NEWS: LG Display unveils next generation OLED TV technology - New sizes and brighter panels

I don’t think the A1 was even mentioned in the press statement, but “info” out there saying it will be the new entry/more affordable with cut down features..who knows if the UK will get it , but would assume there is a market ..

Sorry, I meant the previous A series - they weren’t ever available here

I don’t think the A1 was even mentioned in the press statement, but “info” out there saying it will be the new entry/more affordable with cut down features..who knows if the UK will get it , but would assume there is a market ..
The interwebs also mentions there is a g1 83" but avf state 77" max

Sorry, I meant the previous A series - they weren’t ever available here

I don't thinks there's been an A-series OLED before. My guess is that they have been slowly gimping the B series (poorer chip since 2018, lower brightness since 2019 and fewer HDMI 2.1 ports since 2020) to try and prise the extra few hundred pound/dollars out of wallets for the C series. With Vizio managing to cut the price of their OLED to <$1000 at Black Friday (and presumably still turn a profit), the A series is likely LG's attempt to cater to this market and prevent Vizio from hoovering up the low end OLED sales.

The interwebs also mentions there is a g1 83" but avf state 77" max
Yeah most I’ve read have 83” in the oled mark 1 panel and this mark 2 version is 77”.
It will be interesting once Sony give a bit more, is their 83” a mark 2 panel or is it first dabs for LGE only..
So what happens to the 48” part of the leftover 77”G1 panel, are 48” getting a evo oled as the G1 portable is 55” :)

Some interesting developments on the OLED front this year from all manufacturers. I think I made the right decision not buying one last year and waiting to see what 2021 brought.

I would still be nervous about using an OLED as a computer monitor.

Not such a hazard with dark mode browser pages, program skins and power use time-outs to blank the screen via the OS inactivity timer (or even a screen saver). Hard to see how it would get imprinted if used as a PC monitor, TV, movies and games, all in one. Even the Xbox OS dims the display on its timer.

I have a 43 inch as monitor now, it's about the right size. 48 inch is a bit too much, in height as much as width, plus added bright area. I'd take the risk on a 42 inch OLED at the right price.

Last edited:
I don't thinks there's been an A-series OLED before. My guess is that they have been slowly gimping the B series (poorer chip since 2018, lower brightness since 2019 and fewer HDMI 2.1 ports since 2020) to try and prise the extra few hundred pound/dollars out of wallets for the C series. With Vizio managing to cut the price of their OLED to <$1000 at Black Friday (and presumably still turn a profit), the A series is likely LG's attempt to cater to this market and prevent Vizio from hoovering up the low end OLED sales.

There was a 1080p A7 - which was never released in the UK

Last edited:
i wonder what the price difference will for the G1 with the 20% brighter screen probably an extra £500 quid...roll on black friday lol

Compared to other Panasonic OLED-TVs but not to LG. My old B7 reaching around 300nits at APL 70%.

Better than any Panasonic OLED.

You're confusing your acronyms. In the post I responded to, you used the ABL acronym, which stands for Automatic Brightness Limiting.
In this post you're using APL, which stands for Average Picture Level. Two very different things!

You didn't share the source of your improved colour volume comment either...

Paul

Where did the claims of 20% better efficiency transform into these being 20% brighter?

I think the new Evo panel is unique to LG models as it doesn't rely on heatsink to increase the brightness and it is indeed a 2nd gen panel, whereas Sony & Panasonic use existing panel and apply heatsink for their high end models.

Shame that the new LG Evo panel is not available to C1 and is only available to models suited for hanging on the wall.

I think the new Evo panel is unique to LG models as it doesn't rely on heatsink to increase the brightness and it is indeed a 2nd gen panel, whereas Sony & Panasonic use existing panel and apply heatsink for their high end models.

Shame that the new LG Evo panel is not available to C1 and is only available to models suited for hanging on the wall.

id rather have it on the wall! and afaik you can still buy a stand separately for the wall hangers!

id rather have it on the wall! and afaik you can still buy a stand separately for the wall hangers!
Ideal is wall hanging but needs a lot of work to do that, like tidying the cable underneath the wall and all that, so that it looks neat and tidy. Not many ppl can hang on the wall.

Ideal is wall hanging but needs a lot of work to do that, like tidying the cable underneath the wall and all that, so that it looks neat and tidy. Not many ppl can hang on the wall.
The only alternate stand I saw was a tripod affair, which I didn't think looked very fetching.

i'm sure its only 2 cables if you have a receiver and it can look pretty neat as demonstrated in this video, because of the recess and cable management thread at the back of the tv and also lays flat against the wall. id never bury my cables in case something went wrong, but i know people like doing that I would hope the G1 would be the same type of design

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong but if (G1) going to be 20% brighter it will be on C9 (2019) level. Is this evolution that LG has decreased brightness in 2020 to add this brightness back in 2021? All this AI stuff doesn’t bother me at all as I would turn it off anyway 😀
I would be more than happy to hear 1000 nits finally but it seems it will never happen until QD Oled arrives one day.
To be realistic it seems there is almost no changes apart from the much higher price tag for this G1 model which will be on C9 brightness level.
So, what’s your thoughts guys?
But at what cost was the old brightness levels? It could just have been LG just ramping it up to keep up with others without additional protection.

Now it appears they have found (better) ways to up the brightness again and not have to be detrimental to panal life.

Or not, who knows but that's what I take from this. But I've not got the money to upgrade yet, so maybe next year for me.

It's interesting the wording in this press release:-
The company says all this will improve efficiency by around 20%, resulting in better brightness for more vivid images.
They don't say "brighter", only "better". So are they maybe not on about the screens actually being brighter at all?

I wonder whether they've simply adopted the new blue emitter from Cynora which was in the display industry news last spring.

It's a shame they're not rolling out this tech to the whole product line (maybe excepting the A series). I love my LG CX, but OLED TV technology has stagnated over the last two or three years and vendors do need to show that the HDR performance of their panels is progressing in the face of incrementally-improving miniLED LCDs at the lower end and the advent of microLEDs at the premium end.

How much do we reckon the 42" will cost, then? That'll be brilliant for smaller rooms.

I bet the EVO panels will be in C series in 2022 but they gimped the C1 as it offers not much for consumers to upgrade for.

I bet the EVO panels will be in C series in 2022 but they gimped the C1 as it offers not much for consumers to upgrade for.
I thought they specifically said the evo panels will eventually trickle down to all models? So makes sense they will be in the c models one day no?

Really glad a 42 inch model is coming out.

How much do we reckon the 42" will cost, then? That'll be brilliant for smaller rooms.
Really glad a 42 inch model is coming out.

Think just the panel itself is producible, no ones sadly announced any plans to manufacturer and sell one yet.

VT did feel perhaps this fall or early 2022 it may be possible here but nothing concrete:

Disagree with you. I think many people can and do hang from walls...

You're confusing your acronyms. In the post I responded to, you used the ABL acronym, which stands for Automatic Brightness Limiting.
In this post you're using APL, which stands for Average Picture Level. Two very different things!

You didn't share the source of your improved colour volume comment either...

Paul

No, I know what ABL and APL means.
ABL is measured at different APL levels from 1-100%! That´s what I often criticized that many reviewers don´t measering ABL at different brightness levels. The 100% and 10% window is not enough to show how the ABL is really working, even 25% and 50% is not enough for daytime viewing conditions. At high APL levels for daytime viewing, you need to measure maximum brightness in SDR higher than APL 25% and that´s the range where LG´s ABL design shines against Sony and Panasonic. The ABL from the 7 Series to the 9er Series was much more stable than the competition resulting in higher average brightness.

LGD improved the OLED stack for more efficiency (new blue) and more color purity (exchangig yellow green with new red and green emitter):

20% more efficient design means, the screen reaching the same brightness than before at 20% less energy and so it can be also brighter than before without harming lifetime.
That is the sense of new more efficient emitters. Reaching longer lifetimes at higher brightness.

According LG Display factory specifications for the new evo panels are APL 25% (SDR) 550nits, APL 100% 185nits. Last generation was 450/150 nits.
Peak brightness will be much higher than that (I guess around 900-1000 nits). All measurements without a heat sink and at better color purity at higher APL levels:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom