NEWS: LG launches brighter G1 plus 83-inch C1 OLED TVs for 2021

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This new panel has optimised a new luminous element which increases the panel brightness, using newly developed and highly efficient materials as well as the addition of a layer to the display, which presumably increases the peak brightness performance for HDR content.

For something that reviewers and others keep telling us is not very important, manufacturers seem to be spend a lot of time and money on it. I know the counter-argument but it's just an observation.

Lol - guess who's just bought a GX? I'm guessing that the G1 is not that much brighter as they didn't give any stats (e.g. 20% brighter). As for improved colours, I didn't think there was any issue with that on the 2019/2020 range.

My thoughts are that the main benefit of the extra layer (UDC's cube light extraction layer?) and higher efficiency are to further prevent burn-in and panel aging. They can't really say that as it would cast doubt on the previous ranges. Let's see what happens as more details come out.

The fact that LG UK say they 'hope' Freeview Play will feature tells me they still haven't struck a deal. Can't say I'm that fussed as my streaming box can pick this up.

Great stuff, if this G1 panel is what Sony are getting, this is a great advancement. Look forward to seeing them in the flesh

Hopefully LG can finally sort out there raised black nonsense with there D.vision

Won't touch this unless it has Freeview Play. What about DTS? Has this also missing this year? Full fat HDMI 2.1?
However, I do like that optional stand, is this going to be available for other models?

Lol - guess who's just bought a GX? I'm guessing that the G1 is not that much brighter as they didn't give any stats (e.g. 20% brighter). As for improved colours, I didn't think there was any issue with that on the 2019/2020 range.

The custom/Evo panels will go ~20% brighter, that's been covered in other articles. And in the case of the Sony A90J at least (The LG articles are light on details from LG themselves), it can boost W+R+G+B sub-pixels, whereas even the Panasonic GZ/HZ/JZ2000 models only boost the white sub-pixel, so this could be a nice upgrade for one of WRGB OLED's biggest weaknesses; colour volume. I don't expect it to suddenly fix the issue, just having the white sub-pixel there hinders volume significantly, but every little helps.

Great stuff, if this G1 panel is what Sony are getting, this is a great advancement. Look forward to seeing them in the flesh

Only the C1 is getting the 83" panel, but without the heatsink/temperature monitoring stuff that the Sony has, so the A90J is the only OLED choice really (so far) for anyone wanting an 83" OLED with the best/brightest panel.

Can't say the LG launch has me excited anywhere near as much as Sony's, plus if there isn't a normal cabinet stand for the G1, then that rules it out for me, so still looks like it's the A90J for me.

The custom/Evo panels will go ~20% brighter, that's been covered in other articles. And in the case of the Sony A90J at least (The LG articles are light on details from LG themselves), it can boost W+R+G+B sub-pixels, whereas even the Panasonic GZ/HZ/JZ2000 models only boost the white sub-pixel, so this could be a nice upgrade for one of WRGB OLED's biggest weaknesses; colour volume. I don't expect it to suddenly fix the issue, just having the white sub-pixel there hinders volume significantly, but every little helps.

Only the C1 is getting the 83" panel, but without the heatsink/temperature monitoring stuff that the Sony has, so the A90J is the only OLED choice really (so far) for anyone wanting an 83" OLED with the best/brightest panel.

Can't say the LG launch has me excited anywhere near as much as Sony's, plus if there isn't a normal cabinet stand for the G1, then that rules it out for me, so still looks like it's the A90J for me.
It’s a shame Sony are not bringing out the A90 in 77”. So it appears everyone is doing something a bit like Panasonic but Sony may be doing more?

This is exactly how I feel about the LG launch. Plus that stand for the G1 is a matter of taste and not in any way practical for buyers who want to use their AV cabinet unless you can also purchase a table top stand separately which so far seems not.
For me the Sony A90J has got me the most excited and looks to be the OLED for 2021.

So we have the same age old problem, do we commit now when the prices are just affordable or wait another 10/12 months for the new ones to drop in price and are the newer ones actually going to be significantly better?

Have been holding on for a 77" GX OLED which can now be had for around the £4300 mark, still very expensive but a lot more affordable that the original £6K release price.

I take it that the new G1 is the direct replacement for the existing GX? That being the case is it known if it will retain the same wall mounted fixing that is provided on the current GX's as well as the new floor stand, also what is going to be the likely release price, > £6K?

Looking forward to seeing these running in person but so far the G1 77" is looking like the best option.

The G1 Feet can be put closer unlike GX.

But I'm going with A90J 83". Like others here, I prefer the Sony announcement.

Got my eye on the 83inch! Nice upgrade from the 77!

I wonder how much these new LG G1 EVO series 55inch, 65inch, 77inch OLEDs will cost when released here in the UK. I'm buying a new 65inch tv around spring time but will just buy a 2020 OLED model if the 65inch G1 is super expensive. And not a decent improvement (at least 20%) in brightness for 4k HDR/Dolby Vision.

Found this scouring the web. Different words but still very ambiguous:

"The OLED evo emits light with more precise wavelength control, expressing a brighter and clearer picture quality compared to existing LG OLED screens," reports EKN.kr.

Paul

Hopefully Vincent from HDTVTest or someone from this forum can provide more clarification on the EVO panel / G1. Is this same as A90J?

Yeah, this will be all about costs for me to finally change from my C8 65 - fingers crossed, was waiting for a >80+ OLED to show up rather than going down the UST projector route!

"The C1 will be debuting in the UK soon"

I wonder how soon they will be released, I'm in the market for a new TV and look forward to getting more details.

Hopefully, Vincent or someone from this forum can provide more clarification on the EVO panel / G1. Is this same as A90J?
We were all at the same briefing and all given the same vague information on the technical aspects of the OLED EVO panels. However, I expect there to be a further UK launch event in the near future where we will be given more information and access to engineers before these TVs are released for review/sale. I suspect it is similar to the Sony A90J, but until that is clarified and confirmed, it is all speculation at the moment.

That's what I'm thinking, LGD make this new evo panel and LG/Sony are going to use it on their flagships. There might be confusion (and rightly so...and in their favour) that this is their attempt to copy the Panasonics custom panel, but it sounds like a completely different tech being used.

Edit - Robert Zohn suggests (although not confirmed, it is very similar to Panasonics configuration)

Also explains why what seemed a strange statement from Panasonic now makes more sense - the JZ2000 is touted by Panasonic as being the only TV in 2021 to have as high a peak brightness with HDR

Last edited:
It seem that the LG is adopting a different approach to Sony & Panasonic, to increase the brightness of its panels.

Not using heatsink fans but in manufacturing process of the panel itself. We need to know more surely.

Wonder what price point this new 83" OLED comes in at...

That's what I'm thinking, LGD make this new evo panel and LG/Sony are going to use it on their flagships. There might be confusion (and rightly so...and in their favour) that this is their attempt to copy the Panasonics custom panel, but it sounds like a completely different tech being used.
Also explains why what seemed a strange statement from Panasonic now makes more sense - the JZ2000 is touted by Panasonic as being the only TV in 2021 to have as high a peak brightness with HDR
I think the A90J will be serious contender for brightest OLED.

I think the A90J will be serious contender for brightest OLED.
Hopefully, and hopefully some clarification soon, is the Sony using the same as the LG or Panasonic. It’s all a positive step forward either way..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom