NEWS: LG launches brighter G1 plus 83-inch C1 OLED TVs for 2021

fluxedman

found some other info here but not sure if its correct or not.

Mentioned in a chart that the C1 and G1 will have hdmi 2.1a and also 48Gbps ports

Also new processor will have better motion processing and dynamic scene processing

Mike J Au

Lg also mentions Stadia support/app which is redundant now since google is shutting stadia down, so hopefully Lg removes it and doesn’t waste any more time on Stadia support on their TVs.

ozthegweat

Lg also mentions Stadia support/app which is redundant now since google is shutting stadia down, so hopefully Lg removes it and doesn’t waste any more time on Stadia support on their TVs.
Google is shutting down their own game studios that have been developing games for Stadia, not the service itself.

v8hawkeman

I'm presuming the 77" G1 will have the same 300mm VESA mount as the GX. Has anybody mounted a 77" GX on a VESA stand? I've looked on the web and can't find anyone that has done it. Just wanted to look at a few pics and learn of any pit falls. Would be nice to see a rear view of the new 3 legged stand to see if LG are using the standard VESA mount.

fluxedman

Those prices from flatpanel website are worse, £200 more for the C1-48inch @£1650, hopefully not some tax/brexit charge.

Looking forward to the LG UK prices and hopefully its £1450 or under £1500

v8hawkeman

I'm presuming the 77" G1 will have the same 300mm VESA mount as the GX. Has anybody mounted a 77" GX on a VESA stand? I've looked on the web and can't find anyone that has done it. Just wanted to look at a few pics and learn of any pit falls. Would be nice to see a rear view of the new 3 legged stand to see if LG are using the standard VESA mount.
The B&O stands only go up to the 65". Is this because of stability? We don't know whether the LG stand for the G1 will not be suitable for the 77". Not that I want either the B&O or LG stands.:)

k-spin

Those prices from flatpanel website are worse, £200 more for the C1-48inch @£1650, hopefully not some tax/brexit charge.

Looking forward to the LG UK prices and hopefully its £1450 or under £1500
They're German prices in Euros so 1650 Euros comes out as about £1445 at today's exchange rate (that's not to say that will be the UK RRP though).

Lvrhs

In Germany launch prices are higher compared to other countries.
We need to compare prices to last years Germany.
And G1 will be cheaper that GX!!!
Expect in Black Friday 77 inch G1 to be below 4000 Euro/Pounds.
77 inch C1 could be close to 2500, and 83 inch below 5000

sprinta

In Germany launch prices are higher compared to other countries.
We need to compare prices to last years Germany.
And G1 will be cheaper that GX!!!
Expect in Black Friday 77 inch G1 to be below 4000 Euro/Pounds.
77 inch C1 could be close to 2500, and 83 inch below 5000

So now the great dilemma. You can currently get a 77" GX for around the £4K mark and I have been planning to take the plunge, going from a 65" E7 to the 77"GX would be a worth while improvement for me, anyway, though in actual picture quality probably not that significant?

So will the G1 provide a significant improvement in picture quality to justify waiting for and what are the actual UK prices going to be? Having to wait another 9 to 12 months is clearly a pain, hence the dilemma.

Hopefully there will be some comparison out soon before the current models and low price disappear to help make the decision.

Lvrhs

Improvements shouldn't be that noticable on G1. But better lets see reviews. At launch price will be huge

fluxedman

So now the great dilemma. You can currently get a 77" GX for around the £4K mark and I have been planning to take the plunge, going from a 65" E7 to the 77"GX would be a worth while improvement for me, anyway, though in actual picture quality probably not that significant?

So will the G1 provide a significant improvement in picture quality to justify waiting for and what are the actual UK prices going to be? Having to wait another 9 to 12 months is clearly a pain, hence the dilemma.

Hopefully there will be some comparison out soon before the current models and low price disappear to help make the decision.

If you are looking at spending 4K anyhow, id save up for the G1 panels which should be more improved picture quality then CX, GX and even the newer C1s arriving. Just feels to spend that much you would want to have the best picture quality going if you can, still if size and price is your preference those are important also.

No UK release dates or prices, the above are just German prices so nothing concrete yet probably end of March and April we should have something better.

Id still wait for actual reviews of G1 and C1s, its possible as with any product you get a fair amount of marketing talk so if the improvements are worth it over say the cheaper GX/CX series we would then know.

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
G1/C1 reviews will be interesting, will it be like the Panasonic siblings over the last few years...

sprinta

If you are looking at spending 4K anyhow, id save up for the G1 panels which should be more improved picture quality then CX, GX and even the newer C1s arriving. Just feels to spend that much you would want to have the best picture quality going if you can, still if size and price is your preference those are important also.

No UK release dates or prices, the above are just German prices so nothing concrete yet probably end of March and April we should have something better.

Id still wait for actual reviews of G1 and C1s, its possible as with any product you get a fair amount of marketing talk so if the improvements are worth it over say the cheaper GX/CX series we would then know.
logically that is the right approach. I just hope that there will be some reviews between the G1 & C1 and the outgoing GX/CX's while the current models are available? Would be well peed off if the G1's don't offer a significant improvement in picture quality over the C1's and GX's which also needs to be balanced against the actual UK prices for the new models.

fluxedman

logically that is the right approach. I just hope that there will be some reviews between the G1 & C1 and the outgoing GX/CX's while the current models are available? Would be well peed off if the G1's don't offer a significant improvement in picture quality over the C1's and GX's which also needs to be balanced against the actual UK prices for the new models.

Should happen more easily, youtubers will dig deep into if Evo panels to see if they are better id hate for it just to be more brighter but wont be surprised if its almost just that.

I have the CX and its more then bright enough for normal viewing habits be it SDR or HDR in fact I have to turn it all the way down for comfortable viewing.

kc44135

Standard Member
So, I had a question. These new G1 OLED's are capable of higher brightness, but going off RTings own burn in tests, a higher brightness on it's own likely leads to faster burn in, and the G1 lacks the heatsink technology found in Panasonic and Sony's OLED's that are meant to balance this out, correct? So would a G1 be more at risk of screen burn than a C1 or other OLED's?

James C

So, I had a question. These new G1 OLED's are capable of higher brightness, but going off RTings own burn in tests, a higher brightness on it's own likely leads to faster burn in, and the G1 lacks the heatsink technology found in Panasonic and Sony's OLED's that are meant to balance this out, correct? So would a G1 be more at risk of screen burn than a C1 or other OLED's?

Nope - the G1 is using a more efficient OLED panel (around 20%). It could therefore go around 20% brighter whilst using the same amount of power than the C1 presumably, and therefore 20% brighter whilst generating a similar amount of heat.

kc44135

Standard Member
Nope - the G1 is using a more efficient OLED panel (around 20%). It could therefore go around 20% brighter whilst using the same amount of power than the C1 presumably, and therefore 20% brighter whilst generating a similar amount of heat.
Ah, so the panel itself is more efficient, interesting!

sprinta

I guess a good question to ask is if you sat a 1000 nit max panel next to a 800 nit max panel, fed from the same source, say sky SD and HD programs and 4K programs, would you actually be able to notice any difference?

Whilst the panels may have different max nit levels you would not be watching at those levels all the time, which would controlled/dictated by the program requirements or would the higher nit panel provide better brightness and contrast etc?

UpgradingAgain

I guess a good question to ask is if you sat a 1000 nit max panel next to a 800 nit max panel, fed from the same source, say sky SD and HD programs and 4K programs, would you actually be able to notice any difference?

Whilst the panels may have different max nit levels you would not be watching at those levels all the time, which would controlled/dictated by the program requirements or would the higher nit panel provide better brightness and contrast etc?
I asked the same thing on this or other thread because people are very ‘nit excitable’ at present but in real world when and where would you notice apart from perhaps a side by side direct comparison? Do people notice 800 vs 1000 nits in their own environment?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
If you look at Phil’s Panasonic reviews he mentions difference between the higher but panels in the real world.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

Can you advise which Panasonic review that was?
you can jump to

But the main event for the HZ2000 has to be the Custom Professional OLED panel, which is where the development in picture quality has been made.

Panasonic HZ2000 (TX-55HZ2000) 4K OLED TV Review

And from the year before

Moving to side-by-side comparisons with its peers, the GZ2000 was excellent when compared to the Philips OLED854, LG C9, and Panasonic GZ950.

Leading to With the GZ950 and GZ2000 side-by-side,

sprinta

Thanks.

On reading it does seem that the 20% increase in brightness does not necessarily bring the quantum leap that you may expect from the sales hype, particularly if you are just using it for "normal" tv viewing? So it just adds to the dilemma of grabbing a GX now or wait another year for the G1 which may or may not be at a lower price than the current GX's can be had for or actually provide a significant improvement in picture quality that is really noticeable?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021