NEWS: LG launches brighter G1 plus 83-inch C1 OLED TVs for 2021

Lvrhs

yeah but it always drops at the end of the year is my point so those looking to spend under 3.5k on the 77 OLED will need to wait until end of the year for the C1 77 to become similar price to what CX is now.

I don't see a reason, why someone should buy C1 this year before Black friday. Better buy CX at discounted price, probably it is 99.9% as good as C1.

BRAKKUS1

Distinguished Member
By the sounds of it, definitely not a good year to do a like for like trade up (CX-C1) if G series and up get the new brighter panel, what on earth is left for rest? CX is so fully featured, very difficult to see where they can improve things, aside from VRR.

Shinobix23

Can you please confirm what type of panel does de C1 and G1 have, 10 or 12 bit? Also, what about the hdmi 48gbps bandwidth for this year's models?

kiran_mk2

I suspect the details abouth the new range will come out slowly. My guess is no VRR-flicker fix, no DTS, retains 40 Gbps HDMI 2.1 chip and uncertainty on Freeview Play. No doubt LG will be inundated with questions about this from the tech blogs.

stuartam_81

Standard Member
Hopefully they will add a 48” G1.

Shinobix23

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-11 at 6.39.12 PM.jpeg

kiran_mk2

For those that didn't catch the FOMO livestream this evening with Robert Zohn (head of Value Electronics who has many contacts in the major CE companies) who revealed that the G1 panels will target 900-1000 nits peak brightness (I suspect this will be a bit lower when calibrated) via a similar heatsink to Panasonic, harder driven panel and realignment of sub-pixels. The A1 series will have HDMI 2.0b/60 Hz input and the input lag on 2021 model has been lowered further from last year. No news on HDMI 2.1 bandwidth yet.

Rambo

I purchased my 77 GX 3 months ago. I don’t think I’m missing out by not waiting a little longer for this years model, got it at a reduced price. It’s pretty bright as far as I’m concerned, I don’t feel I need it any brighter.

I’ve only seen the VRR flicker on call of duty and it was only when the menu screen was loading and initially after it loaded then it seemed to stop. Never seen it during any gameplay which is important.
I sense the catch up apps will be missing again.
Pushing out virtual 5.1.2, it will still sound sh*te compared to any sound system.
83 is just too big for my wall. LG launches never sound like they have advanced that much from previous years anymore. I would be inclined to get a CX, GX when the price drops further over the new line up.

adbailey18

Shame LG have decided to make the C1 different to the other models this time, in effect it has become the new B1.

Looks like I'll be skipping this year's upgrade!

almightygoodgod

For something that reviewers and others keep telling us is not very important, manufacturers seem to be spend a lot of time and money on it. I know the counter-argument but it's just an observation.
As someone with an extremely bright living room it is the reason I picked a QLED over an OLED. I kind of regretted my decision until a neighbour a couple of floors down bought an LG (CX?). He let me view it on a sunny afternoon and it was far more difficult to see with far more reflections. Although hands down his is better at night viewing I couldn't put up with the washed out viewing in the daytime. Hopefully the new LGs brightness makes this something of a non issue and I can consider one in the future.

Disclaimer - I am in an equatorial country with glass balcony doors at the side of the living so I guess this is more of an issue for me than most.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I wonder if the 2022 range (at least C upwards) will be evo or is this their new strategy.

A/B entry with older processors/chipsets/60Hz panel, C latest everything but standard panel (albeit 120Hz), G latest everything with evo panel.

It will help shift G units and may persuade happy older C series owners to upgrade or for 2021 may make some sit it out to see what they are up to. Have they looked at Panasonic’s sales of the HZ and thought, there’s a market to be had or is it simply a natural panel progression from LGD?

Looking forward to the hands on to see if there really is a gen 2 panel or it’s just marketing in tuff times ..

Enapace

I wonder if the 2022 range (at least C upwards) will be evo or is this their new strategy.

A/B entry with older processors/chipsets/60Hz panel, C latest everything but standard panel (albeit 120Hz), G latest everything with evo panel.

It will help shift G units and may persuade happy older C series owners to upgrade or for 2021 may make some sit it out to see what they are up to. Have they looked at Panasonic’s sales of the HZ and thought, there’s a market to be had or is it simply a natural panel progression from LGD?

Looking forward to the hands on to see if there really is a gen 2 panel or it’s just marketing in tuff times ..

But shame they don’t include a stand as not everyone wall mounts a tv and is an extra expense if you want the better panel

steviedr

Distinguished Member
But shame they don’t include a stand as not everyone wall mounts a tv and is an extra expense if you want the better panel
I agree, but at least those who wall mount aren’t dumping and unwanted stand, so there is a waste benefit.

Solidmedia

Is it just me or are LG trying to confuse with their model numbers this year. From the first announcements yesterday I though I understood there was a C series, G series and A series (B in europe) Some sites are reporting there will be A, B, C & G series in Europe with the A being a 50/60hz panel, the rest being 120hz. The B series will only be available in 55", 65" and 77". So what's the difference between that and the C series screen (other than the 83" C series)?

Rambo

I’m suspect to how much brighter it really is, I bet it’s not massive, they would have given a percentage of it was a large jump.

Jake87

Did you really expect to get the new brighter panel in the C1, in the same price bracket as the CX? That stuff doesn’t come for free.

No not really I guess. But now C1 feels like an B-model.
Would hope that C1 could produce more brightness than CX = improved.
But lets see the reviews:)

Metalex

No not really I guess. But now C1 feels like an B-model.
Would hope that C1 could produce more brightness than CX = improved.
But lets see the reviews:)
It's not really a B model, as it gets the same processor as the high-end models, unlike the B which has a cutdown version compared to the rest.

I'm not convinced it'll be any brighter, as the panel tech is essentially the same. There might be some processing improvements to boost it slightly, but I'm sure it won't be night and day.

Jake87

It's not really a B model, as it gets the same processor as the high-end models, unlike the B which has a cutdown version compared to the rest.

I'm not convinced it'll be any brighter, as the panel tech is essentially the same. There might be some processing improvements to boost it slightly, but I'm sure it won't be night and day.
What price range do you see G1 65”?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett