NEWS: LG Display OLED panel production set to increase

Good news for consumers i guess ! and maybe future production of smaller based panels like 32" will be possible.

Great news and hopefully translates into lower prices without having to wait for Black Friday madness!!

Great news to hopefully lower panel prices,
Let's hope they improve uniformity on the larger 77" panels..
The latest examples of the cx 77" panels are shocking.

Great news to hopefully lower panel prices,
Let's hope they improve uniformity on the larger 77" panels..
The latest examples of the cx 77" panels are shocking.

I hope you're right :(

oled.jpg

Is there any news on progressing the tech onwards, it's sort of stalemated the last 3 years. There's little in the panel tech between a C7 and C10 for example, i'd be interested in seeing peak highlights over 1000nits and less aggressive ABL

I would love to bite the bullet with an OLED, as a former Plasma owner. But I haven't parted with my cash because of the chance of screen burn and no guarantee that it won't happen. I have had image retention before on the Panny Plasma, when younger one left the PS3 on, but fixed it luckily after running some screen fix stuff on Youtube.
So I feel safer with an LED set, and sacrifice no true blacks. A new home awaits soon(fingers crossed, and I am looking for a 65".

I would love to bite the bullet with an OLED, as a former Plasma owner. But I haven't parted with my cash because of the chance of screen burn and no guarantee that it won't happen. I have had image retention before on the Panny Plasma, when younger one left the PS3 on, but fixed it luckily after running some screen fix stuff on Youtube.
So I feel safer with an LED set, and sacrifice no true blacks. A new home awaits soon(fingers crossed, and I am looking for a 65".
@SimonST was telling me that John Lewis now also cover screen burn (stated on the website) on their added 5 year accidental cover plan :smashin:
:smoke:

@SimonST was telling me that John Lewis now also cover screen burn (stated on the website) on their added 5 year accidental cover plan :smashin:
:smoke:
Thanks for that. I can see that there is a get out clause they can use.

WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guidelines

Why would watching TV be against their instructions?

Thanks for that. I can see that there is a get out clause they can use.

WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guidelines
any small claims court would rip them in 2 if they tried to say you were watching stuff that wasn't to manufacturer reccomendations.

Even if its news channels with tickers on the bottom.. everyone needs to get the news right?
They just have no leg to stand on with that line.

any small claims court would rip them in 2 if they tried to say you were watching stuff that wasn't to manufacturer reccomendations.

Even if its news channels with tickers on the bottom.. everyone needs to get the news right?
They just have no leg to stand on with that line.
I guess the point is, as it has been since OLED first arrived, that if you pay a few grand for a top tier TV you want it to last, you don't want to concern yourself about any extra costs to cover potential screen burn in or have to argue with the retail store management about whose liability it is if burn in happens, even though that store received a commission for the added product protection policy that they promoted and you bought.
LG and other brands have been given a lot of leniency with their warranties in recent years, just by making the wording legally ambiguous in their small print shouldn't absolve LG supplying a product fit for purpose, a product that the consumer should be able to use as they see fit, including viewing all types of content.
LG should be made responsible for replacing faulty panels, whatever the cause, for up to three years, which if you are prepared to invest time and money in litigation arguing about consumer rights laws protection you could be entitled to.
LG and other manufacturers know that most consumers wont bother doing this.

I guess the point is, as it has been since OLED first arrived, that if you pay a few grand for a top tier TV you want it to last, you don't want to concern yourself about any extra costs to cover potential screen burn in or have to argue with the retail store management about whose liability it is if burn in happens, even though that store received a commission for the added product protection policy that they promoted and you bought.
LG and other brands have been given a lot of leniency with their warranties in recent years, just by making the wording legally ambiguous in their small print shouldn't absolve LG supplying a product fit for purpose, a product that the consumer should be able to use as they see fit, including viewing all types of content.
LG should be made responsible for replacing faulty panels, whatever the cause, for up to three years, which if you are prepared to invest time and money in litigation arguing about consumer rights laws protection you could be entitled to.
LG and other manufacturers know that most consumers wont bother doing this.

I think the problem is that this would make OLED uneconomical, so then we wouldn't have OLED at all.
I'd rather have it as a choice, as it can join the long list of all the other imperfect screen technologies then :)

OLED is already hitting the lowest prices, very little between a B9 and a CX/10 in picture quality.

55B9 can be had for £1049 at the moment, which is very affordable considering the 55" OLEDs were £2,500.

This time next year the BX/10 will be less than a grand.

I dont see them getting much cheaper for a 55".

We might reach a point where 48" starts at £999

Honestly it's the 27" and 32" and 34" ultra widescreen that I'm looking forward, to get a quality OLED on the desk for the computer. I bought a VA panel 34" ultra widescreen and the picture in film and video content is still a disappointment if I compare it to my Panasonic 55FZ802 OLED.
They just need to include image retention as part of the warranty for everyone's peace of mind, and affordable prices, and we should be good to go.

Oh, and LG definitely needs to improve its reliability and customer support. They have 1 star out of 5 on Trustpilot UK, that should make everyone pause before purchasing an LG panel. They have to be in the wrong to have so many displeased customers.

Am surprised LG has not worked from 27"+ size screens, really could dominate the entire computer monitor screen market well actually create it and make millions overnight surely.

48" is just a bit too big for PC or console gamers or for bedroom sized TVs, 40" or 43" is the right size imo.

Am surprised LG has not worked from 27"+ size screens, really could dominate the entire computer monitor screen market well actually create it and make millions overnight surely.

48" is just a bit too big for PC or console gamers or for bedroom sized TVs, 40" or 43" is the right size imo.
They probably just can't be doing with all the screen burn issues from desktop pcs.
Entire offices full of small 27" oleds all sitting with static taskbars etc all day long.

They probably just can't be doing with all the screen burn issues from desktop pcs.
Entire offices full of small 27" oleds all sitting with static taskbars etc all day long.

Should the LG software tech like pixel refresher and pixel mover solve all those issues ?

Or guess its still a risky business venture given oled tech as you say

Should the LG software tech like pixel refresher and pixel mover solve all those issues ?

Or guess its still a risky business venture given oled tech as you say
Myself I wouldn't be confident leaving bright static icons or bright static taskbars on for 40+ hours per week.
Not so bad for gaming I guess as most of the screen is changing frequently.
But if for productivity and you use the same app or whatever all day long every day I'd start to consider other options personally/unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure that LG, like Panasonic, had plenty of time to refine their anti-image retention technology. My Panasonic OLED never showed any image retention, and my 2013 plasma, which was the last one of them to be released, had virtually no image retention after 5 seconds.

It's 2020. I think it's more the case of monitors not being profitable like televisions are from data mining what people watch and for how long, considering that so many are always connected to the internet, just like mobile phones. So if price is a major consideration, they will rather sell IPS LCDs than OLEDs, because LCDs are much cheaper to make.

Myself I wouldn't be confident leaving bright static icons or bright static taskbars on for 40+ hours per week.
Not so bad for gaming I guess as most of the screen is changing frequently.
But if for productivity and you use the same app or whatever all day long every day I'd start to consider other options personally/unfortunately.

Panasonic seem very confident they have the solution to IR/Burn-in with the HZ2000. Is it time that LG, Panasonic and Sony team up to mass produce the heatsinks, hence lowering cost, increasing peak brightness of the OLED panels and reducing the incidence of burn in?

Sadly if this did happen, I'm betting it would further increase the prices given the HZ2000's current pirce.

Panasonic seem very confident they have the solution to IR/Burn-in with the HZ2000. Is it time that LG, Panasonic and Sony team up to mass produce the heatsinks, hence lowering cost, increasing peak brightness of the OLED panels and reducing the incidence of burn in?

Sadly if this did happen, I'm betting it would further increase the prices given the HZ2000's current pirce.

Is this a common issue with LGs and other oleds with heat issues? I read panasonics use bigger heatsinks so have less failures.

Almost sounds like one needs to use some Silent Case fans or a laptop cooler strapped to the back of the oled screens !

Is this a common issue with LGs and other oleds with heat issues? I read panasonics use bigger heatsinks so have less failures.

Almost sounds like one needs to use some Silent Case fans or a laptop cooler strapped to the back of the oled screens !

I wouldn't worry about it. Most are fine. I think the only TV sets which got recalled are in Korea.

Thats more of a longterm plan going forwards which I described. Basically the heatsink provides multiple advantages on the highest end Panasonic OLEDs, so it would be nice if we saw that technology trickle down to every other OLED, albiet without the huge price tag.

Note Panasonic don't use this heatsink on their other OLEDs, only their highest end... due to cost.

It would also be nice if we saw 88 inch £30,000 TVs trickle down to <£10000 range. Again, all thoughtful lusting of higher end technologies and products which cost a lot of money, which we want to cost substantially less money.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom