NEWS: LG Display unveils next generation OLED TV technology - New sizes and brighter panels

Wants to sell almost double, only time i’ve ever seen the CX out of stock is during sales.

Makes me wonder if they’ll be much cheaper this year, if this years 65” is £1899 that would sell many no doubt

i'm assuming the heat sink dissipation and surface acoustic is the new tech their talking about, available elsewhere but new to LG? but until we get some more detail we can only guess
The wording used in the article - " newly developed and highly efficient materials as well as the addition of a layer to the display" and " advanced next-generation OLED technology " - suggest a little more than a lump of metal, stuck on the rear of the panel. Part of it makes me think they'll be adding a quantum dot layer, which would be news worthy.

Paul

The wording used in the article - " newly developed and highly efficient materials as well as the addition of a layer to the display" and " advanced next-generation OLED technology " - suggest a little more than a lump of metal, stuck on the rear of the panel. Part of it makes me think they'll be adding a quantum dot layer, which would be news worthy.

Paul

i wonder why they have made their press release so vague? surely they would want to sing from the rooftops about there all singing all dancing panels!

Got this snippet online - hopefully more detail later.

The OLED evo (the new panel) emits light with more precise wavelength control, expressing a brighter and clearer picture quality compared to existing LG OLED screens," reports EKN.kr.

When Micro-LED comes along with OLED prices, then the nail in the coffin of OLEDs is guaranteed.
Unfortunately it's going to be a very long time until MicroLed tv's can be manufactured then sold at OLED prices. Plus currently none of the commercial or upcoming consumer MicroLeds tv's are a single panel.

Samsung Wall is multiple panels assembled by a technician. Upcoming Samsung consumer MicroLed tv's multiple panels already pre-assembled together in the factory before shipping. The new Sony commercial MicroLed tv's multiple panels joined together as well.

We could be waiting ten years or longer until MicroLed becomes much cheaper to manufacture. Plus is able to come in 4k, 8k resolutions using a single panel like normal OLED and LCD tv's.

We can only hope that this magical layer is actually a metal layer similar to what Panasonic attached in HZ otherwise it may be even more sensitive to burn in. Panasonic has done just perfect job because it doesn’t only increase brightness but also lets cool down the panel quickly to avoid any burn in.
I was laughing from burn in issue till during Covid times news channels info lines stayed permanently on my old good C6

Paul

That's a huge leap of logic IMO. I think as others have said, press releases are always vague... and pressy. You could be right though.

The most useful analysis tends to be by Vincent, as he's normally got other sources in the channel and has insight into what's up and coming in panel tech. In fact I think he already mentioned something about this before Christmas.

That's a huge leap of logic IMO.
Wishful thinking, more than logic.

The most useful analysis tends to be by Vincent, as he's normally got other sources in the channel and has insight into what's up and coming in panel tech. In fact I think he already mentioned something about this before Christmas.
He's currently none the wiser, like the rest of us.

Paul

What with all the TN, IPS, VA, 144Hz, Freesync, G-sync, HDR ... features in the monitor world (all "premium" features adding extra cost of course), my current monitor is a bit long in the tooth. I have been avoiding upgrading, and hoping for smaller OLED sizes for a while now, so great news.

While I could almost certainly make the 42" OLED work as a monitor by using it wall mounted or on a floor stand so that it is a bit farther away than my desk, I hope the 20-30" range TVs and monitors mentioned in the article will be OLEDs as well, and released fairly quickly. I have some savings from 2020 :p

Burn in that's caused by misuse, which is a lie..
Oops! at first glance I thought you wrote "Burn in that's caused by missus, which is a lie.." Last part added because the missus was looking over your shoulder as you typed. :D

Why only update the 77" with the latest panel seems strange. Also will they have sorted the gamma shift on VRR?

Is it known if the G1 is the direct replacement for the GX and will have the same wall mount?

What with all the TN, IPS, VA, 144Hz, Freesync, G-sync, HDR ... features in the monitor world (all "premium" features adding extra cost of course), my current monitor is a bit long in the tooth. I have been avoiding upgrading, and hoping for smaller OLED sizes for a while now, so great news.

While I could almost certainly make the 42" OLED work as a monitor by using it wall mounted or on a floor stand so that it is a bit farther away than my desk, I hope the 20-30" range TVs and monitors mentioned in the article will be OLEDs as well, and released fairly quickly. I have some savings from 2020 :p

I normally subscribe to 'Never say Never', but I'm not convinced that they will ever completely solve burn in and therefore I'm not completely convinced that OLED will ever really be suitable for a monitor.
Not a daily driver monitor anyway.

I say this as an owner of various displays, including all the tech you mentioned!

42" oled, OMG :eek: Was going for the 48" as a PC monitor, but 42" is way better in terms of size and distance in my case. Well done LG.

As per my post in the other thread, I haven't seen any LG source stating that the new panel is 20% brighter. LG Display (the panel maker, not the TV maker) have stated that the new panel is 20% more efficient. It's up to their customers (e.g. LG Electronics) to decide how to use this efficiency improvements - use it on lifetime/reduced burn-in, a brighter picture or mixture of both.

As pointed out above, it would not surprise me if this panel only ended up being slightly brighter than the C9 series. The fact that this panel only makes the G series tells me that the GX didn't sell as well as they hoped last year and they needed a more compelling case for people to spend the extra. Why not use the new panels in the C & G series. Will be interesting to see the price differential this year.

Also I've read that the B series is gone and replaced by the A-series which looses some features (I didn't see any specific details, but it's likely to ditch HDMI 2.1, use an Alpha 7 chip, more basic remote etc). Haven't heard anything about the W-series yet either.

It should have been;

A (affordable), HDMI 2.0, alpha 7
B (base) previously C
C (cinema) oled evo, only big sizes
G (gallery)

It’s a joke they introduced 48 inch OLED last year and then this year only LG are doing one and not in the new better panel

A series is meant to have a 60Hz panel (mentioned in one of then YT videos doing the rounds)

Well I’m optimistic this is a step change for OLEDS and if it is, fair play to LG! Should mean all offerings from each manufacturer will be improved.

A series is meant to have a 60Hz panel (mentioned in one of then YT videos doing the rounds)

Was never available in the UK was it?

Depends - Vincent thinks Europe gets the B1 and the US gets the A1. Not sure why LG would do that. Perhaps they are developing to a price point with the entry level A series targeting $999 (~£900 inc VAT) and the B series targeting £999 (for example).

The A series sounds like the begining of OLED moving to the mid-tier screens.

Was never available in the UK was it?
I don’t think the A1 was even mentioned in the press statement, but “info” out there saying it will be the new entry/more affordable with cut down features..who knows if the UK will get it , but would assume there is a market ..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom