NEWS: LG introduces 2021 Soundbar lineup

I am interested in the current model LG SN9YG, has recently dropped to £599. Not sure how it compares against the Samsung HW-Q900T.
Decisions Decisions..

Does anyone know when these release? I really would like to get the this new model LG SP8YA with Optional SPK8 rear speakers with then would make it 5.1.2. I heard it was this month , but wouldn't know who would sell it here in the UK.

Rehash. Old wine in a new bottle. Bye bye soundbars.

Everything you buy is a rehash. Products keep improving every time they release something new. So you could say everything's a rehash. I'm looking forward to reviews. I have a LG CX and any improvement is welcome.

Correct but my concern here is the speakers aka drivers and construction that look look the same as the outgoing model. Look at the inside of the SN11RG subwoofer. You can see it's made out of $10 compressed wood.

Last edited:
The LG UK website now has the manuals for the new range, but products page not listed yet.

Wonder how do they compare with Samsung soundbars, which I've read has many connection issues, which would drive me mad. May consider the 2nd tier model without the rear speakers.

Wonder how do they compare with Samsung soundbars, which I've read has many connection issues, which would drive me mad. May consider the 2nd tier model without the rear speakers.
Not easy to find reviews of the current LG range mid range. I have been looking for the LG SN9YG model.

Not easy to find reviews of the current LG range mid range. I have been looking for the LG SN9YG model.
I have an SL8Y (? not sure of exact model!

I haven't had any connection issues, either via eARC to my 65 B9 or BT to phones. The WiFi does work, but I only set that up to enable BT (if you don't have WiFi on BT does not work, oddly).

I got my sound bar with the TV but I wouldn't be happy paying £450 for it. I mostly agree with this review:

The atmos is shockingly good, considering it's just a soundbar, (the aeroplane scene in 1917 really did have overhead effects) but the overall sound just isn't great. It took me ages to get the subwoofer placement right, even with bass turned all the way down it was overpowering, it's now a good 6 feet away from the TV. Once that was done films can sound punchy and exciting, the opening 30mins or so of Mission Impossible 5 are dramatic, the music simmers in the backgound and then punches through, it's really nice. The night club scene in The Matrix really did sound like you were in a thumping tech-noir night club. Watching something quieter the speech and sound effects are clear, and actually dynamic range is pretty well judged for a living room system. During Apollo 13 the speech if legible but the lift-off doesn't blow a hole in your back wall.... Oh, and 'night mode' works really well, too. however when listening carefully to music it just doesn't cut it. It's difficult to describe but there just isn't the sense of excitement and 'noise'. Listening to 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins, even on my cheap portable BT speaker when the drums come in you get a frission of excitement, it's just missing on the LG. Listening to Paramore you don't get the dirty energy from the tracks. You then realise that you must be missing something from movies too, it' doesn't matter nearly so much when watching films, and it's fine for what it is, but you are missing...something. Something in the midrange just isn't quite right. My parents have a £100 'bar, with no subwoofer, I got free with my internet. It isn't much worse than my SL8YG.

I'd audition first.

Has the SP11RA HDMI 2.1? For example, can I connect my PS5 thru it and get 4k @120 hz?

Has the SP11RA HDMI 2.1? For example, can I connect my PS5 thru it and get 4k @120 hz?
I'm sure I am missing something, but why would you do that?

The LG soundbars have eARC, so you'd go PS5 -> TV -> soundbar (eARC over HDMI). You wouldn't be missing anything in the sound, eARC supports atmos etc.

You'd only have an issue if the PS5 was using codecs the TV did not support but the soundbar did, but even then you could use bitstream output to get around that(?) Maybe.

I'm sure I am missing something, but why would you do that?

The LG soundbars have eARC, so you'd go PS5 -> TV -> soundbar (eARC over HDMI). You wouldn't be missing anything in the sound, eARC supports atmos etc.

You'd only have an issue if the PS5 was using codecs the TV did not support but the soundbar did, but even then you could use bitstream output to get around that(?) Maybe.
But new LG tvs doesnt support DTS?

But new LG tvs doesnt support DTS?

TVs from popular brands except Sony doesn't support DTS passthrough. Sony supports it because of they are involved in IMAX enhanced program and the newly introduced Bravia Core streaming service.

LG website says it has 3 x HDMI 2.1 ports.

HDMI 2.1 (HDCP 2.3) - In / Out Yes(2) / Yes(1)

See link below for LG UK website specs.

LG SP11RA HDMI ports.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
If only manufacturers would tell us what features each socket has rather than give us a standard number which is almost meaningless. HDMI.org has required this for years. In theory manufacturers are prohibited from using standard numbers for sockets (and cables).

Stating the sockets are “2.1” suggests all features of the standard are there. Chances are they aren’t hence articles about “fake” 2.1. Speed bandwidth will be there for video resolutions (although that article linked above suggests not always where only eARC is there and 2.1 is “claimed) but VRR, ALLM etc doesn’t have to be there. In fact CEC (and any optional features of earlier versions) doesn’t have to be there either. The only audio any HDMI socket “must” pass is PCM 2.0.

Some manufacturers have reportedly added some 2.1 features to 2.0 sockets and kept within speed bandwidth so they have worked. As per that article nearly all have added eARC to what they call 2.0 so it appears the other 2.1 (only) features should be able to be added by firmware updates - they can’t since the electronics aren’t there to deal with the features.

Manufacturers - please state what features each HDMI socket on your devices supports. Giving the speed rather than the socket standard you have loosely based the electronics on would be far more useful. If a socket has 18Gb/s and eARC just say that and it will be much clearer that it won’t (can’t) have 4K/120Hz.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom