony hub and the touchscreen remote. If you are happy using you device (phone or tablet) exclusively, then the hub is the cheapest version to get. So long as you buy from Amazon or Amazon Warehouse then you will be ok - it's the third party sellers you need to watch out for. Warehouse is how Amazon sell on customer returns.

Having just purchased a 65GX I was a bit apprehensive about what I missed out on with the 2021 range. The WebOS 6 shot looks awful - part of the benefit of the previous WebOS was that you could bring up the menus and WebOS and still see what is happening on-screen. This is starting to look more like the other manufacturers smart TV platforms.

It's great that webOS 6.0 displays the outside temperature, just what you need when you sit down for a cozy night in to watch a movie.:laugh:
I agree it doesn't look that great, but I guess it will be customisable, but yeah manufacturers need to stop making everything look like a smart phone, its a TV!

The new remote gets my thumbs up. As for the new WebOS interface, I’ll wait and see. I’m not a fan of a screen load of ads. As for older sets getting WebOS 6, I doubt it. LG has got to have something to encourage you to spend your money on. I can pretty much guarantee that the whizzy new TVs still won’t address things things like the lip sync problems that many LG owners experience, support DTS codecs or have a properly working eARC implementation, but I’m happy to be proved wrong.

For someone who is interested in getting an Apple TV Set Top Box for the first time, its the Apple TV UI that will be seen once plugged into the TV and then everything is controlled from there. Is that right ?

Yes that is correct. You plug the AppleTV into one of your TVs (or Soundbar in our case) HDMIs and on your TV select that HDMI as the Source and you are away.

If you have a video collection then it also has an application called Infuse which is like Plex but IMO way better and requires no server.

Note that a negative about the AppleTV is that, as things stand, you don't get Atmos when playing your own video files via Plex, Infuse etc. However Atmos is supported by it's apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ etc.

Another thumbs up for Apple TV 4K. I haven't used any of my LG C8's built-in apps since I got the Apple 4K when it launched. The experience with the Apple TV is much smoother, and the quality in terms of correct frame rates and colour space is great.

The only built-in LG app I use occasionally is iPlayer, since the beta version for LG OLEDs supports UHD streams where available e.g. His Dark Materials, which to me looked better streamed than it did when broadcast.

I'm also enjoying Infuse on AppleTV, which streams my own video work from a NAS server at home. I used to use Plex but I seem to be unable to access or revive my online account and as a result its now totally non-functional - not impressed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom