NEWS: LG launches brighter G1 plus 83-inch C1 OLED TVs for 2021

Surely the AI picture detection is for people who don't want calibration? After all, an accurate picture doesn't change depending on what kind of content you are watching does it?

The only content I consume is via Apple TV 4K and Xbox Series X, both output in 4K all the time. So my TV would never upscale anything. Could I even benefit from TV chip advancements?

Thanks for the link. You know what after digesting more info over the last 2 days that G1 is a beautiful looking display with real nice specs. For me right now the main contenders are Sony a90j 83 and LG G1 77.
can't wait to find out if the A90J uses this same new panel.
I'd be happy with either of the above 2 TVs tbh.

arent the sonys supposed to have better picture processing than the lG's ? your list is the same as mine, although i would add the panasonic this year to that list although the panasonic's often start quite expensive

arent the sonys supposed to have better picture processing than the lG's ? your list is the same as mine, although i would add the panasonic this year to that list although the panasonic's often start quite expensive
I wouldn't like to say or not if the processing is any better on either as I'd no doubt be bombarded by owners and labelled a fanboy :D
The g1 looks real nice from what I've seen so far, loving the added gaming features and LG always have good spec like hdmi 2.1 for all 4 ports, nvidia gsync etc.
Most interested to see what these new gen 2 panels are like though:thumbsup:

yes the G1 will be a beauty when its hung on the wall. ive always had Panasonics...and this years has eveything i want and with the inclusion of gaming modes and low lag and VRR it sounds fantastic...although in my experience firmware fixes and customer service leaves little to be desired if there is a problem...LG seems to be pro active with the firmware fixes..such as the recent update which dimmed HDR mode in gaming a fix is coming this week i think. not sure about panel uniformity, tinting , banding etc though..i haven't owned an OLED yet and micro LED for the consumer seems years off, if at all for 65/75"

Surely the AI picture detection is for people who don't want calibration? After all, an accurate picture doesn't change depending on what kind of content you are watching does it?
The AI malarkey by LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic etc is just marketing buzz nonsense! To attract the normal buyers who don't have a clue about picture settings or how to set up a tv properly.

LG's AI picture detection and all the other AI stuff is nothing like calibration. And it doesn't deliver a image as originally intended like LG wrongly claim.

It's the complete opposite - An inaccurate picture as it uses artificial digital noise reduction, artificial detail enhancement and artificial edge enhancement sharpening.
PicsArt_01-14-03.12.11.jpg

As others have previously said turn off all the AI junk in the picture settings 👍🏾 if you can't get it calibrated then use Filmmaker mode for dvd, blu ray & 4k blu ray movies. Which gives a very faithful authentic picture as the director intended.

Last edited:
This is interesting and raises questions about the G1, all areas and wording point to there only being a wall mount or optional new stand but not the usual small legs as a stand like in other models, yet look at LGs own page and you have the option to see what the G1 looks like on traditional stand legs:

Life is ON #LG@CES2021

and if they really are available from LG then awesome as I want a G1 on my tv cabinet, preferably without the need of a 3rd party vesa mount stand.

if this promotional material and other lg promo showing G1 TVs with legs is just that, promotional and not available with retail units (even if optional or extra) when they come out then that’s very misleading.

Attachments

• C2449EFF-3CE6-4E6B-865A-9CF5CB459BBB.jpeg
    C2449EFF-3CE6-4E6B-865A-9CF5CB459BBB.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
and if they really are available from LG then awesome as I want a G1 on my tv cabinet, preferably without the need of a 3rd party vesa mount stand.
LG actually sell a separate stand for the 2020 Gallery G series OLEDs that fits on a tv cabinet. They sold it directly plus also available from a few online retailers. A similar stand will likely be available for the 2021 LG Gallery G1 OLEDs -
PicsArt_01-17-03.44.51.jpg

PicsArt_01-17-03.58.48.jpg

LG don't really mention the available separate stand. As they are pushing marketing the Gallery G Series OLEDs to be wall mounted like a picture frame. Or used with the contemporary LG floor stand.

Last edited:

Closest I got to this answer was a guy on AVS forums he owned a 2019 Sony OLED and had a 2020 LG oled panel, he said the Sony processing is excellent, but the LG CX had caught up and no real major difference anymore.

I wouldn't like to say or not if the processing is any better on either as I'd no doubt be bombarded by owners and labelled a fanboy :D

Still waiting for VT to do a sony vs lg showdown, he cheated in a recent video and said Sony offers the best motion processing but no CX panel present, so I call shenanigans !

LG actually sell a separate stand for the 2020 Gallery G series OLEDs that fits on a tv cabinet. They sold it directly plus also available from a few online retailers. A similar stand will likely be available for the 2021 LG Gallery G1 OLEDs -

That sounds promising, a 55 inch G1 is almost a definite buy from me if I can easily get the feet/stand with it, yay

i wish G1 was GX lol Could have bought it last year when I wasnt buying a house!

I was about to pull the trigger on a 55" CX for gaming, but was wondering if it's worth holding out for the new tv's? I couldn't find a release date?

I was about to pull the trigger on a 55" CX for gaming, but was wondering if it's worth holding out for the new tv's? I couldn't find a release date?

LG has started to list the C1 and G1 on their website, we also know Sonys new OLED is already up for pre-order on a US website.

Id butcher a wild guess between around April-May time frame, yet at the same time given TV sales must be at an all time high I would have thought they would ramp it up maybe quicker even.

LG has started to list the C1 and G1 on their website, we also know Sonys new OLED is already up for pre-order on a US website.

Id butcher a wild guess between around April-May time frame, yet at the same time given TV sales must be at an all time high I would have thought they would ramp it up maybe quicker even.

I coudnt find the link with the 2021 TV's - please could you provide a link when you get a chance. Thanks

I coudnt find the link with the 2021 TV's - please could you provide a link when you get a chance. Thanks

I think it was just 2 models not full series but here they are:

if you scroll at bottom it does mention other sizes for c1, yeah bit tricky to find them on LG site actually there could be other links even I find it hard to find them.

But last year was GX, G1 should be just little bit more expensive than GX. C1 will be little cheaper, than CX

I really hope LG hasn't just wiped the CX with an 1 and added the new processor/Ai as its general difference.

I actually feel 2021s models is a bit poorer to 2020 CX/GX series, wish they made a 48" Evo panel and kept a high level panel quality between C1 and G1 series for better flexibility wallet wise. If they are however making the 42" OLED with Evo panels that changes things.

I really hope LG hasn't just wiped the CX with an 1 and added the new processor/Ai as its general difference.

I actually feel 2021s models is a bit poorer to 2020 CX/GX series, wish they made a 48" Evo panel and kept a high level panel quality between C1 and G1 series for better flexibility wallet wise. If they are however making the 42" OLED with Evo panels that changes things.
tbh I'd say that exactly what the C1 model is for 2021.. Same panel but the new gen 4 processor.
G1 evo will be the LG to go for. No 48" as you say though.

I’m assuming the C1 will be the same panel (same 2021 panel) as every other manufacturer. Maybe they will restore the full bandwidth hdmi ports. Like every year, ever so slightly better than last..ever so slightly. WebOS will be interesting, will the C2 reverse it:)

I’m assuming the C1 will be the same panel (same 2021 panel) as every other manufacturer. Maybe they will restore the full bandwidth hdmi ports. Like every year, ever so slightly better than last..ever so slightly. WebOS will be interesting, will the C2 reverse it:)
Are you planning on a new tv this year mate?

We need a betting line if LG introduce full bandwidth 48gbps hdmi 2.1 ports for 2021, probably the Evo panels will have it to tempt people to get buy the version they wanted.

Is it me or is the newer model of just about everything always what the previous model should have been ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom