NEWS: LG Display unveils next generation OLED TV technology - New sizes and brighter panels

Thanks, so this next generation oled panel, is this the same as the one we will see in the Sony a90j?

42 inch OLED - well that's new. Once again I will wait for Phil and Steve getting their hands on a screen and a comparison with the other releases for a true assessment.

Don’t get me wrong but if (G1) going to be 20% brighter it will be on C9 (2019) level. Is this evolution that LG has decreased brightness in 2020 to add this brightness back in 2021? All this AI stuff doesn’t bother me at all as I would turn it off anyway 😀
I would be more than happy to hear 1000 nits finally but it seems it will never happen until QD Oled arrives one day.
To be realistic it seems there is almost no changes apart from the much higher price tag for this G1 model which will be on C9 brightness level.
So, what’s your thoughts guys?

Don’t get me wrong but if (G1) going to be 20% brighter it will be on C9 (2019) level. Is this evolution that LG has decreased brightness in 2020 to add this brightness back in 2021? All this AI stuff doesn’t bother me at all as I would turn it off anyway 😀
I would be more than happy to hear 1000 nits finally but it seems it will never happen until QD Oled arrives one day.
To be realistic it seems there is almost no changes apart from the much higher price tag for this G1 model which will be on C9 brightness level.

Panasonic GZ2000 / HZ2000 OLEDs can do 1000 nits on a 10% window. Now it will come to other OLEDs as well.

Could the 42 be the 'off cut' from the 88 or 83 potentially (believe the 48 is the offcut from a 77 fabrication)? If so, will be interesting to see if the sales of one panel size in any way informs the pricing of the other?

Bet Bandings and to lesser extent..Tinting are to be found as well, which is the main problem and the main reason for returning OLEDs back to the retailer.

20% increase in brightness, which goes back to C9 level and then charging a huge premium for this 'increase' is a joke. When Micro-LED comes along with OLED prices, then the nail in the coffin of OLEDs is guaranteed.

Hopefully the 83 inch isn’t as ridiculously priced as last years 88 inch.

I believe the 83 inch will be a 4k model, rather than 8k, and will be available in the 'regular' C/G formats so should be a lot cheaper (that the Z88). These new sizes are made possible by the new fab, this should also reduce prices for all panels.

The GZ2000 etc, used a 'custom panel' (with a metal heatsink) which sounds different to this, which suggests it's a change in the make up of the panel itself... Presumably they will be able to put the metal heatsink on this new panel (that is being rolled out to more manufacturers this year, including Sony) to combine the improvements?

I may have misunderstood, and/or the press releases are deliberately slightly misleading, to give the impression of something new when they are just talking about what Panasonic have had for the last two years....

Last edited:
Panasonic GZ2000 / HZ2000 OLEDs can do 1000 nits on a 10% window. Now it will come to other OLEDs as well.
They do indeed. My GZ2000 measured at 1001 nits just last week, when I was calibrating for HLG.

An extremely vague article on exactly what these "new technologies" are and what they'll bring to the consumer. Although part of them, seems like a technology sharing with Sony and their 'Acoustic Surface'.
Hopefully more information will be forthcoming from the CES events this week.

Paul

When Micro-LED comes along with OLED prices, then the nail in the coffin of OLEDs is guaranteed.
And you expect MicroLED to be issue free?

There's not been a single TV technology that hasn't had an issue, all the way up to when it disappeared. With plasma, it was phosphor trails and image retention. And with the with the current LCD and OLED technologies, after more than a decade for each to mature, issues are still prevalent, including the two that you noted in your post.

MicroLED will not be the holy grail, it just may get us a step closer to it.

Paul

Hopefully this new efficient panel will be cross all sizes and not just the 77" (assuming it will be but statement only mentions the 77")

promises a new 77-inch OLED display which uses newly developed and highly efficient materials as well as the addition of a layer to the display. The company says all this will improve efficiency by around 20%, resulting in better brightness for more vivid images.

Not the same. Panasonic boosting peak brightness alone with white subpixel and Panasonic driven the panel harder because of their own heat sink (but ABL and color volume was not better than the LG OLEDs).
Upcoming G1, A90J etc. using a new developed WOLED panel with improved more efficient emitter design for higher color volume aswell.

42 inch at last! Finally an OLED for my living room

Well said! I already have an LG 65-inch C9 too. :)

They do indeed. My GZ2000 measured at 1001 nits just last week, when I was calibrating for HLG.

An extremely vague article on exactly what these "new technologies" are and what they'll bring to the consumer. Although part of them, seems like a technology sharing with Sony and their 'Acoustic Surface'.

Paul

Yes mate. The article is a bit vague but most likely because LG hasn't shared that much information.

I would still be nervous about using an OLED as a computer monitor.

Bet Bandings and to lesser extent..Tinting are to be found as well, which is the main problem and the main reason for returning OLEDs back to the retailer.

20% increase in brightness, which goes back to C9 level and then charging a huge premium for this 'increase' is a joke. When Micro-LED comes along with OLED prices, then the nail in the coffin of OLEDs is guaranteed.
so.. 10 years time?

Not the same. Panasonic boosting peak brightness alone with white subpixel and Panasonic driven the panel harder because of their own heat sink (but ABL and color volume was not better than the LG OLEDs).
Upcoming G1, A90J etc. using a new developed WOLED panel with improved more efficient emitter design for higher color volume aswell.
Panasonic also use their own power supply on the HZ/ GZ2000 models, it's not just the heatsink that allows the performance increase of peak white output. But, ABL is also less invasive, I've never seen it on my GZ2000.
Would you care to share a source with regards to the improved colour volume comment? It's another one of those comments I've seen unofficial mutterings of but, nothing from the manufacturers, specifically.

Paul

A GZ2000 with the new improved WOLED panel will be brighter than 1000 nits ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just let this thread be about the LG announcement and not owners of other manufacturers getting instantly defensive about their purchases?
Not even 1 page in and people are getting arsey. :suicide:

But, ABL is also less invasive, I've never seen it on my GZ2000.

Compared to other Panasonic OLED-TVs but not to LG. My old B7 reaching around 300nits at APL 70%.

Better than any Panasonic OLED.

I am looking forward to the Review(s) here when the actual physical TV's are released. This new technology sounds intriguing, but that's the whole point of Press Releases, isn't it - like a fabulous Trailer for a Film, & then the Film turns out to be either brilliant or complete A***.

Well new technologies come along all the time. That's just the natural evolution of displays. It will be a long long time yet though before a technology that isn't even on the market in a consumer level will have TV's in standard sizes that match OLED prices. Its taken us years to get OLED to the prices they currently are.

Paul

i'm assuming the heat sink dissipation and surface acoustic is the new tech their talking about, available elsewhere but new to LG? but until we get some more detail we can only guess

always find the new AI stuff put in tvs is smoke and mirrors to have a new marketing angle when really all we want is work on improving picture above anything else, it is a TV after all.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom