NEWS: LG launches brighter G1 plus 83-inch C1 OLED TVs for 2021

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Just found this

Prebo

The wall mount from the Gallery series can now be used on the C's, at least on the 83.

LG83.png

nekromantik

i knew the C series wont have the brighter panel.
I cant go for the Sony as 77 is max size for me and 83 is too big and most likely will be similar price to G1 series. Cant afford that!

Jake87

Waiting for clarification on C1 vs G1. Cost contra picture quality etc.

My feeling right now is that I have to buy the G1 because little improvement for C1 vs CX.

Waiting for clarification on C1 vs G1. Cost contra picture quality etc.

My feeling right now is that I have to buy the G1 because little improvement for C1 vs CX.

I wonder if the C1 will get the ASTC 3.0 tuner like the GX got, definitely good for future proofing.

For me I want full 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports (or at least 1) and the ASTC 3.0 tuner.

La Finta Nonna

I too am curious as to what the launch price of the 83 incher is also curious as to its weight. Anyone wall hanging that monster could be in for a nasty surprise.

kiran_mk2

The custom/Evo panels will go ~20% brighter, that's been covered in other articles. And in the case of the Sony A90J at least (The LG articles are light on details from LG themselves), it can boost W+R+G+B sub-pixels, whereas even the Panasonic GZ/HZ/JZ2000 models only boost the white sub-pixel, so this could be a nice upgrade for one of WRGB OLED's biggest weaknesses; colour volume. I don't expect it to suddenly fix the issue, just having the white sub-pixel there hinders volume significantly, but every little helps.

That was LG Display (the panel makers) who gave the information this information and it wasn't 20% brighter, it was 20% more luminous efficacy (i.e. higher lm/W). It's up to their customers (LG Electronics, Sony etc) to decide how to use this increased panel efficiency - some may decide to raise the brightness and keep the same lifetime, some may decide to keep the brightness the same and improve the lifetime and some may do both. The fact that LG Electronics (the TV makers) haven't put a figure on how much brighter the panel gets my spider-sense tingling. I think we will have to wait for the reviews to see how much brighter it goes.

I'd be very surprised if the Panasonic could only boost the white - all the 4 OLED sub-pixels are white and three have R, G or B colour filters. The heatsink will likewise cover the whole panel so there is no reason that all the subpixels can't scale brighter.

I will be very interested to see the brightness levels across the panel customers' sets. Are they using the old (C1) panels, the old panels with heatsink, the new (G1) panels or the new panels with heatsink.

kiran_mk2

Found this scouring the web. Different words but still very ambiguous:

"The OLED evo emits light with more precise wavelength control, expressing a brighter and clearer picture quality compared to existing LG OLED screens," reports EKN.kr.

Paul

I read this as meaning they have some new emitters (and/or colour filters) that have a narrower spectrum to create purer red, green and/or blue light.

Enapace

This has been interested I’ve had my finger on buying a 48 inch CX this year but I’ve held off is the G1 coming in a 48 inch model ?

Enapace

LG's US website seems to suggest that 55" is the smallest G1:

Thanks that’s a shame I may just try and see if the 48 Inch CX drops a little in price before it gets discontinued as it seems there is no love this year for a 48 inch OLED as Sony and Panasonic don’t even seem be selling one at all and LG only doing it on theworse OLED screen.

Enapace

I was under the impression that effectively this only impacts 12 bit color, and the benefit is dubious with these 10-bit panels (and processors?). Am I off base here?

That is the case your not going see a difference between 40 and 48 on a 4K 10 Bit screen.

gfreek

So we have the same age old problem, do we commit now when the prices are just affordable or wait another 10/12 months for the new ones to drop in price and are the newer ones actually going to be significantly better?

Have been holding on for a 77" GX OLED which can now be had for around the £4300 mark, still very expensive but a lot more affordable that the original £6K release price.

I take it that the new G1 is the direct replacement for the existing GX? That being the case is it known if it will retain the same wall mounted fixing that is provided on the current GX's as well as the new floor stand, also what is going to be the likely release price, > £6K?

LG are notorious for dropping their prices on OLED TV's, they usually re-position their prices every 3-4 months. So I would suggest to wait no rush to buy upon launch.

Enapace

LG are notorious for dropping their prices on OLED TV's, they usually re-position their prices every 3-4 months. So I would suggest to wait no rush to buy upon launch.

Agreed only one that hasn’t had a sizeable drop in price is the 48 inch

nekromantik

The 77 inch CX not seen that much drops. Only in December did it drop to £3500 and now can pick it up for £3300. I suspect 77 C1 will be £4999 at launch and wont see price drop below 4k until Black Friday 2021.

Enapace

The 77 inch CX not seen that much drops. Only in December did it drop to £3500 and now can pick it up for £3300. I suspect 77 C1 will be £4999 at launch and wont see price drop below 4k until Black Friday 2021.

Wasn’t it 5K at launch ? So a third of its price off seems a fair bit to me how much do you expect

Lvrhs

77CX dropped a lot in 2020. Where I live, it started at 5000 Euro and are available for 3060 now. Compared to C9 it is very big drop in one generation.
77CX could cost 2500 with summer discount.
77C1 probably will launch at 4500 Euro(or Pounds for UK) and drop to same 3000 in November.
83 inch could be 7000 at launch

nekromantik

yeah but it always drops at the end of the year is my point so those looking to spend under 3.5k on the 77 OLED will need to wait until end of the year for the C1 77 to become similar price to what CX is now.

@Lvrhs wow that is good. 3050 is much cheaper then UK price at the moment. £3300 is our price now so 3050 euros is £2750 ish.

Lvrhs

But that price is with just 2 year warranty. We need to pay to get 4 year warranty, but at least, burn in is included.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett